Star Trek & Sushi

kludge77

Report this Oct. 29 2009, 11:38 am

My wife shoosh me when I somehow brought up Star Trek while we were out at sushi.

Seriously? I think she was even sporting her "I Heart My Geek" shirt at the time. Not like we were undercover or anything.

So I did what any loving husband would do. I spoke quietly and when I came to the words 'Star Trek" I empathised them just enough to make her wildly uncomfortable.

So I ask you, are you embarrassed to Star Trek in public? I know I'm not.

kludge77

Report this Oct. 29 2009, 11:39 am

I posted this in the wrong forum... Now what?

MrsStarbuck

Report this Oct. 29 2009, 11:45 am

Well, I don't know if this is because I'm a noob, so I haven't developed any common sense about it yet ( :laugh: ) but I'm quite proud to admit my love for Trek in public.

In fact, when I go to a convention next month, I plan to travel in my costume on public transport to get there! ;)

kludge77

Report this Oct. 29 2009, 12:01 pm

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Oct. 28 2009, 8:45 pm)

You are an outtie for sure!

I don't own a costume and haven't 'conventioned' yet, but I'd never shy away from a public conversation. Heck I had a 30 minute conversation with a stranger in the book store about City of the Edge of Forever.

When it was done, the wife was no where to be seen! :)

Vger23

Report this Oct. 29 2009, 12:42 pm

It's an excellent question.

I'd say that I'm as comfortable with "Star Trek" being one of my passions as I am with anything else. I will talk Trek with anyone, anywhere as long as it is not inappropriate. I have a nice Trek background on my monitor desktop at work. I have 2 Trek movie posters framed and displayed in my home theater at all times (along with a mix of 4 other posters).

I won't dress up in public, but that's because I wouldn't in private either. Nothing wrong with that...It just isn't my thing. Similarly, I won't engage in Trek conversations about stuff that doesn't really interest me in public, either. In other words, you'll never catch me discussing how Geordi re-aligned the phase inducers to enhance the efficiency of the warp core, thus allowing the deflector dish to send out a modified tachyon beam that opens up a rift in the fabric of space/time as we know it. You'll never catch me arguing about stuff like "who would win in a fight, Romulans who have been assimilated by the Borg or Jem'Haddar in possession of the Iconian Gateway." There's some more "hardcore" subjects like these that I just don't find entertaining or interesting that other fans totally eat up. It's a "to each his own" situation. I don't care how the warp drive works...as long as it gets our space cowboys to their next adventure...!

On the other hand, I've been to conventions before and I've worn Trek t-shirts out on rare occasion...so it is what it is.

So, I guess I am happy to simply "be me" in public when it comes to Trek. I'll engage in things that interest me, but I'll steer clear of subjects that don't.

I think that's funny that you made the little lady squirm like that. That's what good husbands are for.

SaturnsRings

Report this Oct. 29 2009, 3:01 pm

My wife is very supportive of my Trek fandom and pretty much all of my friends are at some level of fandom themselves so it is no problem for us.

Narada

Report this Oct. 29 2009, 3:12 pm

Yes it can be embarrassing because I needed to explain to some people who did not understand Star Trek before. But I feel it is much less embarrassing now that the new Star Trek movie is out because it is back into modern culture and starting to be currently relevant again.

PhantomCrunk007

Report this Oct. 29 2009, 8:34 pm

Quote (kludge77 @ Oct. 28 2009, 9:01 pm)
Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Oct. 28 2009, 8:45 pm)
Well, I don't know if this is because I'm a noob, so I haven't developed any common sense about it yet ¿but I'm quite proud to admit my love for Trek in public.

You are an outtie for sure!

When it was done, the wife was no where to be seen! :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know that feeling. One of the factors of me breaking up with my last girlfriend was she absolutely HATED Trek. I kinda saw the break up coming down the road after she told me that.

ssmukhi

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 1:24 am

Quote (kludge77 @ Oct. 29 2009, 11:38 pm)

So I ask you, are you embarrassed to Star Trek in public? I know I'm not.

No, why should I be? If you can discuss sex, religion, politics in public, why not Trek? It's just a TV show for goodness sakes! Obviously people who are embarassed by it think it's a lot more than that.

I just came from a Star Wars vs Star Trek disussion in real life over lunch with someone who genuinely wanted to know more about both. I was not embarassed at all to explain the difference between the two.  Emphasising that I prefer Trek over Wars anyday! I was quite happy to do so!

RomulusRemus

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 1:36 am

I was never embarassed to admit that I was a Trek fan.
That is until the new movie showed up.
I will probably keep my Trek fandom secret now.

PhantomCrunk007

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 1:40 am

Quote (RomulusRemus @ Oct. 29 2009, 10:36 am)
I was never embarassed to admit that I was a Trek fan.
That is until the new movie showed up.
I will probably keep my Trek fandom secret now.

Who are you hiding from? So many more people are into trek now as a result of this movie.

RomulusRemus

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 1:50 am

Quote (PhantomCrunk007 @ Oct. 30 2009, 1:40 am)
Quote (RomulusRemus @ Oct. 29 2009, 10:36 am)
I was never embarassed to admit that I was a Trek fan.
That is until the new movie showed up.
I will probably keep my Trek fandom secret now.

No, they are into Abrams' bastardized version of Trek.
Big difference.

bensmalls_is_a_BigYellowJ
oint

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 1:56 am

:D :D :D

PhantomCrunk007

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 2:13 am

Quote (RomulusRemus @ Oct. 29 2009, 10:50 am)
Quote (PhantomCrunk007 @ Oct. 30 2009, 1:40 am)
Quote (RomulusRemus @ Oct. 29 2009, 10:36 am)
I was never embarassed to admit that I was a Trek fan.
That is until the new movie showed up.
I will probably keep my Trek fandom secret now.

No, they are into Abrams' bastardized version of Trek.
Big difference.

There is only a big difference in your head.

How you been matt?
Trek has moved on. Deal.

RomulusRemus

Report this Oct. 30 2009, 2:17 am

I am dealing with it by not discussing that farce with people who thinks that's what Trek is supposed to be.
I don't recall Star Trek being a pure action franchise.
You deal with that.