HELP! The Captain's Summit DVD special feature

Report this Dec. 11 2009, 6:33 pm

You know those re-releases of the first six movies from May? And the four Next Gen movies that where released only recently?

I can get them all in a nice shiny boxset tomorrow for ¿45 (entitled Legends of the Final Frontier). Not a bad deal, but to be honest, I'd only be really getting them for the extras, especially those two 80 minute documentaries.

Are the extras worth the money?

Mirrorgirl

Report this Dec. 12 2009, 12:28 am

Jello_Biafra

Report this Dec. 12 2009, 2:51 am

Yes, they are.

Report this Dec. 12 2009, 6:18 am

Those seem like resounding and definate answers... I think I'm sold on the idea now!

Thanks! :)

Report this Dec. 12 2009, 4:50 pm

So I got my purchase.

Glanced through all the movie discs, and they seem fine. Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis sound hysterical on the Insurrection commentry!

And, at last, I came to the disc that made me decide to buy this boxset, The Captain's Summit. Put the disc in... and those dreaded words appeared on screen: "Unable to read disc".

Balls.

:( :( :(

Back to HMV, ASAP!

Report this Dec. 12 2009, 9:17 pm

Quote (TheChronicOne @ Dec. 12 2009, 11:38 pm)
That's what you get for buying bootleg crap!! ¿ If I understood your post, anyways.. 45 what? Pounds? Or dollars? ¿The sets at my local store at $72 for the first six movies and $42 foor the next 4.

I ¿would like to find the movies all together in one set with the captain's thingy and special features included, too.. but they don't seem to have it and I couldn't special order it when I tried. ¿*shrug*

Chronic, it wasn't bootleg crap! :laugh: It has the Paramount Mountain proudly displayed on the underside of the box! Those cheapskate bastards!  :laugh:

The currency, because that is what they insist we call it, it the Euro. 12 dics for 45 euro. The board doesn't understand the euro symbol, even though it comes up when I'm typing this up in the reply window! To buy them individually costs 70 euro for I to VI, and 30 euro for VII to X.

Again, the set is called Star Trek: Legends of the Final Frontier Collection. A cube shaped box, with the refit Enterprise on five sides. And it is very, very blue.

Report this Dec. 13 2009, 7:28 am

I should mention this as well. It was released here the same day as whne ST XI was released on DVD/Blu-Ray, and it was selling then for 70 euro. Even then, it was a pretty good deal. I ws pretty shocked to see it reduced 25 euro in a month.

Report this Dec. 13 2009, 8:59 am

Bad news, Chronic.

I checked on Memory Alpha. The Legends of the Final Frontier Collection is only availible in Region 2. Sad to say it, but if you want 'em, looks like you'l have to dish out $104 for the two sets.

Report this Dec. 13 2009, 8:55 pm

Quote (TheChronicOne @ Dec. 13 2009, 4:37 pm)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Dec. 13 2009, 7:59 am)
Bad news, Chronic.

BULLCORN!!!!!!!

Star Trek is AMERICAN made, dammit. ¿:laugh:

If anyone should pay less it's US, if someone should pay more, it's you guys. ¿:laugh:

*dismissive snort*

Excuses, excuses...

:laugh:

Report this Dec. 14 2009, 3:39 pm

You know, you could always immigrate to Europe...

:laugh:

Report this Dec. 14 2009, 8:40 pm

Cheque's in the mail, Chronic! :rookie:

Just watched The Captain's Summit. Marvelous viewing. I did wonder had I made the right decision when I bought the boxset, cos I had broken my cardinal rule: "Never give the bastards more money for stuff I already have in some form". Well, in this case, it was a good move. Part 3 of TCS was great stuff to watch, especialy when Whoopi asked 'em at the end what Trek meant to them. It'd be interesting to sit down Brooks, Mulgrew, Bakula to hear their views, but I would really like to here from Pine, as he's just starting out. Just don't make me buy another boxset!

As for the faulty disc... The disk was fine. My poor seven year old PS2 (which is only used for DVDs nowadays), it seems in old age the Disc Reader on the PS2 goes a tad crazy in old age, and won't play certain discs. So Paramount were not to blame.

This time. :laugh:

Report this Dec. 15 2009, 6:01 pm

Quote (TheChronicOne @ Dec. 15 2009, 3:01 am)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Dec. 14 2009, 7:40 pm)
Cheque's in the mail, Chronic! :rookie:

This time. :laugh:

My PS2 slim had trouble reading the Star Trek DVD at first... for some reason, after I loaded up the digital copy, then put the original back in, it worked.

Finicky DVD player, it's not the best, but has suited me well for years, like it has you I'm sure.

Anyways.... I'm going to go ahead and shell out the $130 like an idiot so I can get these shits as well.

We'll compare notes on the captain's summit dealies.

I had problems with Next Gen DVDs on the PS2 down through the years, I always assumed it was the fault of the disc, and not the PS2. It's gets pretty snarky with some BBC DVDs though. Maybe cos they're British...  :laugh:

The menus are a bit rubbish though. The Two Disc sets from a few years back had great menus.

I do love a good DVD Menu.  :laugh:

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 5:45 pm

I got the Star Wars: The Clone Wars movie on DVD a few weeks ago, and all that was on it was a Director's Commentary! If you want Making-Of documentaries, you've to buy the Blu-Ray. That's becoming more common, hardly moting on the DVD, but all the extras on the Blu-Ray.

Cheating Bastards. :angry:

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 6:17 pm

Never! Blu-Rays are evil and are not to be trusted! They try to tempt us with 7.1 sound and shiny pictures!

We must not yield!

:laugh:

Report this Dec. 16 2009, 8:06 pm

Quote (TheChronicOne @ Dec. 16 2009, 11:59 pm)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Dec. 16 2009, 5:17 pm)

We must not yield!

:laugh:

Hell no!

For me to justify buying one, it would mean I'd have to buy a new TV first to make it worthwile.

My grandpa is a dumbass, he keeps saying "Well for the life of me I don't see any difference in the picture" (After some TV stations went to HiDef).

He just doesn't understand that his TV didn't magically upgrade itself to adapt to the new signal.

Well, anyways, my point is that my TV is old enough that a blu ray player wouldn't benefit me at all.

Plus my DVD library wouldn't be as useful any more.

Piss on Blu Ray. I'll get one in a few years when the prices aren't ridiculous.

FIGHT THE EVIL!

Uncanny. My anti Blu-Ray argument is exactly the same. Old tv, piles of DVDs rendered useless, ridiculous prices...

Oh, hang on... I'm not talking to myself again, am I?

:laugh: