Would Paramount Have Approved of The

TrekFan1701E

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 4:21 pm

They already put Earth in danager with Xindi War. I wonder what Paramount would have thought if Coto said he wanted to do the Romulan War? Would Paramount have said didn't you do that already? Or would pitching the RW have sealed the deal for Seasons 5 to 7?

I wonder if the story's Coto pitched for Season 5 like more TOS tie in's like returning to Could City, ect. didn't exactly thrill Paramount since that didn't work in Season 4 and that never brought in the ratings?

I would have wanted Enterprise to continue for Seasons 5 to 7 if they did it like the RW Book. I know some things would have to be scaled back because of what you can do with a book vs. what you can do on TV. Unless the way Martin has it in the RW Book they could do all of that on TV?

grigori

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 5:40 pm

Hi Trekfan! ...not that it isn't a good question or that I don't appreciate your input, cause I do! but every new thread started knocks an old one into oblivion--the way things are run right now! And we've already LOST so many good, old friends and apparently Admin won't ever give them back.

I know for a fact someone would answer your new question if it were stuck into an existing thread, like your other Romulan War one. :)

TrekFan1701E

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 5:45 pm

Quote (grigori @ Oct. 30 2009, 5:40 pm)

Sorry I thought this would be a different take on it. Maybe they aren't any more things to discuss about Enterprise? Are we running out of topics?

grigori

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 5:57 pm

Quote (TrekFan1701E @ Oct. 30 2009, 5:45 pm)
Quote (grigori @ Oct. 30 2009, 5:40 pm)

Thank goodness, no! :D In fact, it's BECAUSE we're so chatty on this Forum that we're worried about losing topics faster than the other Forums....

Don't mind my little rebuke. If we REALLY wanted to save them, we should be jumping to page 4 and bumping them. Some of the time we do that, when they start to get a little close to the end!

Anyhow, good question, and from everything I've heard, Paramount was very much on board with another War. It wouldn't have made sense to have Earth get into an inter-planetary war RIGHT after they left spaceport (reminder, the Xindi thing was just a conflict, never a war), but after a few years, YEH, everyone expected it.

AND think how much more incredible the new CGI could have made a War on screen! I mean, 10 times better than what we had even when TNG started. And the little bit of the Romulan conflict we saw getting started in Season 4 showed they were being imaginative with their spacecraft and space battles (also the one in the Vulcan arc).

In Season 4 they were already making believable the kind of subterfuge and secretive warfare that would fit Spock's TOS parameters that we never actually "saw" a Romulan.

I like how the book also takes seriously the description of the Romulan War laid out in Balance of Terror.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 6:09 pm

Quote (grigori @ Oct. 30 2009, 5:57 pm)
Quote (TrekFan1701E @ Oct. 30 2009, 5:45 pm)
Quote (grigori @ Oct. 30 2009, 5:40 pm)

He even uses Nukes like Spock said.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 6:13 pm

Grigori do you think we should have one central thread about the Romulan War since the book came out where we can discuss everything about it? Maybe you could create it if you think we need one?

grigori

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 7:40 pm

There's already a few going on...
I apologize again for picking on you. I guess I just wanted to get the word out somehow.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 8:35 pm

Quote (grigori @ Oct. 30 2009, 7:40 pm)
There's already a few going on...

No problem.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Oct. 31 2009, 8:01 am

Okay, I'll go to the new thread...but I'll say this here. Yes, Paramount should have went with the Romulan war.

Narada

Report this Nov. 06 2009, 7:16 pm

This was posted a few times around the forum but it relates with the Romulan War on Enterprise! According to Berman and Braga the rest of Enterprise would involve these conditions. Or maybe this should go in the season 5 thread? I will also post there just in case.

# The two main things they wanted to do with S5 was the "origins of the Federation" and the "begin whispers of the Romulan War", and tying those two together
# No other major villains were planned to be introduced, the Romulans were going to be the big villain, but would have new ones within new ?mini-arcs?
# Rick and Brannon thought Future Guy was "probably going to be a Romulan" and would tie into the Romulan War with a future Romulan trying to "instigate" things

Narada

Report this Nov. 06 2009, 7:22 pm

Here is one more article about the Romulan War and Enterprise. It is from 2004 and takes place when they were still in talks for the new Star Trek movie.

Star Trek XI: Romulan Wars?
Producers hint at a pre-Kirk movie.
by Paul Davidson

"July 9, 2004 - When Star Trek: Enterprise first hit the airwaves, many fans thought the series would include the Federation's early wars with the Romulan Star Empire. That hasn't happened yet, and recent comments by Enterprise producer Brannon Braga suggest that the show is trying not to interfere with a potential story for the next Star Trek movie.

Trek Today reports that in comments made to Star Trek Communicator, Braga hinted at a pre-Kirk setting for Star Trek XI, and that the film might involve the Romulans in a big way. "[The Romulan War] is certainly one of the things that we've been discussing," Braga apparently said, referring to Enterprise. "But there's also a prequel feature [film] in development regarding the Romulan Wars, so we might have to stay away from that."

In the meantime, the fourth season of Enterprise will probably wrap up the Temporal Cold War story arc. "I'd really like to resolve that and put a cap on it. It would be a nice thing to do after three seasons of teasing it along."

According to established Star Trek lore, a violent war between Earth and the Romulans was fought for several years, culminating in a treaty and the establishment of the Neutral Zone in 2160. The first visual encounter between humans and Romulans took place a short while later in the original Star Trek series. The Romulans reappeared on the scene in TNG after a silence of several decades, and they played an increasingly important role in DS9.

Recent third-season episodes of Enterprise supposedly take place in 2154, which means the producers need to decide fairly soon whether the Romulan conflict gets introduced in the TV show, in a feature film, or gets ignored altogether. The Enterprise crew already had a brief encounter with a Romulan vessel in "Minefield".

There is also another article which gives some more information.

Star Trek Prequel Planned
A new movie is on the slate.
by Paul Davidson

"April 22, 2004 - In March, we reported on some speculation that Paramount might be planning for the next few Star Trek films to be prequels. That now seems to be the case, as Rick Berman has told British magazine Dreamwatch that a prequel is already in the works.

"I am involved in the very early stages of what could be the next Star Trek movie," says Berman. "It's something I will be producing with two other producers." If previous rumors prove correct, those two producers could be Jordan Kerner (Mighty Ducks) and fellow Enterprise collaborator Brannon Braga. More details from Dreamwatch are up at Trekweb.

This isn't the first time a prequel film has been proposed. 15 years ago, Harve Bennett, producer of Treks II through V, wanted to make a Star Trek precursor set at Starfleet Academy. That time, Paramount dismissed the idea, opting to make The Undiscovered Country instead.

Dark Horizons has an interesting clue that could relate to the new project. They report that a new project at Paramount goes by the title "Star Fleet Command," and it's currently seeking writers."

One interesting thing Braga says is if there is a Romulan Wars movie then they must stay away from the Romulan Wars on Enterprise. This could mean they were saving it for later on Enterprise for many reasons that we mentioned. One more reason is because they were in talks for a possible Romulan Wars movie.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Nov. 06 2009, 7:29 pm

Quote (Narada @ Nov. 06 2009, 7:16 pm)

Would this way have been better than the RW book? Martin doesn't use FG and the TCW.

Narada

Report this Nov. 06 2009, 7:36 pm

Those are good questions! I did not read those books but from what people say they are very good and address some issues with Enterprise. Here is another comment about the Romulan War with a chat excerpt with Manny Coto from startrek.com.

"Koshare: Will we ever see the Earth-Romulan war? That's what I was hoping to see when I first heard about Enterprise. Whenever someone would mention it in the original series, no one really wanted to talk about it. They simply said it was a dark time, then changed the subject. I think it would be good for all of us to see that. We're currently in a dark time of our own and to have Star Trek show us that there is a way back to peace, a way to put all of the anger and hostilies behind us, would be a very powerful statement.

MC: I think you definitely will see the Earth-Romulan War, I just don't know if you'll see it on Enterprise. And if you live long enough, you just may see it for real."

I think this comment was made when they were in talks for a Romulan Wars movie.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Nov. 06 2009, 7:50 pm

Quote (Narada @ Nov. 06 2009, 7:36 pm)

I think this comment was made when they were in talks for a Romulan Wars movie.

I have read the first RW book. It was good. It goes from 2155 to 2156. I am not sure if they do more books on it if each one will cover a year.

I have allways thought that they could do a RW Trek TV series. Star Trek: The Romulan War.

Narada

Report this Nov. 06 2009, 8:03 pm

Yes a very interesting series! A little on the dark edgy side but they can make still make it within the vision of Star Trek. What else is interesting is the Romulan War was mentioned in the new Star Trek movie? The reason I say this is because they detect the Narada as a Romulan vessel and also Nero does not mention this war. To me a movie or series based from the Romulan War does not seem likely now but at least there is a good book series.