Mulgrew interested in being in the next Trek movie

brcarthey

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 12:27 am

I just read on a couple of different sites that KM is interested in being in the next Abrams Trek movie. Sci Fi Now asked her if she'd consider a role in the new films and she responded, "I would, I'd love to return to Janeway. I'd love to do her in a movie. I think he'd be wise to do it, don't you? He should get me and Picard in there. It's a brilliant idea."

That may come across as a little arrogant, but I'd still welcome it. She also apparently had no love for Sisko, but oh well. :p

Abrams said in a separate interview that any worry about bringing back established characters was negated by the first film's success.

I think if the other established characters from the modern series survived and more or less had the same outcomes, I'd become more accepting of these new movies.

thoughts anyone?

DRAGON_ROSE

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 6:52 am

yeah that should be good.

exodus201

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 9:12 am

No, keep Janeway and the othe captains out of it.

Let Kirk stand alone and not make it into some cheesey Trek cameo who's who.

Spock passing the torch in the first film is good enough.

Besides, in J.J.Abrams & Roddenberry's TOS, Janeway isn't even born yet.
Enough with the time travelling already.

teya1020

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 12:05 pm

Quote (exodus201 @ Dec. 03 2009, 9:12 am)
No, keep Janeway and the othe captains out of it.

Let Kirk stand alone and not make it into some cheesey Trek cameo who's who.

Spock passing the torch in the first film is good enough.

Besides, in J.J.Abrams & Roddenberry's TOS, Janeway isn't even born yet.
Enough with the time travelling already.

Applause!

No, Kate, it's not a brilliant idea. In JJ's universe, Janeway may never be born.

kludge77

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 12:51 pm

Quote (teya1020 @ Dec. 02 2009, 9:05 pm)
Quote (exodus201 @ Dec. 03 2009, 9:12 am)
No, keep Janeway and the othe captains out of it.

Let Kirk stand alone and not make it into some cheesey Trek cameo who's who.

Spock passing the torch in the first film is good enough.

Besides, in J.J.Abrams & Roddenberry's TOS, Janeway isn't even born yet.
Enough with the time travelling already.

Applause!

I have to agree. If we're going to go this new route. I hope they commit to it.

But if a campy cameo does happens, I hope it's our favorite captain that gets the spot.

exodus201

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 1:00 pm

Not only that but fans sit around here and b Itch endlessly about how B&B ruined Trek for them.
Ruined it so much that J.J. had to create a alternate universe to get Trek back on track and watchable for the mass audience again.  Why in God's name would he want to go  & bring back the characters that many blame B&B used to cause Trek's decline?

teya1020

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 1:09 pm

Quote (kludge77 @ Dec. 03 2009, 12:51 pm)
Quote (teya1020 @ Dec. 02 2009, 9:05 pm)
Quote (exodus201 @ Dec. 03 2009, 9:12 am)
No, keep Janeway and the othe captains out of it.

Let Kirk stand alone and not make it into some cheesey Trek cameo who's who.

Spock passing the torch in the first film is good enough.

Besides, in J.J.Abrams & Roddenberry's TOS, Janeway isn't even born yet.
Enough with the time travelling already.

Applause!

I have to agree. If we're going to go this new route. I hope they commit to it.

Well, that would be Sisko for me.

At least, since Sisko is a Prophet, then there'd be some logical way to insert him into the alternative past.

The last thing I want to see is campy cameos of characters who have no business being in the new timeline.

Lynx677

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 2:52 pm

Bring back Janeway, no matter if it's in that screwed-up timeline.

That would give the authors of the current Relaunch books something to think about.  :D

kludge77

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 3:03 pm

Quote (teya1020 @ Dec. 02 2009, 10:09 pm)
Quote (kludge77 @ Dec. 03 2009, 12:51 pm)
Quote (teya1020 @ Dec. 02 2009, 9:05 pm)
Quote (exodus201 @ Dec. 03 2009, 9:12 am)
No, keep Janeway and the othe captains out of it.

Let Kirk stand alone and not make it into some cheesey Trek cameo who's who.

Spock passing the torch in the first film is good enough.

Besides, in J.J.Abrams & Roddenberry's TOS, Janeway isn't even born yet.
Enough with the time travelling already.

Applause!

I have to agree. If we're going to go this new route. I hope they commit to it.

Well, that would be Sisko for me.

Sisko. That would be interesting... Given his current 'hosts'

brcarthey

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 5:15 pm

well, i'm not suggesting that it be done in a time travel way. that's how we got into this abram-verse to begin with.  but, i think it would be interesting to somehow interweave one or two of the modern captains (or other characters) into the story somehow (other than time travel).

as far as abrams making trek watchable for the mass audience, my view is that he gave the mass audience what they wanted a SW-esque movie within trek.  if you look at all the SW movies (even the bad ones) they far and away surpassed even the best trek movies. so, abrams (being the SW fan he is) followed that formula and it brought back audiences for better or worse.  but, since VOY detractors have re-watched VOY to give it a second chance, i will do the same for this "trek" movie soon.

teya1020

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 5:20 pm

Quote (brcarthey @ Dec. 03 2009, 5:15 pm)
well, i'm not suggesting that it be done in a time travel way. that's how we got into this abram-verse to begin with. ¿but, i think it would be interesting to somehow interweave one or two of the modern captains (or other characters) into the story somehow (other than time travel). ¿

How? Flash forwards? How about Captain Braxton sends Janeway back?

No. No. No. No. No.

I am absolutely dead set against dropping cameos into films for no other reason than to assuage fans. If it can happen and it's seamless, okay, but I can't imagine how dumping Janeway into the middle of this timeline could be seamless.

The purpose would be to gratify Kate. Frankly, I've found the new cast tremendously likeable and I can't see anything they've done to deserve the diva on set with them.

brcarthey

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 6:11 pm

Quote (teya1020 @ Dec. 03 2009, 5:20 pm)
Quote (brcarthey @ Dec. 03 2009, 5:15 pm)
well, i'm not suggesting that it be done in a time travel way. that's how we got into this abram-verse to begin with. ?but, i think it would be interesting to somehow interweave one or two of the modern captains (or other characters) into the story somehow (other than time travel). ?

How? Flash forwards? How about Captain Braxton sends Janeway back?

No. No. No. No. No.

you're right in that it has to be seemless, but i do enjoy cameos.

i know i'm in the minority in wanting to see some of the modern characters in the new movies.  if i'm left behind b/c i don't like a poor man's version of SW with a cast fresh out of "the OC," that's fine.  but, my criticisms go beyond that which is not the point of this thread

so would cameo's placate me? maybe, maybe not. but i think it'd be fun to see if the modern characters occur and if they end up the same way.  IMO, that's part of the fun of parallel universes.

JOYOFVGR

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 6:34 pm

^I agree. I think with Star Trek anything is possible and all options are on the table. But I don't like the idea of a forced cameo appearance either. It should be part of advancing a good story.

brcarthey

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 6:41 pm

i just had an idea of how KM could be in the movie and still satisfy all the janeway/KM haters.  she plays janeway's great-great grandmother who's killed aboard a starship or passenger ferry when it's attacked. she, along with her family on board, are killed. therefore, no more janeway in this timeline.  i'm sure most, if not all, janeway and KM haters would stand up and applaud right in the cinema when it happens.

kvlc

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 6:54 pm

put her in an alien suit so we dont go "oh look thats janeway" every time she's on screen.