Top 5 Star Trek movie scenes

Vger23

Report this Nov. 09 2009, 1:32 pm

There may have been a post like this in the last 6 months, but I couldn't find it...so I thought it was worth re-exploring.

List your top 5 scenes in the Star Trek films and briefly explain why you like them so much.

#5 Approaching the Barrier Star Trek V- The Final Frontier
For what is largely viewed as a sub-par Trek adventure, I think that the Enterprise making its run on the Great Barrier is by far one of my favorite scenes. I really enjoy the sequences leading up to (the "share your pain" sequence) and following (the "Sha Ka Rhee" sequence) the run on the Great Barrier, but that moment when the Enterprise is on the verge of discovering something TRULY where no man has gone before was really cool and exciting. I remember the music, and Kirk standing at the old ship's wheel, and thinking "THIS is why I love Star Trek!"

#4 Stealing the Enterprise Star Trek III- The Search for Spock
From the moment they break McCoy out of the Federation Funny Farm to Kirk ordering warp speed and watching the Excelsior wallow like a beached whale in space...that is a great scene. The imagery of the Enterprise escaping the dock, the music, the pacing and direction, and the pure fun of that scene will always stick with me.

#3 Sneak Attack Star Trek II- The Wrath of Khan
What a nail-biter...I remember being so shocked watching the beautiful new Enterprise be ripped open by the Reliant's phasers...and watching those pristine sets explode and fill up with smoke and flame. This scene made Star Trek REAL and DANGEROUS, and had tremendous drama and suspense to it.

#2 Captain Ahab Star Trek: First Contact
A great scene acted between two fantastic actors. You KNOW that, in a movie filled with great special effects, suspense, and action...that if the BEST scene in the movie is a confrontation between two people with no weapons, no visuals, no music, etc....it has to be unbelievalbe. I consider this to be the TNG films' finest moment...and it's the moment I look forward to most in First Contact.

#1 USS Kelvin Attack Star Trek (2009)
I'm amazed that, with all the great choices, this comes out at the top of my list...but this is as powerful and dramatic as Star Trek gets. The scene is absolutely awesome, filled with genuine suspense and furious action...but being balanced out with the massive dose of emotion at the birth of James Kirk and the sacrifice of his father.

DarthRage

Report this Nov. 09 2009, 1:50 pm

#5: Data's Trickery....Fooling the Borg Queen into thinking he would actually blow up the Enterprise E? What was she thinking? Resistance is futile. Loved that part.

#4: David Kirk's murder...At the hands of a Klingon lackey serving Kruge. Kirk's loss was very powerful, something that impacted me greatly.

#3: Data's Sacrifice....by saving his Captain, his friends, and his ship by self destructing the Scimitar. I wept.

#2: The USS Kelvin opening....doesn't get much better than that.

#1: Spock's death.... Come on. The quintessential sacrifice, his own personal Kobeyashi Maru. I cried like a baby as a 13 year old in the theatre, and I cried Saturday night watching it on HDNET as a 39 year old.

P.S. I was also wearing my captain star trek tee shirt I ordered from Cheez-Its! It only took 15 weeks to get it!

Vger23

Report this Nov. 09 2009, 4:56 pm

Quote (DarthRage @ Nov. 09 2009, 1:50 pm)

#2: The USS Kelvin opening....doesn't get much better than that.

I forgot about David's death and Kirk's reaction.

What a great moment that was. Really, that whole confrontation with Kruge from "Search for Spock" was great. From Kirk and Sulu discovering the cloaked ship (the anticipation of each ship "sneaking up on" the other was very well done) all the way through Kirk's decision to destroy the Enterprise, that is one of the best sequences in all of Star Trek. Kirk's reaction when he hears that David has died is some of Shatner's best work. Absolutely awesome.

"The Search for Spock" is vastly underrated. What a great flick!!

Kdbtrekkin

Report this Nov. 10 2009, 4:48 am

Not in any order, but here goes.

Scotty and Computer scene in Star Trek IV

Theft of Enterprise in Star Trek III

Rock Climbing scene all the way threw to Uhura picking up Sulu and Chekov in Star Trek V

Data drinking in Generations and loving/hating it.

Possibly Kirk fighting Kirk in Star Trek VI, or Kirk fighting the alien with private knees.

Mirrorgirl

Report this Nov. 10 2009, 6:30 am

I'm going to have to go with two categories, both containing 5 Top Scenes

Kirk/Spock/Bones Scenes:

I. Campfire scene at Yosemite - TFF
2. The Kobayashi Maru - TWOK
3. 'This Simple Feeling' scene from The Motion Picture
4. "Jim...you're name is Jim" - TSFS
5. The final showdown between Kirk and Kruge, followed by his saving Spock from the fiery hell of the Genesis Planet

The 'Everybody else' Scenes

1. The Final Scene from The Undiscovered Country (get's me every bloody time I watch it - in one scene it encapsulates EVERYTHING we love about Star Trek and it contains all 7 of the crew, which also gets me every time).
2. Scotty and the 'computer!' (the whole storyline of Scotty and McCoy on a mission together is just riotously funny and so beautifully performed by two veteran actors who knew their characters inside out, just beautiful) - TVH
3. The ride in Gillian's Pick-up truck/the 'Bus Scene' from TVH (I can't choose between the two, I love them both)
4. Kirk versus Khan; the venom, the vitriol, the high drama (every scene were these two are playing off each other and chewing the scenery is just magic, thrilling)
5. And yes, 'Stealing the Enterprise, but in that I include all those all those scenes that built up to the the theft, Uhura and Mr. Adventure in the closet, Sulu and 'Don't call me Tiny', Scotty messing with the Excelsior, Chekov stealing the ship; they're all magic moments

I could also include a more 'action' oriented list or a 'greatest comedy moments' list, or a 'most dramatic moment', 'best special effects' list. So you see this list could get a lot longer.
:laugh:

Captain_Storma

Report this Nov. 10 2009, 10:51 am

1. Ahab Scene from FIRST CONTACT
2. Last scenes from GENERATIONS
3. Scimitar engaging the Enterprise from NEMESIS
4. Enterprise to the rescue from FIRST CONTACT
5. Enterprise and Excelsior fighting the Klingon BoP in TUC

rocketscientist

Report this Nov. 10 2009, 12:37 pm

Well, there's a lot of great scenes in the ST films and, for me anyway, and understandably, the death scenes are some of the most powerful.  In that regard, Spock's death in TWOK, is, in my opinion, the most powerful and seminal scene of all the ST films.  It was a very big deal.  In TWOK, mortality came to these television characters and the death of Spock, perfectly played by Nimoy and Shatner and directed and scripted by Nicholas Meyer, was the centerpiece of the film.  It's a classic scene in really, the only bonafide classic ST film.

In the same sort of vein, I thought the death of the Enterprise in TSFS was great too.  Again, this was something no fan of the original series thought they would ever do, killing the starship Enterprise.  It was an incredibly shocking and sad scene that was played out perfectly by the cast and director Leonard Nimoy.

The death of David Marcus, similarly, was executed very well.

The "Ahab" scene in FC was great too!  Frakes did a very nice job directing two great actors, Patrick Stewart and Alfre Woodward.  It's probably Stewart's finest overall performance as Picard in the ST films.

There were a couple of scenes I really liked in TUC too.  For instance, in his book "I am Spock," Leonard Nimoy said that, for him, the original series ST ended with that last talk with Kirk and Spock, reflecting on whether they've outlived their usefulness, in Spock's cabin.  He was very happy and proud of that scene.

Valdena

Report this Nov. 11 2009, 9:51 am

Kobiashi Maru
David's Death
Spock's Death
The beginning of III the genesis sun rising, the music...love it
ST IV The whales

subytrek

Report this Nov. 11 2009, 1:09 pm

1. Spock's death
2. Destruction of Enterprise in Star Trek III
3. USS Kelvin vs. Narada in Star Trek
4. Picard and Lily in conference room in First Contact
5. Enterprise smashing headfirst into The Scimitar

kvlc

Report this Nov. 11 2009, 6:56 pm

They're all in Wrath of Khan.

1701AtoE

Report this Nov. 12 2009, 1:19 am

After further thought, I list my top 5 scenes based on how often I go back to just watch those scenes or choose to watch entire movie because of it:

5. Chang / Kirk / Sulu battle scene in TUC

4. Stealing the Enterprise in TSFS

3. Captain Ahab dialog in First Contact

2. Spock's death post Khan battle in TWOK

1. Kelvin attack / escape.  It's such a rush then tears.  Never can get over it.   Sometime I realize that it's not just the story itself, but it's HOW the story is told (acted in this case).

Mirrorgirl

Report this Nov. 12 2009, 1:25 am

Quote (1701AtoE @ Nov. 12 2009, 3:19 pm)

5. Chang / Kirk / Sulu battle scene in TUC

4. Stealing the Enterprise in TSFS

3. Captain Ahab dialog in First Contact

2. Spock's death post Khan battle in TWOK

1. Kelvin attack / escape. ¿It's such a rush then tears. ¿Never can get over it. ¿ Sometime I realize that it's not just the story itself, but it's HOW the story is told (acted in this case).

The opening 10 minutes of Star Trek XI is some of the best moving making I've ever seen, perfect amounts of action, drama and pathos. Bravery, fear, honour all these things come through in this amazing Act 1.

Star Trek has always been really good at beginnings and endings. The opening scenes from TWOK and Generations leap to mind; the endings of II, III and VI are also completely brilliant and memorable.

Star Trek is great