Nicholas Meyer Comment

Vger23

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:05 pm

I thought it was interesting listening to the commentary between Nick Meyer and Manny Coto today on my TWOK blu ray.

Coto was talking about how the internet "for better or worse" allows film makers immediate access to audience reactions and feedback.

Meyer's immediate response was essentially that it is worse. He goes on to say that movies are art, and art is NOT a democracy. He says "if you don't like it, you don't have to watch it, but this is MY movie." He also says something to the effect of "you can't listen to the fans. The fans don't even know what they want."

I thought it was a great input, and something that I firmly believe in. The best Treks have been those that went on their own and didn't try to play to the fans.

I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Narada

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:12 pm

Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 29 2009, 6:05 pm)

I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Very good point and interesting thought to ponder. The only thing I will say is art may not be a democracy but it is still made for the people. And in cases when there are investors and the art work is funded then the needs of those investors and the audience must also be examined.

It can also be said an art work can function better or worse when this is taken into consideration. Sometimes the art work can be improved because 2 heads are better than 1. On the other side we can also say there are too many cooks in a kitchen. So I guess on this issue I agree more with Manny Coto even though I can very much relate with the views of Nick Meyer. The artist or director is the main person in charge of bringing this vision to an audience which may or may not include what the audience thinks they wish to see.

DammitJim6200

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:17 pm

Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 28 2009, 7:05 pm)

I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Nicholas Meyer should go sit on an egg..Fans control Star Trek,
If Fans didn't save Star Trek after the second season It would had died.
We made it.........And we can break it.

Narada

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:26 pm

Quote (DammitJim6200 @ Dec. 29 2009, 6:17 pm)
Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 28 2009, 7:05 pm)

I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Nicholas Meyer should go sit on an egg..Fans control Star Trek,
If Fans didn't save Star Trek after the second season It would had died.
We made it.........And we can break it.

Many things can break Star Trek. Especially fans which are determined to do so. I do not agree with fans who wish to break what they are a fan of. It is contradictory.

Fans do not control Star Trek. The franchise which owns Star Trek controls it. Is there not a quote by Roddenberry who once spoke on this subject if he allowed fans to control Star Trek what it would become?

DammitJim6200

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:30 pm

Quote (Narada @ Dec. 28 2009, 7:26 pm)
Quote (DammitJim6200 @ Dec. 29 2009, 6:17 pm)
Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 28 2009, 7:05 pm)

I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Nicholas Meyer should go sit on an egg..Fans control Star Trek,
If Fans didn't save Star Trek after the second season It would had died.
We made it.........And we can break it.

Narada, If fans didn't support Abrams' movie what would happen to Star Trek ?

TOS was cancelled in 69' who showed interest when it went to syndication ? FANS.
Who started the first convention ? FANS.

captbates

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:32 pm

Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 28 2009, 11:05 pm)

I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

There both correct, and every movie production team should have people with opposing thoughts like this.

captbates

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:35 pm

Quote (DammitJim6200 @ Dec. 28 2009, 11:17 pm)
Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 28 2009, 7:05 pm)

I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Nicholas Meyer should go sit on an egg..Fans control Star Trek,
If Fans didn't save Star Trek after the second season It would had died.
We made it.........And we can break it.

DJ, my Wacko-omiter just exploded when I read this.

here take these
*passes DJ some Valium*

TX_TREKKER

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:35 pm

Well Meyer is right to a certain point. It is very hard to please all the fans and yes you have ST fans of all generations. So naturally everyone is going to want to see different things. Just look at all the buzz the latest trek movie had. Some loved it some hated it and since we live in the internet age it is very easy to express those opinions. The directors know what people think of their movies before the box office stats. So, I don't think Meyer is dissing ST fans...its just more of a quick observation.

Narada

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:37 pm

Quote (DammitJim6200 @ Dec. 29 2009, 6:30 pm)
Quote (Narada @ Dec. 28 2009, 7:26 pm)
Quote (DammitJim6200 @ Dec. 29 2009, 6:17 pm)
Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 28 2009, 7:05 pm)

I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Nicholas Meyer should go sit on an egg..Fans control Star Trek,
If Fans didn't save Star Trek after the second season It would had died.
We made it.........And we can break it.

Narada, If fans didn't support Abrams' movie what would happen to Star Trek ?

Who started the first convention ? FANS.

I understand the value of fans. In the greater equation of what makes Star Trek a success they are just one part. You also need the general audience. You also need a good cast and production crew. You also need a franchise who is marketing the product correctly. These are all necessary to make Star Trek a success.

However if parts of this equation are not serving the overall purpose to make Star Trek a success then they are sometimes dropped from the equation. In the past this can mean parts of the cast or crew or even heads of the franchise or groups of fans. This is called staying relevant to your audience.

DammitJim6200

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:40 pm

Quote (captbates @ Dec. 28 2009, 7:35 pm)
Quote (DammitJim6200 @ Dec. 28 2009, 11:17 pm)
Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 28 2009, 7:05 pm)

I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Nicholas Meyer should go sit on an egg..Fans control Star Trek,
If Fans didn't save Star Trek after the second season It would had died.
We made it.........And we can break it.

DJ, my Wacko-omiter just exploded when I read this.

here take these
*passes DJ some Valium*

Stop it capbates, deep down you see my point..

TrekFan1701E

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:42 pm

Quote (DammitJim6200 @ Dec. 29 2009, 6:17 pm)
Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 28 2009, 7:05 pm)

I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Nicholas Meyer should go sit on an egg..Fans control Star Trek,
If Fans didn't save Star Trek after the second season It would had died.
We made it.........And we can break it.

Wrong fans shouldn't control Trek. If they did we would get crossovers with all the Trek series and Trek would crossover with other Scifi shows.

I agree with Meyers fans don't even know what they want. Some fans like the new movie others don't. Some think they should go foward others think Enterprise shouldn't have been cancelled.

captbates

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:45 pm

I dunno, I think the old days are gone, if they can make money from a movie without pleasing the fans, they will. They only thing the studios fear is a mass boycott of their merchandise (films etc) and I don't ever see enough people coming together for something like Trek, to make a difference.

GRKiller

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:49 pm

I agree with Meyer, for the most part. I think that directors should take some of what the fans want into consideration. However, if all the fans had great ideas, they would be writers/directors. Most Trek fan's have different things they want, so appeasing all of those wants would result in a very incongruent film.

Basically, it is what it is. You can enjoy it, you can hate it, but you cant change it.

Narada

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:50 pm

I think if the franchise is headed in an unsatisfactory direction the numbers will show this along with polls and reviews of people who are fans and not fans.

GRKiller

Report this Dec. 29 2009, 6:55 pm

The numbers? As in dollars? NuTrek did better numbers in its opening weekend than The Undiscovered Country, The Final Frontier, Insurection, and Nemesis did during there entire runs. And those numbers are adjusted for inflation.

Anyways, as a TNG fan, I like the way Trek is heading. I really dont think that fans should completely disown a franchise because of one film.