Star Trek

drellan

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 12:46 pm

What Star Trek is becoming is what happened to the Batman movies. They became increasingly comic book style and absurd. At least with Batman, when the did the reboot, they brought an element of realism to it.

Star Trek's reboot did the oppositte.

Poor scripting, poor directing, poor acting, poor sound track. The powers involved in making the movie believe that a fast paced action and visual effects are all that is important.

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 12:53 pm

Of course this is all YOUR opinion.

Script was good(could have been better), directing is par for the course these days, the acting is excellent, don't really care about the sound track. The powers involved were concerned with creating interest in TREK again and did what they felt was right.

I don't see anything in TREK XI that is comic book style as you suggest.

UtopiaPlanitia

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 1:07 pm

Quote (drellan @ Nov. 03 2009, 1:46 pm)

Star Trek's reboot did the oppositte.

blah blah blah.   the movie has been out for months now and your just now posting this?

your opinion that we dont care to hear

SaturnsRings

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 1:12 pm

Quote (drellan @ Nov. 04 2009, 12:46 pm)

Star Trek's reboot did the oppositte.

I found substance and realism in the midst of being an action adventure science fiction movie. This viewer was well pleased.

DarthRage

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 1:15 pm

Another post a negative review and run...

Vger23

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 1:25 pm

I'm curious to know what you found "unrealistic" or "comic-booky" about the film. I'm also curious how you would NOT find most, if not ALL of the other Trek films to have similar faults and flaws.

Are you going to say that TWOK, for example, is not comick-booky and cheesy? It really is, but it's also one of the more well-received Trek films of the bunch.

drellan

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 5:00 pm

As was pointed out...sure this is my opinion. That's obvious. But, I choose to voice my opinion.

Now, with that said...the movie is targetting teenie-boppers. I know that. But, it certainly doesn't make the movie any better.

The way the movie slapped all the characters together as quickly as possible was simply ridiculas to watch. I never felt any sense of realism to it. Why such as rush to assemble the crew so quickly? Let alone the absurd first meeting between young Kirk and Prime Spock. The way the two were brought together was simply unbelievable. The script was also poor. I'll stop there...it could be easy to go on and on.

Someone mentioned the Wrath of Khan. Yeah sure, it wasn't perfect. But it does have elements of believability to it. There's actually a command structure. Space feels more big and real. The dialogue is simply much better. Wrath of Khan is for an older, more intelligent audience - and I guess that's what Paramount wants to get away from. The theme of Wrath of Khan was deep. The death of Spock was very well done.

People just don't seem to want quality movies now. Simply flicks.

drellan

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 5:03 pm

Further...my prediction is that if Paramount continues this direction the next movie will do poorly. If they do a third...it will absolutely flop.

I wonder how many fans bite their toungue and simply nod as if this was a good movie because the figure it's better than no star trek at all...and are worried that if this movie is blasted for the poor quality that it is then Paramount will simply give up.

I say...demand better. We still live in a mostly free market economy! (at least right now). Demand better and the promise of profit will drive them to make better.

Narada

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 5:05 pm

Hello drellan you make valid points because there were some things in the new movie that can be improved. With that in mind I do not believe it is fair to say everything was only poor and some things were very good. This movie was a financial and critical success and won many awards. Every one here knows it was not a perfect movie but it serves the purpose and Star Trek can move on to explore more of the unknown. The production team can learn from this and make the next movie even more improved but we cannot say it was a failure or that it was just bad. There are good and bad elements but overall it is considered a success. We all demand better and the movie makers know this. With the next movie they plan to go even deeper and make this adventure the most meaningful.

Narada

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 5:30 pm

I like your new poll but I feel you should allow for comments by posters. I also like that you give people the chance to vote for a middle ground instead of just 2 extremes. I vote for "a little silly" because there are things that can be improved or explained better.

Narada

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 5:38 pm

You just made another "poll only" choice which does not allow for comments. Are you afraid people will make good points on the poll threads? I wish to comment on the most recent poll of what you want to see in the new Star Trek. All sets and costumes were sold at an auction. Many of the actors moved on or cannot play the same characters. The new cast is also hired for more movies. I am beginning to agree with the people here who are just saying to "get over it."

drellan

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 5:38 pm

Quote (Narada @ Nov. 04 2009, 5:30 pm)

Thanks. I chose to have no comments so that people would simply examine the data and not "loud" voices. With that said, I will consider your point if I make a new poll in the future.

Of course, I have my personal preferences on the direction Star Trek takes. I know that I may be in the minority. Obviously I hope not.

With that said, its a shame an actual "scientific" poll can't be done.

drellan

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 5:41 pm

Quote (Narada @ Nov. 04 2009, 5:38 pm)

Again, you make goods points with the poll needing comments. I was wanting to simply look at data (even though its not a scientific poll).

I do understand your concern.  Mine was simply "loud" may outdo the data itself...and that other posts could be used for the comments themselves (as you are doing).

But, again, I realize my decision can be of debate. I posted the second (and last poll for now), before I had read your thoughts on the need to allow comments.

Narada

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 5:43 pm

It is ok for a poll to only allow for data and no comments. I just say this because sometimes there are additional thoughts which relate to the poll. There are also times when a poll stays alive for longer because it is bumped with relevant comments. I commented on both polls already but I understand there are all different types of fans who wish to see all different types of Star Trek. In this way I am happy to see the data of your polls!

drellan

Report this Nov. 04 2009, 5:44 pm

Quote (Narada @ Nov. 04 2009, 5:38 pm)

Forgot to mention:
I also realize that there would not necessarily be the opportunity to completely do a recast of an entire set of actors from one series. With that said, putting together a group of core actors from a series might not be entirely impossible.

I can't speak for the actors.