Who else does not like all those flaslight flares

Nirmanakaya

Report this Nov. 23 2009, 10:11 pm

I personally do not mind a few of them,  but they were everywhere at all times!  I found them annoying.

What is your take on them?

SaturnsRings

Report this Nov. 23 2009, 10:14 pm

I have gotten used to them. Sure, he should tone it down a bit in the next movie but not eliminate them, but all in all they really don't bother me.

TheTimeDoctor

Report this Nov. 23 2009, 10:16 pm

They really didnt bother me actually.

TheDriver

Report this Nov. 24 2009, 3:54 am

Very stylish and cool.

SpaceClown77

Report this Nov. 24 2009, 6:07 am

I found them annoying to say the least. They don't seem to add anything to the film at all.

I hope JJ gets rid of 'em in the next one.

Mirrorgirl

Report this Nov. 24 2009, 6:28 am

:cool: :rookie:

DS9TREK

Report this Nov. 24 2009, 6:52 am

Horrible. They didn't even look like real flares caused by the environment.

If JJ wants flares let him remove the filter from the camera and he can have real, rubbish looking flares messing up the film.

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Nov. 24 2009, 9:18 am

I didn't notice them until I watched it on DVD. I'm not thrilled by them at all.

:logical:

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Nov. 24 2009, 9:34 am

Quote (starbase63 @ Nov. 24 2009, 6:21 am)
:O

How did you not notice them in the theatre?

:logical:

The first and second time I saw it in the theater I was amazed by the acting and watching every detail as closely as possible. It took me until my fourth time seeing it in theaters to where I can actually say I was watching the film like everyone else.

:logical:  :logical:

Captain_Storma

Report this Nov. 24 2009, 10:45 am

Annoying. Just like the camera, which appears to have been handled by a drunken cameraman.

Suggestions for the next film:
Get rid of the flares, and make an alcohol test for cameramen before you hire them.

Vger23

Report this Nov. 24 2009, 12:54 pm

I think if you focus on them, they are annoying and pointless. If you allow them to simply blend into the texture of the movie (like lighting, atmosphere, background noise, etc), it gives this Trek film a unique style and feel that some of the others lacked.

I'm indifferent to it, really. It neither irritates me nor does it fill me with any particular glee.

Cherry_On_Top

POSTS: 2039

Report this Nov. 24 2009, 12:59 pm

didn't even notice them to be honest.

Cherry_On_Top

POSTS: 2039

Report this Nov. 24 2009, 1:13 pm

I wasn't saying they weren't there ;)

1701AtoE

Report this Nov. 24 2009, 1:57 pm

I am not thrilled of them on DVD/BD. Some are cool, but too much. Adding tons of flashes and the whole viewing experience gets quite "trying."

I advanced frame by frame, and noticed in some scenes (e.g., the bridge looking out to debris field) it literally was "flashed" every other or 2 frames.

I normally not bothered by them in other action films, but some how on my 50" TV I find myself had to tolerate, and I have high tolerance.

The worst is actually for those who are flash/strobe light sensitive. So more problems with TVs up close and on younger kids. I let my boys watch the Enterprise ship scenes including bridge, but make sure not in darkness. The problem is, I worry about the bright flash/strobing light-induced seizure (epilepsy). It was big news in Japan when an episode of Pokeman caused 700 people from 3 to 58 years of age to have simultaneous seizure in 1997.

Now just about every action/violent video game has the seizure warning label. Maybe these types need to as well. I just recommend cutting back.

Unregistered_Guest

Report this Nov. 24 2009, 4:12 pm

Quote (Captain_Storma @ Nov. 24 2009, 7:45 am)

If you get to watch the Extras on DVD you'll see it wasn't the cameraman's fault.  All responsibility goes to JJ who personally whacked the side of the camera with his hand every time he wanted the shaky effect.  It the extras, he goes on and one about how proud he is of his "unique" ability to slap the camera.