Who do you want to direct TREKXII

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 12:56 pm

Difficult choice...I went for Meyer, only because he seems to have been the most successful Trek director so far, and seems to be able to get a good balance between things that are essential to Trek, and things that are essential to blockbuster film-making (which is something that I don't think all fans understand).

Why I didn't pick the others:

JJ Abrams - I DO think the man is talented, but he sometimes seems better as an ideas man than as a director (eg. Cloverfield, most episodes of Lost)

Antonio Banderas - Quite a leftfield suggestion, considering he's not at all well known in the sci-fi genre, and has only directed one film so far (and I haven't seen it, but it has a grand score of 5.6 on imdb).
I wouldn't be against seeing Banderas IN Trek, but IMO he doesn't have enough experience in directing or in sci-fi to handle the next trek film.

George Lucas - Star Wars episodes I, II and III...Jar Jar Binks...'nuff said! :laugh:

Jonathan Frakes - I haven't seen the TNG films, so I can't comment on his directing style...but going back to what I said about Meyer having the balance between Trekdom and Hollywood blockbuster, I wonder if Frakes is too tied into Trek to achieve the same balance (but like I say, I haven't seen his films, so for all I know he could be the most talented director ever! )

Somniac

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 1:07 pm

Guillermo del Toro

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 1:10 pm

Quote (Somniac @ Dec. 15 2009, 7:07 pm)
Guillermo del Toro

Now that's an interesting choice...he's proven he can do blockbusters with Hellboy, and he can also do dark and interesting with Pan's Labyrinth and The Devils Backbone (which is superb for anyone who hasn't seen it! )

Unfortunately I think he's going to be tied up with The Hobbit for the forseeable future!

Somniac

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 1:15 pm

Shame. I think he could bring something really special. Dunno if he's even a fan though. I think the director should be.

Vger23

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 2:05 pm

I voted for JJ Abrams for 2 reasons:

1. Obviously, they did SOMETHING right with this past effort...so I think changing that formula without good reason would be somewhat ill-advised.

2. Nick Meyer made some great contributions, but I think Star Trek has entered a new phase, and it is better served to move forward with the totally new creative team. If anything, adding Meyer as a WRITER would be a good choice.

Mirrorgirl

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 2:11 pm

I went with Frakes. He is a very talented Director (First Contact is great film and great Star Trek). He knows Star Trek intimately and it might appease certain members of the fandom ;)

subytrek

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 2:12 pm

Until Abrams completely screws up and the next movie stinks to high heaven and fails then I say stick with him.

Vger23

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 2:30 pm

Quote (starbase63 @ Dec. 16 2009, 2:15 pm)
Quote (Mirrorgirl @ Dec. 16 2009, 2:11 pm)

Only thing is, a studio would potentially balk at Frakes' track record..."Clockstoppers" and "Thunderbirds" didn't make big splashes at the box office...his only other two movies were Trek...

:logical:

Frakes almost directed what became "Minority Report."

I guess they decided the other guy had more experience.

:cool:

Vger23

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 2:34 pm

Quote (VAD_BAXTER @ Dec. 16 2009, 2:32 pm)
Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Dec. 16 2009, 9:56 am)

I appologise for this I meant Quentin Terrintinto (Director of Inglorious B@stards) not Banderas.

Antionio Bandares would be sweet though, Bax!

MORE LENS FLARES, I TELL YOU MAN!

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 2:42 pm

Quote (VAD_BAXTER @ Dec. 15 2009, 8:32 pm)
Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Dec. 16 2009, 9:56 am)

I can see why you would get them confused ;)

:laugh:

Only joking Bax ;)

RomulusRemus

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 2:48 pm

I'm still waiting for Star Trek XI.

Narada

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 3:19 pm

Out of these choices I go with Abrams because he did a good job with the last film and they know what they are doing.

SpaceTherapist

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 3:19 pm

I voted for JJ Abrams. I think he did a fine job with Star Trek XI.

My long time dream is to have Steven Speilberg direct a Star Trek movie.

Pooneil

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 4:53 pm

Edgar Wright should direct the next Star Trek movie. He's an absolute nerd, he understands special effects and action scenes, and he's an excellent director. He's also managed to co-write every movie he's directed, which is a good way to get creative control and make sure the movie makes sense (a big reason I think Nemesis failed -- writer and director seemed to have different ideas).

JM1ICEMAN

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 6:19 pm

I voted with JJ Abrams, he has a fresh new look for Star Trek while maintaining original feel and spirit of the series.

Meyer's is a good choice and has directed fine films, but I'm not sure he's up to directing big budgeted features, and he didn't quit capture the original efel and spirit of the series.

Lucas admires Star Trek but already stated he'd never direct one. He wouldn't be a choice for me any way.

Frakes is merely an actor turned director who at best does mediocre films. Not a choice for me either.

Antonio Banderas AKA Quentin Terrintinto might prove interesting at the very least. We would see severed heads on the bridge talking to one another.

Spielberg is probably a closeted fan and would indeed turn in a grand film...but I can't imagine him actually ever doing one.He would also probably include major changes along the lines of what Abrams team did.

Peter Jackson would be a cool choice, the film would be 4 hours long with a special 12 hour long DVD version.

James Cameron would be a natural for Trek, but if you think Abrams changed things too much, Cameron would turn in something utterly fantastic and completely unrecognizable at the same time.
Would it be Star Trek, I don't know, but it would be a star trek.

Users browsing this forum: sonofspock1