Janeway's Performance as Captain

Voyager801

Report this Nov. 20 2009, 5:40 pm

Rate Janeway's performance as Captain of Voyager. Please explain your choice.

exodus201

Report this Nov. 20 2009, 8:29 pm

I think Janeway was a good captain.

I think she did the best she could given the situation she was in.
I don't think many could've done anything much differently in her situation.
Everything can be done differently in hindsight.

voyfan99

Report this Nov. 20 2009, 10:27 pm

^^Exactly, for the framework othe show, she did a great job.  There were flaws here and there but that can be said of all the captains, they were human.  As far a the actor, I can't think of a better actor than Mulgrew for the role.

chr3335

Report this Nov. 20 2009, 11:20 pm

Over all she did seem to do a good job.

cbarrobn87

Report this Nov. 22 2009, 7:10 pm

Cpt Janeway is fantastic she is the best one for this role and job i loved her in Voyager i only like next generation and Voyager i have all the dvd boxsets and i wish they would make more series

LtPondwater9

Report this Nov. 22 2009, 8:43 pm

I'd say good.
Ship and most of the crew (not all) made it back to the Alpha Quadrant.

TheTimeDoctor

Report this Nov. 23 2009, 11:57 pm

Good.

Voyager801

Report this Nov. 25 2009, 7:26 pm

Quote (exodus201 @ Nov. 20 2009, 8:29 pm)
I think Janeway was a good captain.

I think she did the best she could given the situation she was in.
I don't think many could've done anything much differently in her situation.
Everything can be done differently in hindsight.

Good Point. Personally I thought Janeway did an excellent job.

Anyway, it looks like 17 people have voted and most people think she did an excellent job.

stealthgear

Report this Nov. 28 2009, 1:28 pm

I think she had more skill than Sisko and Archer in flying a ship around space and dealing with bad situations. She had to be good at everything and mostly succeeded so I'd rate her good or excellent. I'm not sure if I would have allowed the Maqui aboard though. LOL. Sometimes her decision making was more questionable, but that was the point, and everything turned out okay. She had some very strong qualities.

Sara_Paris

POSTS: 20272

Report this Nov. 29 2009, 1:39 am

I think she was brilliant. In some instances I couldn't imagine how she got into character to such an extent. For instance at the end of Prime Factors when she is discussing the Prime Directive with Tuvok and his "betrayal", The end of The 37's when she and Chakotay enter the cargo bay and none of the crew are there, Year of Hell when she says goodbye to Tuvok before evacuating Voyager and ramming the Krenim ship.

Khoufu_Khorushu

Report this Dec. 03 2009, 12:29 am

Not that I've seen mush of Voyager, but I think she was great. I'm curious how the other ST captains could have dealt with being thrown across the galaxy, especially Captain Archer, since it would take a few centuries to get back home because of the lack of a good warp speed. It's amazing most of the life forms in the Delta quadrant are humanoid...

Ndirsch11

Report this Dec. 05 2009, 3:19 am

If I just ignore the three or four episodes that really don't reflect well on her character, then I'd say Janeway was an excellent captain.  She was very idealistic in those early seasons and I was attracted to that quality in her.  She reminded me of a stern schoolteacher with her hair in that old-fashioned bun.

Ndirsch11

Report this Dec. 05 2009, 3:26 am

Quote (LtPondwater9 @ Nov. 22 2009, 8:43 pm)
I'd say good. ?
Ship and most of the crew (not all) made it back to the Alpha Quadrant.

Just remember this: they made it back to the Alpha Quadrant twice. And the second time they did it through bad writing.  Ultimately, it was a hollow victory.  Meaningless and undeserving.

Somniac

Report this Dec. 06 2009, 12:12 am

I didn't like her much at first. Too much of a madam. But over the years I have grown to really love her performance. I love the way she is SO in charge. No if or buts. She struts about that bridge like an uber-lieutenant, but has compassion and tenderness at the right moments.
It's perfectly judged.

Dbear1

Report this Dec. 06 2009, 10:13 am

I rated her as a good captain.  I think she did the best she could in the situations she was stuck in and obviously cared about her crew.

Fact is the fact that not all her decisions were perfect made her a much more interesting and dynamic character.  One of my complaints about Picard was the writers never showed him screw up, least not by what they considered mistakes; I found that a bit bland to be honest.