ST-TMP Dilemma

Vger23

Report this Dec. 15 2009, 8:44 am

So,

I've got a buddy that I coach with who came with my wife and I and a big group we brought to see Trek XI on opening weekend. He's a movie fan, but has never seen any Trek movies, TV shows, or anything.

He loved the new Trek movie, and it has inspired him to want to watch the other flicks. He wants to start with TMP, and go in order.

So, here's the dilemma!:

I have all 11 movies on BluRay disk. I think that, without a doubt, the BR of TMP is the most astounding. It looks fantastic. There is DEFINITELY a significant difference in the appearance of the film in the BR format. That being said, as you all know, the BR is the theatrical release.

I happen to be a huge TMP fan, but I think that the Robert Wise "Director's Cut" DVD is a far-and-away better version of the movie than the theatrical release, mainly due to some of the SFX clean-up and (particularly) the new sound mix and added background sound effects.

So, which version do I show him? I'm leaning more toward the Director's Cut becuase that's the better film overall, but I keep going back to how absolutely blown away I was when I first watched the TMP BR, and I wonder if I'm short-changing the guy by not showing him that.

Thoughts?

Mirrorgirl

Report this Dec. 15 2009, 8:53 am

Golly, that's a tough one Vger. I knows theres will be folks who will disagree with me, but I say The Directors Cut, it's the better film (it could be improved with faster pacing and lots of added lens flare...just kidding :p ).

I remember coming out out the cinema in 1979 and feeling very let down because the magic wasn't there, chemistry yes, but not the lightening in the bottle, yes the effects are out of this world, but they are in both versions, so go with the one with improved pacing, it's still EPIC.

Just my thoughts, for what it's worth

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 15 2009, 9:32 am

Well I've only seen the DC so can't really comment.

But if it helps at all, as a noob who'd only seen STXI and (at the time I watched TMP) a handful of TOS episodes, the DC of TMP completely blew me away!

(And it remains my fave Trek film so far)

Vger23

Report this Dec. 15 2009, 12:40 pm

The decision is made...I'll go with the DC.

That's where I was leaning anyway!!

:cool:

SpaceClown77

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 3:17 am

Quote (VAD_BAXTER @ Dec. 15 2009, 11:19 pm)
Show him the DC first, then show him the original version after wards. :logical:

That's if he wants to see it a second time! :laugh:

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 5:20 am

Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 14 2009, 6:40 pm)
The decision is made...I'll go with the DC.

That's where I was leaning anyway!!

:cool:

Let us know what he thinks when you show it to him :)

Vger23

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 8:00 am

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Dec. 16 2009, 5:20 am)
Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 14 2009, 6:40 pm)
The decision is made...I'll go with the DC.

That's where I was leaning anyway!!

:cool:

Let us know what he thinks when you show it to him :)

He loved it! We fired that sucker up and enjoyed it start to finish!

I think I'll probably let him borrow the BR just in case he wants to do the comparison.

He was headed out after watching TMP and I said "let me know when you're up for TWOK" and he said "I can't wait!"

:cool:

Mirrorgirl

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 8:06 am

Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 16 2009, 10:00 pm)
Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Dec. 16 2009, 5:20 am)
Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 14 2009, 6:40 pm)
The decision is made...I'll go with the DC.

That's where I was leaning anyway!!

:cool:

Let us know what he thinks when you show it to him :)

He loved it! We fired that sucker up and enjoyed it start to finish!

:cool:

That is just so cool Vger, bravo...so another trekkie in the making  :cool:

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 8:37 am

Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 15 2009, 2:00 pm)
He loved it! We fired that sucker up and enjoyed it start to finish!

:cool:

Yay!

I'd be really interested to know how many fans who are new to the franchise and have seen TMP actually liked it. I wonder if, going in without all of the expectations people must have had on its original release allows people to just sit back and absorb it better?

Mirrorgirl

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 8:53 am

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Dec. 16 2009, 10:37 pm)
Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 15 2009, 2:00 pm)
He loved it! We fired that sucker up and enjoyed it start to finish!

:cool:

Yay!

You make a very good point (as always( Mrs S. I hadn't thought of that. It's entirely possible.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 9:01 am

Quote (Mirrorgirl @ Dec. 15 2009, 2:53 pm)

All part of my masterplan to make TMP the most popular Trek film! ;)

But seriously, I loved it, my sister loved it, even my 8 year old niece enjoyed it...and now Vger's friend enjoyed it too.

Anyone else?

Vger23

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 9:15 am

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Dec. 16 2009, 9:01 am)
Quote (Mirrorgirl @ Dec. 15 2009, 2:53 pm)

All part of my masterplan to make TMP the most popular Trek film! ;)

Anyone else?

MrsS,

I don't know if you are a fan of collecting, but I definitely know you are a fan of TMP! If you ARE interested in Trek collectibles in any way, you should surf around on eBay sometime and just look at all the interesting TMP merchandise that is out there.

At the time of TMP's release, there was a MASSIVE merchandising campaign that would rival any of the campaigns done for "Star Wars." There were tons of very interesting and unique TMP-related items that were released. You can find some really cool stuff on eBay from that era, not the least of which are:

Topps Trading Cards
TMP Marbles
Match books
T-shirts
A lunchbox
TMP-style phaser squirt guns
McDonald's Happy Meals
etc. etc. etc.

Check it out sometime. Even if you don't have the cash to drop, it's fun looking at all the unique little trinkets they released to promote the movie back then.

And yes, it's EXTREMELY fun introducing another person to Trek. I've been lucky enough to do it twice now. I met my wife in January of 2002 when we started dating. With Nemesis looming that same December, she had said "I've never seen a Trek movie, but I want to go see this new one with you...so you have to catch me up on all these movies I've never seen!" Now, my buddy is kind of in the same boat. I think the most interesting thing is that you get to live vicariously (spelling?) through them, and it's ALMOST like watching the movies again for the first time, which is a rare experience for me since I've seen them all WAAAYYYY too many times to count!

:laugh:

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 9:38 am

Quote (Vger23 @ Dec. 15 2009, 3:15 pm)
MrsS,

Topps Trading Cards
TMP Marbles
Match books
T-shirts
A lunchbox
TMP-style phaser squirt guns
McDonald's Happy Meals
etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for the tip Vger. I don't know if I'm a huge collector, but I'd be interested in t-shirts or figurines, maybe posters...that kind of thing.

I shall have a look tonight :)

Vger23

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 9:54 am

Quote (starbase63 @ Dec. 16 2009, 9:24 am)
I've got almost the whole set of Topps cards and a phaser water pistol... :D

:logical:

I have the whole set and some doubles!

Let me know if you need anything to complete your collection, SB. I'm in a generous mood!

:cool:

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 10:59 am

Quote (starbase63 @ Dec. 15 2009, 4:04 pm)
I'll check my book when I go home...have them in sleeve pages, along with all the Star Wars cards, Charlie's Angels, Close Encounters, and so on...

:logical:

Close Encounters cards? NOW I'm impressed! ;)

Users browsing this forum: Narada, 22123magic