Spock Quote

Alexa54

Report this Nov. 12 2009, 7:26 am

Hi I am after a spock quote where he is on about that ' you cant predict the future if you dont understand the past'

be greatful for any direction

cheers!

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Nov. 12 2009, 10:37 am

That's from Mirror, Mirror where Kirk is talking to Mirror Spock before Kirk and co. transport back to the prime timeline. IF I remember correctly it goes something like:

Kirk: "If change is inevitable, predictable, beneficial, doesn't
logic demand that you be a part of it? One man cannot summon the
future. But one man can change the present. Be the Captain of this
Enterprise, Mr. Spock. Find a logical reason for sparing the
Halkans and make it stick. Push till it gives. You can defend
yourself better than any man in the fleet."

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Nov. 12 2009, 10:57 am

It's the only thing in TOS  that come remotely close. I had just watched Mirror, mirror yesterday so it was relatively fresh in my memory.

Alexa54

Report this Nov. 12 2009, 6:38 pm

Thanks so much for this guys really appreciate it!! Thought I should let you know why I am after it really.... Doing a presentation about predicting weather systems and how research for the future is based on the past so thought it would be cool to have this in as well!!

Mirrorgirl

Report this Nov. 13 2009, 12:34 am

Boy, this is some brains trust working on this question...if trekbuff, Starbase and Bax can't hit it on the head, I doubt I can. But I too am having feeling that I can see him saying, but I can't place my finger on it.

Hmmm...I wonder if Alexa54 might have any other clues as to other scenes or characters or something that would help us Identify the episode?

Alexa54

Report this Nov. 13 2009, 6:20 am

I'm afraid I dont know anything else, it was actually my lecturer who suggested this too me and he can't remember himself! It is really starting to annoy me now as well!

Holberg

Report this Nov. 13 2009, 10:12 am

Was it in the new movie??
At the end when Spock {Older talks to his younger self} ??

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Nov. 13 2009, 10:18 am

LOL and the mystery continues.... :O

Cynic321

Report this Nov. 13 2009, 11:45 am

It sounds like something from 'Patterns of Force' with Kirk, Spock, and John Gill...

Narada

Report this Nov. 13 2009, 3:35 pm

Yes all I could find was the quote from John Gill when he repeats the famous quote something like "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

WilburWood

Report this Nov. 13 2009, 8:39 pm

Quote (trekbuff @ Nov. 12 2009, 9:18 am)
Hey, folks! Anyone else try to help Alexa54? I thought about a few ST(TOS) episodes, but it didn't pan out.

I also did searches for various combinations of Trek, Spock, future, past, history, understand, quotes, etc. and only found a comment from someone else talking about Spock, no direct quote.

Sorry, Alexa54....

Where's WilburWood when I need him?????

Sorry, tb, but it beats the shit outta me, too! :laugh:

Alexa54

Report this Nov. 13 2009, 8:48 pm

oh well i must have been imagining it!! thanks for you help tho guys, really appreciate the time you put in trying to help :D

Nyackjohn

Report this Nov. 14 2009, 10:45 pm

Try looking at ST:VI Undiscovered Country - doesn't Spock say something similar to Valeris?

Mirrorgirl

Report this Nov. 15 2009, 12:37 am

Quote (Nyackjohn @ Nov. 15 2009, 12:45 pm)

I've just checked right through TUC and I can't find anything approaching this type of quote.

I think we maybe stumped; if trekbuff, Starbase, Wilbur and NyackJohn can't identify it, I don't think it exists.

Mirrorgirl

Report this Nov. 15 2009, 1:50 am

Quote (trekbuff @ Nov. 15 2009, 3:15 pm)
Quote (Mirrorgirl @ Nov. 15 2009, 12:37 am)
Quote (Nyackjohn @ Nov. 15 2009, 12:45 pm)

Apologies to everyone else, but Wilbur has a knack for this kind of trivia. If he's stumped, I don't feel so bad.

Again, we know (?) we've heard something like what Alexa54 requested. One of us will wake up at 3 in the morning and it will come to us. We had better write it down...

Entirely possible. I do hope we can find it  :)