Barnes and Noble

Report this Jan. 04 2010, 3:42 pm

Star Trek = 1 shelf

Star Wars = 6 shelves

Come on B&N!!  2/4 , maybe
                     3/3, would be nice
                     1/6, give me a break!!

Do you think you could expand the Star Trek section? Please?

grigori

Report this Jan. 04 2010, 5:38 pm

Now...in my 2 favorite used book stores, the situation is completely reversed.

So, what, do SW folks hang onto their books more than ST ones do?

Or have there just been more ST books sold over-all? :eyesroll:

sonofspock1

Report this Jan. 04 2010, 7:04 pm

Is Star Wars considered more "cool"?

Nuadha

Report this Jan. 05 2010, 12:32 am

I think that used book stores are (sadly) a sign of what is not selling/popular.     The local used book store used to have a huge section of Doctor Who books but I went there this weekend and while they had a ton of Star Trek books, they were completely out of Doctor Who.    DW has a very popular series right now, but I don't think the new Trek movie has done a whole lot to revitalize interest in Trek.

Sadly, there were no recent Trek books on the shelf, which makes me wonder if more people are looking for them or if the few people buying Trek right now are hard-core enough to hold on to the books rather than trade them in.

I hold on to faith that Trek will get jump-started down the road when they come out with a new tv series.      I don't see a movie series ever actually doing it.

DNA7077

Report this Jan. 05 2010, 1:07 am

Quote (sonofspock1 @ Jan. 04 2010, 4:04 pm)
Is Star Wars considered more "cool"?

Unfortunately, yes.

grigori

Report this Jan. 05 2010, 9:08 pm

Quote (DNA7077 @ Jan. 05 2010, 1:07 am)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Jan. 04 2010, 4:04 pm)
Is Star Wars considered more "cool"?

Unfortunately, yes.

apples & oranges, isn't it? only point of convergence is that their names sound similar--to your PARENTS! :D

This_Is_Not_A_Test

Report this Jan. 06 2010, 3:36 pm

Quote (challengerdyer @ Jan. 04 2010, 3:42 pm)
Star Trek = 1 shelf

Star Wars = 6 shelves

Come on B&N!! ¿2/4 , maybe
¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿3/3, would be nice
¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿1/6, give me a break!!

Do you think you could expand the Star Trek section? Please?

No, because Star Trek books don't sell as well as Star Wars books. It's that simple. Book stores don't care what you yourself a fan of, they care about how many copies of a book are sold. If more people bought Star Trek books they would stock more. The end.

Swahi24

Report this Jan. 06 2010, 5:56 pm

I just get my books from the library and not pay a bazillion dollars for a new book that you are going to read once, put in a box, and forget about. :)

juliansgirl7

Report this Jan. 27 2010, 7:09 pm

Quote (Swahi24 @ Jan. 06 2010, 5:56 pm)

none of the libraries near me even stock ST books

And  it's not B&N's fault.  Borders is the same way. B.Dalton (in Roosevelt Field mall) doesn't have ANY ST books at all

LtPondwater9

Report this Jan. 27 2010, 8:57 pm

I'm not a fan of Barnes&Noble. I like Books-a-Million the best. The store here has a healthy selection of Star Trek books. And there is always Amazon and Half.com as well.

Lunarflowermaiden

Report this Jan. 27 2010, 9:09 pm

Yeah I have noticed it over the past few years (in both Borders and Barnes and Noble). It used to be there was at least two shelves worth of Star Trek books, and perhaps four or five Star Wars. Now it is less than one shelf worth of Star Trek, and six or more Star Wars.

TheDriver

Report this Jan. 31 2010, 11:48 am

Well, doesn't it just boil down to the fact there are simply more Star Wars books in print?

I mean, back when I thought I might want to get into the DS9 relaunch, I found I was something like nine books behind. And didn't want to take the time to try to scour eBay for the ones I'd missed.

The collection Twist of Faith finally allowed me to jump in. (And boy, was that a bad decision. Ha.)

The point is... Trek books need to stay in print a while longer in order to compete. For frak's sake, the first Star Wars Timothy Zahn trilogy is still in print! But Star Trek books are pulled after just a few months?!? Wha-?

sonofspock1

Report this Jan. 31 2010, 7:56 pm

I was in my local bookstore yesterday, and there were more Trek then Wars there! :laugh:

This_Is_Not_A_Test

Report this Feb. 03 2010, 2:48 pm

Quote (TheDriver @ Jan. 31 2010, 11:48 am)

Books stay in print until it's no longer cost effective to print more. It's that simple. The first Timothy Zahn trilogy is still in print because it continues to sell enough copies to warrant additional printings. People like to pretend that it's because someone somewhere doesn't like them for some reason. None of these people have never taken a business course. There's no "wha--," no "gasp," and no "frak" about it. Publishing is a business. The end.

TheDriver

Report this Feb. 03 2010, 6:34 pm

Quote (This_Is_Not_A_Test @ Feb. 03 2010, 5:48 pm)
Quote (TheDriver @ Jan. 31 2010, 11:48 am)

Well, then clearly Star Wars is INSANELY more popular than Star Trek.

Which is the conclusion I had hoped to avoid.

Nevertheless, I'm stunned Trek books don't have a longer "shelf life"...

Users browsing this forum: darmokattanagra