Doctor Who: The End of Time

sonofspock1

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 6:14 pm

"Hello, faithful viewer!", as RTD would say, but not for much longer!

Well, as we are a mere nine days from Part One of The End of Time, we might as well get the ball rolling on the Tenth Doctor's last adventure, and remember David Tennant's four year stint as the Doctor.

Feel free to share your highs and lows of Tennant's era, from his first (and some would say best, Christmas Special), The Christmas Invasion, to this final (and hopefully, not anticlimactic) battle with the Master in the two part story The End of Time.

From what little we know, TEOT should work. Then again, it is a massive 135 minutes long. At times, 60 minutes is stretching it, so parts of this will probably drag. And are some Regeneration stories just dull? The first half of Chris Eccleston's (Bad Wolf) is just plain boring, in my opinion. Why? Because for the "Next Time" trailer at the end of Boom Town, right at the and of it, is a Dalek screaming "ALERT! ALERT! WE ARE DETECTED!" And then I spent 35 minutes waiting for the Doctor, Rose and Jack to discover the Daleks. At least the actual Regeneration episode (The Parting of the Ways) was pretty good, even if the way of defeating the Daleks is akin to waving a magic wand.

Anyway, back to Tennant. RTD has said that we will be sad, and cry; yadda, yadda, yadda. He said that for Journey's End, and I was just plain angry for a week afterwards.

Anyway, enough ranting from me. Someone else say something!

Allons-Y!

lostshaker

Report this Dec. 17 2009, 12:44 am

"The Girl In The Fireplace" is on my highs. I can't say I've got a low for the Doctor in the series from 2005 to present. I enjoyed The Waters of Mars. I liked how the Doctor stepped over the line because he didn't have a companion to keep him in check; and I liked how the lead woman robbed The Time Lord Victorious of trying to control time.

I'm thankful for the past decades of Doctor Who, otherwise this dry spell would be driving me crazy.

PeregrineC

Report this Dec. 17 2009, 4:40 am

It truly breaks my heart that Tennant is leaving the roll...but I am looking forward to seeing the new Doctor in action, nonetheless.

PeregrineC

Report this Dec. 17 2009, 5:54 am

Quote (Shuttle @ Dec. 17 2009, 1:59 am)
I thought 'Blink' was an excellent story.

'Blink' was excellent. It reminded me a lot of some of the classic episodes...the ones in which the Doctor was kind of in the perifery of the story. It scared the HELL out of my niece, though...I got in trouble after that one. Ooops...

Dalek_Caan

Report this Dec. 17 2009, 6:21 am

The girl in the fireplace would have to be one of my favourites aswell, but i think the best was the end of the cult of skaro. Dalek Sec being exterminated by Caan really just slapped me back into the relisation that Daleks are pure evil and the greatest villians of all time.

Oh and the doctor was good to ;)

out_of_this_world

Report this Dec. 17 2009, 12:14 pm

Quote (Shuttle @ Dec. 17 2009, 4:59 am)
I thought 'Blink' was an excellent story.

Blink is one of my favourite Tennant era episodes however its not that 10th doctor-tastic! I would love to see Sally Sparrow reappear with a later Doctor.

In my opinion the best 10th doctor episode award goes to the Story arc at the end of season three, I love John Simm's version of the Master and I really can't wait for him to return. I'm unsure of how they are going to make him returning in the same regeneration as before when his body got cremated? does anyone have any thoughts as to how this will work?

sonofspock1

Report this Dec. 17 2009, 3:12 pm

Blink is the best episode of the Tenth Doctor's era. Ironic that he hardly even appears in it though!  :laugh:

My personal favourite Tenth Doctor moment is probably the last scene in Gridlock, where the Doctor admits that he lied to Martha. And he tells her about the Time Lords the Time War, and he describes Gallifrey. It's just a great scene, and not a monster in sight.

As for the Master...

Well, he always comes back, doesn't he? I always smile when people say "How can the Master come back?! HE DIED THE LAST TIME!!!" I say, when has a little thing like death ever stopped the Master?

lostshaker

Report this Dec. 17 2009, 4:32 pm

"Gridlock" and "Blink" are fantastic episodes. Those two plus "The Girl in the Fireplace" form my holy trinity of 10th Doctor episodes. I remember hoping that Sally Sparrow would become a companion at a later point.

lostshaker

Report this Dec. 17 2009, 4:35 pm

Quote (out_of_this_world @ Dec. 17 2009, 12:14 pm)

out_of_this_world, one of my favorite moments came from this episode too. I simply loved the Doctor having Martha go around the world and simply telling a story of hope. As the Doctor would say... "Fantastic!"

sonofspock1

Report this Dec. 17 2009, 8:36 pm

On the negative side...

Planet of the Dead. :sick:

Why? An atrocious companion in Lady Christina (not hepled by Michelle Ryan's "acting"); a rubbish plot which would barely entertain in a normal 45 minute slot, let alone a 60 minute one; the Tritovores are just men in suits, the Swarm were as scary as a can of baked beans; and of course, a flying double decker bus.

I swear to God, when the bus started rearing up like a horse, I just groaned.

Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Easily the worst episode since the 2005 revival. It may come across that I'm being far too hard on POTD, but I absolutley hate it with a passion. I haven't seen it since it aired. Tried to watch a repeat at Hallow'een, I could'nt take it after 25 minutes.

lostshaker

Report this Dec. 17 2009, 8:51 pm

Quote (out_of_this_world @ Dec. 17 2009, 12:14 pm)

I recall a ring that survived the cremation process. The Master's evil laugh was heard over a shot of the ring, which only reflected, but was not consumed by fire.

sonofspock1

Report this Dec. 17 2009, 8:55 pm

^ You'd have to assume Lucy Saxon has a part to play.

Amazing really. The Master has a brilliant plan, has the Doctor right under his nose, victory was almost assured... but he still had a back-up plan.

And people wonder why he's coming back next week! :laugh:

out_of_this_world

Report this Dec. 18 2009, 4:26 am

Quote (sonofspock1 @ Dec. 17 2009, 8:55 pm)
^ You'd have to assume Lucy Saxon has a part to play.

yeah I saw her on the preview trailer but then she killed him before, but perhaps that will turn out to be a part of a bigger plan, who knows.

sonofspock1

Report this Dec. 18 2009, 4:44 pm

Quote (out_of_this_world @ Dec. 18 2009, 9:26 am)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Dec. 17 2009, 8:55 pm)
^ You'd have to assume Lucy Saxon has a part to play.

I'll hazard a guess that the Master told Lucy to do "something", in case everything went to pot with the Toclafane.

A friendly warning: The BBC had a press preview of TEOT I last night, so beware! Spoilers can be found anywhere!

sonofspock1

Report this Dec. 18 2009, 5:55 pm

The Beeb confirmed that Matt and Karen are off to Croatia early next year to film an episode!

And the Moff has confirmed that an Alien race will be returning in S5/S31/S1. Absolutely gobsmacked to hear that they'll be back.

I. Am. Shocked.

And I am not talking about Daleks!