Faces, Jetrel and Learning Curve

MrsStarbuck

Report this Nov. 19 2009, 12:35 pm

Faces

This was a great episode for B'Elanna, although it did remind me somewhat of the TOS episode The Enemy Within. Like Kirk in that episode, B'Elanna found that she couldn't function without both halves of herself. I liked seeing the duality within her portrayed as two separate people. The brave, warrior-like Klingon, who acted courageously but rather rashly without any thought of consequences. And the physically weak but highly intelligent human, who could rely on her intellect to serve her well in a crisis.
It was a good performance by Dawson, even if her Klingon voice was a little bit grating.

It was good to see the Vidiians again too, they are a very interesting race. Although one thing that confused me was, if they needed a pure Klingon, why go to all the trouble of splitting B'Elanna, why not just kidnap a Klingon? Or were they just opportunists?

And Chakotay once again saved the day by disguising himself as a Vidiian. I'm sure there will be some people on here who would say that was his best look of the series :laugh:

Jetrel

I loved this episode. It was good to see a different, more serious side to Neelix. I had no idea he'd been through so much in the past, and I'm sure I'll look at him in a different way now.
Jetrel himself was a great character. Like all the best Trek 'villains' he wasn't 'evil', he had his reasons and his motives for doing what he did, and by the end I really felt for him.
It's a sad thing with humanity that scientists often don't have ultimate control over what their discoveries are used for ( "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds" ).
Jetrel's actual research had quite chilling implications. If he thought there was a way to reassemble the atoms of the Cascade victims, then does that mean that since the Cascade happened, they have not been either alive or dead, but existing in a state of disintegration? It's a horrible thought. The scene in the transporter room at the end, when the figure was materialising in the beam, as well as when Jetrel managed to beam 'something' into the sickbay were horrible (and kind of reminded me of The Fly)
I'd like to learn more about Neelix's past. Does this subject ever get dealt with again?

Learning Curve
I said when I first started watching this season that I wanted to see more friction between the Maquis and the Starfleets, and I finally got it. I liked the character of Dalby. Another person with a tragic but fascinating past.
I have to admit that I don't really know anything about the Cardassians yet, but from the little bit I heard in Dalby's story about his wife, I'm intrigued now to find out more.
Good to see Chakotay with a bit of life in him for a change. I liked how he was willing to punch an officer in the face just to prove a point ;)

Tuvok was great in this episode, although I'd hate to have him as a teacher! But it was nice at the end to see him learning something about the way he deals with situations, just as much as the Maquis had to learn.

And who would have realised that cheese could be so dangerous! :laugh:
Best line of the series: "get that cheese to sickbay!"

I didn't really buy the fact that the bio-neural gel packs could catch an airborne virus off some cheese. If they were that susceptible to bacteria then surely they'd catch every virus the engineering crew ever had! But it made for some exciting moments when they were losing power.
I also loved the Doctor treating the gel pack like a 'real' patient. Brilliant!

So that's the end of season 1 :)

I have to say that, although I did enjoy Learning Curve, it wasn't a particularly notable end to the series. I have noticed that in future seasons they seem to end with the first half of a two-parter, so I'm hoping that will result in some cliffhangers.

chr3335

Report this Nov. 19 2009, 4:21 pm

I liked faces it was well written and had a good plot i just feel sad because it was episodes like that which we fans deserved.

Jetrel I didn't like to much the premise was good but the writers almost seemed like they didn't want to risk the viewer might side with Jetrel over Nelix and gave him really a really weak defense.

Learning Curve was another good episode I just wish the writers had done more in season one with the integration of the Maquis and Starfleet personnel but like a lot with Voyager it was a missed opportunity.  And I have to make fun of the fact that the manual over ride failed because of power loss or something.  And the biogel backs that run everything when they don't have any backups and can't replicate more and they run over half the systems on the ship with no way to bypass them.  I swear whoever designs starfleet vessels seems to love making them death traps with exploding bridge consoles, few fail safes to prevent warp core breach,  Major systems relying on minor systems to keep operating.

chr3335

Report this Nov. 19 2009, 4:36 pm

Quote (DrGojira @ Nov. 18 2009, 5:33 pm)
Faces was good. We saw Roxanna without the makeup and when the dude wore the skin, wow! Of course, they did ditch that Telaxian that helped them.

The only bad part of this is that Faces was an exception when it should have been the norm.

LtPondwater9

Report this Nov. 19 2009, 4:40 pm

Faces was great for all the reasons that had already been mentioned. Learning Curve was better than Jetrel, although I found Jetrel to be sad. Those two episodes weren't bad but not good, I'm not going to complain. ;)

lostshaker

Report this Nov. 19 2009, 5:03 pm

Neelix's past does get revisited once or twice.

lostshaker

Report this Nov. 19 2009, 5:10 pm

"Learning Curve" was quite enjoyable. I too liked it when Chakotay gave that guy a punch. The episode was never intended to be the final for season 1, Paramount just told them that's a wrap at the last minute, and so some intended season 1 episodes get carried over to the beginning of season 2. From here on, with the exception of season 4, there are cliff hangers.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Nov. 19 2009, 6:20 pm

Quote (chr3335 @ Nov. 18 2009, 10:21 pm)

Well I think they balanced it out a little with Neelix's confession that he wasn't really a big hero in the battles. Had they made him a huge war hero then I think it would have been much more biased.
And I really did feel sorry for Jetrel at the end.

Quote (chr3335 @ Nov. 18 2009, 10:21 pm)

I've said this a few times, that in general the Maquis integrated into the Starfleet crew way too easily, and it would have been good if they'd made more of the differences between the two crews.

ssmukhi

Report this Nov. 20 2009, 1:15 am

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Nov. 20 2009, 1:35 am)
Faces

There were no Klingons in the DQ yet, at least not that they know about.

Learning Curve was not meant to be a season ender. I guess because of Production / Airing schedules, season 1 had less episodes. The season ender was supposed to be "The 37s".

exodus201

Report this Nov. 20 2009, 9:25 am

It's odd how they picked "Learning Curve" to be s1's ender.

I remember when Voyager aired, s1 & s2 ran back to back as if it was one long season.
It was one of the other reasons why fans got sick of seeing the Kazon so much.

LtPondwater9

Report this Nov. 20 2009, 6:37 pm

Quote (exodus201 @ Nov. 20 2009, 9:25 am)
It's odd how they picked "Learning Curve" to be s1's ender.

It was one of the other reasons why fans got sick of seeing the Kazon so much.

Thankfully they went away after "Basics" aired and only came back in flashback episodes. Even the Borg found them unworthy of assimilation.  :laugh:

SLagonia

Report this Nov. 20 2009, 8:15 pm

Quote (LtPondwater9 @ Nov. 19 2009, 9:37 pm)
Quote (exodus201 @ Nov. 20 2009, 9:25 am)
It's odd how they picked "Learning Curve" to be s1's ender.

It was one of the other reasons why fans got sick of seeing the Kazon so much.

Thankfully they went away after "Basics" aired and only came back in flashback episodes. Even the Borg found them unworthy of assimilation. ¿:laugh:

And these people assimilated Telaxians, so you know their standards are low!

exodus201

Report this Nov. 20 2009, 8:21 pm

Quote (LtPondwater9 @ Nov. 20 2009, 6:37 pm)
Quote (exodus201 @ Nov. 20 2009, 9:25 am)
It's odd how they picked "Learning Curve" to be s1's ender.

It was one of the other reasons why fans got sick of seeing the Kazon so much.

Thankfully they went away after "Basics" aired and only came back in flashback episodes. Even the Borg found them unworthy of assimilation. ?:laugh:

I loved how the Kazon were supposed to be street thugs............that never killed anybody!!!!

Cullah wouldn't even slap Seska.

voyfan99

Report this Nov. 20 2009, 10:34 pm

The Kazon were annoying not menacing

MrsStarbuck

Report this Nov. 22 2009, 2:14 pm

Yeah, I've got to admit that the Kazon have not wowed me so far.

chr3335

Report this Nov. 22 2009, 3:43 pm

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Nov. 21 2009, 3:14 pm)
Yeah, I've got to admit that the Kazon have not wowed me so far.

They wont they are only a threat due to a combination of treason and incompetence on the part of the voyager command staff

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam, wissa