The Wrath of Khan

irishmann

Report this Dec. 01 2009, 1:47 am

I know for many years now the benchmark for all Star Trek movies has been TWoK. I'm relatively new here and I don't know of this has been asked but are there any posters out there that didn't like The Wrath of Khan? I personally consider one of the best if not THE best ST flick but I was wondering what you other posters thought.

Narada

Report this Dec. 01 2009, 1:54 am

Welcome! I have seen a few around here who do not like this movie but most people seem to enjoy it. I like the movie but it is not my quintessential version of Star Trek.

:cool:  :cool:

SaturnsRings

Report this Dec. 01 2009, 2:11 am

Of all the TOS movies I like Khan equally as much as I like The Motion Picture, Search For Spock, Voyage Home & The undiscovered Country. I even like Final Frontier but just a tad less than the others.

HaventGotALife

Report this Dec. 02 2009, 9:03 am

I like the first two films. The rest are okay. TNG movies are bad.

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Dec. 02 2009, 10:46 am

Chronic LOL,

I actually do dislike TWOK on various levels, yet we never see many topics on why TWOK is not a good TREK film.  I bring it up in conversations about other TREK films to prove a point, which quite simply is no matter how good a film the fans think it is in truth it is just as flawed as any of the others.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 02 2009, 10:48 am

I really enjoyed TWOK, but I don't think it deserves its reputation as the holy grail of Trek films.

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Dec. 02 2009, 10:51 am

It's a good film just not good TREK. :logical:

HaventGotALife

Report this Dec. 02 2009, 11:21 am

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Dec. 01 2009, 11:48 am)

I think it's an enjoyable movie. Every scene develops the relationship with Kirk and Spock. We have a great exploration of scientific achievement versus the use of that power. Genesis is like nuclear technology. And it is the same decision that was made in the Eugenics at the end of the 20th century.

"How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life."

This is a theme throughout this movie. We ask the question asked of every main character--Saavik (Kobiashi Maru), Spock (the destruction of the Enterprise), Kirk (Khan's revenge, Spock's death), and Khan (his wife). And it eventually makes you think about how you would deal with it.

With as much depth of this material, they do it without having it seem heavy-handed and stretching the mind. It's high-concept and it feels like real action.

It's good. A very good movie.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 02 2009, 12:01 pm

Quote (starbase63 @ Dec. 01 2009, 5:50 pm)
Usually STII:TWOK and STVI:TUC seem to duke it out for top honors

I still haven't seen TUC! (I'm rubbish, I know)

I'm really interested to see what I make of it now, and whether I'll like it more than TMP.

Just to be sure, TUC is the one with Valeris, right?

SpaceTherapist

Report this Dec. 02 2009, 12:06 pm

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Dec. 01 2009, 1:01 pm)
Quote (starbase63 @ Dec. 01 2009, 5:50 pm)
Usually STII:TWOK and STVI:TUC seem to duke it out for top honors

I still haven't seen TUC! (I'm rubbish, I know)

Just to be sure, TUC is the one with Valeris, right?

Yes, that is the one. You should see it! Report back to us what you think it is a good Star Trek movie.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 02 2009, 12:08 pm

Quote (SpaceTherapist @ Dec. 01 2009, 6:06 pm)

Thanks.

I've asked for it for Xmas. But I've still got TFF to go first as well...or should I just skip that one? :laugh:

...only kidding!

God_in_an_Alcove

Report this Dec. 02 2009, 12:09 pm

TWoK is a good movie, but it's definitely not the best.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 02 2009, 12:09 pm

Quote (TheChronicOne @ Dec. 01 2009, 6:08 pm)
Even if you are tending a fire and bathing a small child. Drop everything and go get it!

:laugh:

MrsStarbuck

Report this Dec. 02 2009, 12:16 pm

Quote (starbase63 @ Dec. 01 2009, 6:11 pm)
Yes...who was originally intended to be Saavik.

:logical:

Interesting.

Why did they change it? Because they couldn't get Kirstie Alley back, and the Saavik from TSFS was pants?

SpaceTherapist

Report this Dec. 02 2009, 12:17 pm

Quote (God_in_an_Alcove @ Dec. 01 2009, 1:09 pm)
TWoK is a good movie, but it's definitely not the best.

What do you think the best is?

Users browsing this forum: Drunkin Druid, darmokattanagra