ST XI's dubious distinction

Unregistered_Guest

Report this Dec. 24 2009, 11:45 pm

According to Fox News ST XI is the most PIRATED movie of 2009.

There were eleven million illegal downloads of the film.  Transformers was a close second.

So what does this say about ST fans?  Cast your vote or give another alternative explanation for this criminal activity.   :question:

familyphotoshoot

Report this Dec. 25 2009, 12:21 am

I voted other. I pirated it because I refuse to pay for something twice. I already paid to see it in theaters. If I hadn't seen it in theaters, I would have paid for the DVD. I do this for every movie.

Batteryman

Report this Dec. 25 2009, 7:05 am

I voted other.  I believe that Star Trek fans went out and bought the DVD ASAP we dont care about the money we just want our trek.

The folks that bought the pirate copies are (most lilely) the ones with the casual intrest and the gift givers.

Dan NJ

JM1ICEMAN

Report this Dec. 25 2009, 9:24 am

Quote (familyphotoshoot @ Dec. 25 2009, 12:21 am)

In other words your a disrespectful crook with no moral or ethical standards by which to live by.
You certainly learned no lessons about life from watching Star Trek.

Tell me, when you go to a diner for dinner, then go again and order the same thing, do you sneak out of the place with out paying?

Narada

Report this Dec. 25 2009, 5:42 pm

Illegal downloading is bad and people who do it are breaking the law. Of course it still happens and some people feel justified in this behavior but it remains a direct copyright violation. I do not judge people in their behavior but I do not support illegal downloading either.

RomulusRemus

Report this Dec. 25 2009, 7:45 pm

I voted other... Star trek fans are all of the above. :D

Narada

Report this Dec. 25 2009, 7:53 pm

Quote (RomulusRemus @ Dec. 25 2009, 7:45 pm)
I voted other... Star trek fans are all of the above. :D

:laugh:  :p

Mirrorgirl

Report this Dec. 26 2009, 2:24 am

I voted Other...Star Trek Fans are impatient.

I was given a downloaded copy about 4 weeks after the movie was released (I had seen it five times at the cinema by this stage). It was a poor-medium quality Russian recording, but it was very handy for getting lines of dialog sorted out. Watched that many times waiting for the official release, which I bought the day after release. I have watched this store bought copy many times and have enjoyed all the Special Features.

Star Trek fans (and others) are downloading and purchasing and that's that.

Narada

Report this Dec. 26 2009, 4:37 pm

These are all good points made. Again I do not support illegal downloading but I do not judge people who do this either.

One topic asks if it is justified to obtain an illegal copy if you see it in the theater and buy the dvd? This can be considered acceptable but there are still problems. This person may not "hurt" the business because the product was still payed for. But it is still contributing to a problem which is many people downloading it illegally without paying. There is also a chance someone will watch an illegal copy and decide not to see it in theaters or buy the dvd. This also happens sometimes.

Recently there was something about the Wolverine movie getting leaked early. This can be compared with what is an illegal copy. People may see this copy and choose not to see the movie in theater or on dvd. This can lead to hundreds of millions of dollars being wasted because people downloaded illegally. So this can do damage to the industry.

There is a difference between recording something from television and downloading an illegal copy. If a television station bought the rights to broadcast that movie you have a right to record it. However you cannot make it available as a copy for others to purchase. Illegal downloading does not fall under this category.

Vger23

Report this Dec. 26 2009, 5:25 pm

My guess is that a ton of people downloaded it because they didn't want to wait for the DVD release. I'm sure that a good percentage of those who downloaded it also bought a copy when it came out on DVD.

I almost downloaded it for that reason, but I did not...and figured it would be better to wait for the real, high-quality thing.

I'm glad I waited.

Narada

Report this Dec. 26 2009, 5:51 pm

Yes the real copy is much better from any internet copy which was available. Winning this award of "most pirated movie of 2009" is a mixed blessing. It is good to know so many people wished to see the movie but then again they did not even pay for it. And if there were not internet copies available then would that translate into more ticket and dvd sales? A certain amount of internet exposure is a great thing but to be the most pirated movie of 2009 is not the greatest achievement. Even still at least it was Star Trek!

:laugh:  :cool:

Unregistered_Guest

Report this Dec. 27 2009, 2:55 am

Quote (VAD_BAXTER @ Dec. 25 2009, 5:59 am)
Simple it just goes to show that people have a genuine lack of respect for society. The people that pirate movie are thieves and should be treated accordingly. ¿One post says he did it because he "refuses to pay for the same thing twice". Well the thing is when you see it in a movie theater you are paying to SEE the movie. When you buy the DVD you are paying to own a copy of the movie not see it. Therefore you are NOT paying for the same thing twice.

Is this a case of the pot calling the kettle black?   I might be wrong but it seems to me that I've seen posts by you talking about how you were busily making "back-up" copies of your DVD collection.

I'm sure you know that doing that is also totally illegal.  Not saying it should be, just that it is.  But I feel your pain as I have done the same thing.

guideX

Report this Dec. 27 2009, 3:33 am

I saw it in the theater and then bought the DVD. Sci Fi is one thing I pay for, Windows as well, almost everything else is pirated :D

I was unsure how to vote, so I voted other. I'd say that a lot of people who watched this movie are not fans, making this poll difficult

Unregistered_Guest

Report this Jan. 01 2010, 12:03 am

Quote (Mirrorgirl @ Dec. 25 2009, 11:24 pm)
Star Trek fans (and others) are downloading and purchasing and that's that.

That is not that.  The math doesn't support your conclusion.
XI has sold about 6 million DVDs, so compared with 11 million downloads it is obvious that more people are getting illegal copes than are getting legal copies.  If people were just downloading "early" and then buying a proper copy 11 million should have been purchased.  And that does not count all the bootleg DVDs that were purchased, or given free as in your case.

Imagine how many would have sold if there were no ways to get a copy other than legally.  No wonder studios are upset by this.

fooledagain

Report this Jan. 01 2010, 10:11 am

The pirating of Trek is horrible and shameful. It is just plain stealing! If you go to a museum and pay to see a piece of art (shite), you pay every time to see it! What is the difference?

This piracy only proves that Mr. Spork is right in the episode "The Trouble With Tribbles" when he says, "Jimmy my boy, society is going down the toilet."

Fortunately, after 2012 we won't have to put up with these scurrilous pilfering pirates anymore!

Users browsing this forum: Drunkin Druid