Dr. Pulaski

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Dec. 23 2009, 7:53 am

I just started rewatching season 2, and have developed a new appreciation for Dr. Pulaski's character. Kind of refreshing after season 1 to see a somewhat non-PC character on the show, and in my opinion a much better actress than Dr. Crusher.

I think Dr. Pulaski's character was also very important in the development of Data's character. Her somewhat bigotted attitude towards him brought out more human reactions and individuality.

RunnerX13

Report this Dec. 23 2009, 8:34 am

I liked her too, I remember her being very unTrek like for the time.

PhantasmX

Report this Dec. 23 2009, 6:51 pm

I wonder how many complaints were poured in to CBS/Paramount before they caved in and gave the part back to McFadden.

subytrek

Report this Dec. 23 2009, 6:56 pm

In a lot of ways I liked Pulaski more than Crusher. At least Pulaski had a personality and was willing to stand up for what she thought was right and on occasion butt heads with different members of the crew. In contrast, Crusher was pretty bland.

LtPondwater9

Report this Dec. 24 2009, 7:59 am

She was alright. I liked Dr.Crusher better but I didn't totally dislike Pulaski.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Dec. 24 2009, 3:43 pm

She was alright, but I liked Beverly better :D

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Dec. 24 2009, 4:19 pm

I liked her too, and I thought Trek fans were stupid in this case.  At the time, Gates McFadden was an incredibly horrid actress (for proof watch the episode The Naked Now).  Sure I will admit she got better when she came back (I often joked around about it and tell people that she went to actor's school while she was supposedly away at Starfleet Medical).

However Muldhair was a much better actress, and Pulaski was a better and more fun Doctor.  She reminded me a lot of how McCoy was, and whenever Trek fans decided to hold a stupid grudge because she once called Data, "dat-a" was silly, and it was wrong to completely dismiss her character because of that one single incident.  In fact my guess is that Trek fans didn't watch that season, because later on Pulaski mentioned that she had a greater appreciation for Data.

Look I understand that in TNG Data is God and can not have anything negative said about him, but isn't that philosophy a bit simple minded to begin with?

spacemonster

Report this Dec. 24 2009, 10:57 pm

Muldaur was a much better actress all around. For that reason, she was able to receive and execute more lines. That's why you see so much of Pulaski written in -- simply because Dianne could do the job right. Gates, meanwhile, was a background actress just used as filler and not for lead parts other than politically correct equal opportunity 1 episode per year kind of thing.

TRAVISJAMES03

Report this Dec. 25 2009, 9:53 pm

I always found it strange that she was never credited in the opening credits - only the "Special Appearance by Diana Muldaur" - very odd.

It was like TPTB knew that she was only going to be on the show a brief time.

PhantasmX

Report this Dec. 26 2009, 1:19 am

Quote (TRAVISJAMES03 @ Dec. 25 2009, 9:53 pm)

It was like TPTB knew that she was only going to be on the show a brief time.

The producers were testing the water, that's all. If the complaint levels did not reach critical mass, Pulaski will surely be a permanent member of the crew.

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Dec. 26 2009, 3:51 pm

There was absolutely no reason why Trek fans should have complained.

PhantasmX

Report this Dec. 26 2009, 4:26 pm

Quote (RedShirtGuyNumber1001 @ Dec. 26 2009, 3:51 pm)
There was absolutely no reason why Trek fans should have complained.

I didn't. But that was the news I heard.
McFadden was fired for contract dispute blah blah blah...
Fans revolted.
Producers have no choice but to reinstall McFadden.

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Dec. 26 2009, 4:35 pm

Yeah I know I really didn't understand that at all.  I guess I always wondered what Gonja those fans were smokin.  I mean McFadden was horrible. come on closet TNG fans explain yourselves!

captbates

Report this Dec. 26 2009, 5:13 pm

Quote (starbase63 @ Dec. 23 2009, 2:11 pm)
I liked Pulaski for the fact she was a character that "present day" folk could relate to in a sea of futuristic superhumans.

I always expected it to be revealed that she was either related to Leonard McCoy or learned under him at Starfleet Medical, but it never happened...would have made her character make perfect sense.

:logical:

Yeah, it would have made sense (maybe a little corny though)
She was a great doctor, but kinda at odds with technology, just like McCoy.

captbates

Report this Dec. 26 2009, 5:17 pm

Quote (Yanks @ Dec. 23 2009, 9:03 pm)
Quote (Commander_Zelkar @ Dec. 23 2009, 7:53 am)

She never got the respect she desirved. She had history with trek and was better than Beverly I thought.

But she didn't have that "relationship" with Picard so we got Beverly back.

Exactly Yanks, the whole Picard, Bev, Wes connection had potential, and seeing as Picard was the main character, his development would have primary to any of the other cast.