Jerry Goldsmith v. James Horner

Narada

Report this Dec. 26 2009, 3:23 pm

This is a very hard topic especially to consider all the great composers involved with Trek. Just to look at each of their resumes is like looking at a list of the best films ever made.

GreatBirdOfTheGalaxy

Report this Dec. 26 2009, 6:00 pm

Jerry Goldsmith

guideX

Report this Dec. 27 2009, 3:40 am

I'd have to say James Horners music keeps you interested where Goldsmith tends to loose you in spots. Horner has a better flow to his score, although on the downside, a lot of Horner music sounds the same.

AtoZ2

Report this Dec. 27 2009, 9:24 am

Goldsmith's score for TMP was extraordinary and would influence many Trek films and series to follow., that is why I chose him.

Horner did well on TWOK, but did a better score for TSFP, his music does tend to sound the same from movie to movie even outside Star Trek.

JM1ICEMAN

Report this Dec. 27 2009, 11:23 am

Goldsmith for TMP first and TFF second.

CatchMeIfYouKhan

Report this Dec. 27 2009, 12:25 pm

Quote (JM1ICEMAN @ Dec. 27 2009, 11:23 am)
Goldsmith for TMP first and TFF second.

I'd have to agree with that.

SirLoinOfBeef

Report this Dec. 28 2009, 8:27 am

The late Jerry Goldsmith

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 28 2009, 1:11 pm

Quote (AtoZ2 @ Dec. 26 2009, 3:24 pm)

I totally agree :)

qeylis68

Report this Dec. 28 2009, 5:56 pm

i like horner. i think he performed with the yellow jackets which i thought was a cool name.

i also liked cliff eidelman who did TUC. i thought his dark music fit well with the movie

right now i'm loving "two steps from hell" they mainly do music for movie trailers. they did 2 for the new trek movie and the preview with the song freedom fighters is probably my favorite of all. i wasn't going to see this movie until i saw this trailer with that song and i'm glad i did. also to note this won best in show at the movie trailer awards. yes they have awards for that to lol

qeylis68

Report this Dec. 28 2009, 9:49 pm

Quote (TheChronicOne @ Dec. 28 2009, 6:14 pm)
Wow! I wasn't aware that the music in trailers is completely different than the film score.

yes this group have done music to many movie trailers over a few years. their music is hard to get and i believe only available to order from their web sight. they have a bunch of albums loaded with 2 minute music for the trailers they have done over the years. its weird to listen to but i like it

JM1ICEMAN

Report this Dec. 28 2009, 10:57 pm

Quote (TheChronicOne @ Dec. 28 2009, 9:56 pm)
That's interesting! I was completely unaware.

Learn something new everyday. :cool:

See, you can teach an old dog new tricks

...fetch the stick, fetch the stick...

JM1ICEMAN

Report this Dec. 28 2009, 11:10 pm

Sorry, no, just these Snausages

JazzTNG

Report this Jan. 12 2010, 11:24 am

James Horner did a great job with his Trek score but I have to go with Jerry Goldsmith overall.

Personally, the biggest problem I have with James Horner overall is that he copies *himself* too much from film to film (something I noticed greatly in Avatar) and he does not help himself by basically redoing his The Wrath Of Khan score for The Search For Spock - I mean, Jerry Goldsmith used his Trek "theme," used his Klingon theme as a musical motif for Worf, and brought back a musical motif from First Contact for Data ¿in Nemesis but he never reused a score from a previous Trek film for another one.

Goldsmith, for me, defines what Star Trek *sounds like* - his Trek theme (and TNG's theme) and the Klingon theme especially do this - and, quite simply, always seems to get a perfect mix of beauty, terror, and epic into all his scores. His score for Star Trek: The Motion Picture is easily his most epic and is not only one of the best Trek film scores but is ¿one of the most classic space sounds (right up there with Holst¿s "The Planets" and John Williams' Star Wars score). His score for First Contact is my personal favorite of his film works and the entire group of Trek scores - the beauty of the main First Contact theme together with the frightening Borg pieces, moody action/adventure tunes, and his spot-on musical timing easily make it my favorite. His score for Insurrection is also one of the best Trek has seen with a very graceful and peaceful theme for the Ba'ku and a strong, ¿sweeping, but simple motif for the action scenes. Even though his scores to The Final Frontier and Nemesis do not stand out as strongly as the three scores I previously mentioned, they are still great pieces of music. Oh yeah, Goldsmith for me.

Of course I think that Ron Jones and Dennis McCarthy did a great job on their TV Trek work - and I am a HUGE fan of McCarthy's score for Generations.

Captain_Venkman

Report this Jan. 12 2010, 11:45 am

I'm going to go with James Horner, simply for the fact that I prefer the opening theme to TWOK/TSFS to the TMP/TFF/TNG theme. Unfortunately I was never really a fan of the TMP theme.

That being said, I do agree with JazzTNG that Horner does tend to copy himself a lot. For instance I was watching Aliens the other day and there's a recurring theme through the movie that sounded a lot like the theme used in TSFS during the scenes where the Klingon vessel is closing in on the Enterprise. Also I thought the part in Aliens where the colony explodes sounded like a mixture of the music used when Reliant was about to explode and Enterprise was trying to escape and I'm sure I heard a few bars of the music used when Kirk stole the Enterprise as well.

JazzTNG

Report this Jan. 12 2010, 11:50 am

Thanks!

Users browsing this forum: darmokattanagra, FleetAdmiral_BamBam