XI's opening sequence

yankeetrader

Report this Oct. 21 2009, 10:35 pm

Even as a boy Kirk cheated death.

WkdYngMan

Report this Oct. 22 2009, 1:08 am

And his father turned his own death into a fighting chance to live.

EbonyCHAOS

Report this Oct. 22 2009, 6:07 am

I was sort of curious. They say that the reason the 1701 looks new and updated is because of the Narada's interference with the timeline.

If that's the case then, shouldn't the Kelvin have at least looked like the old typical Starfleet vessels of the original timeline?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondered this.

Vger23

Report this Oct. 22 2009, 7:44 am

Quote (EbonyCHAOS @ Oct. 22 2009, 6:07 am)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondered this.

It's a good point. One that I've wondered about actually.

I think we'd have to assume that, since we have never seen a vessle from the era of the USS Kelvin in canon before (25 years prior to TOS) that the look and style of that ship was the norm at the time. We can also assume that, based on the wear shown on the ship, that the Kelvin was an older ship. She may have been constructed 20 years prior to the scene in the film, which would have put her 45 years removed from the "current" starfleet look.

TMP showed that Starfleet can very drastically change it's look and style of starship interiors over a very short span of time (TMP is supposed to take place roughly 2-3 years after TOS ended).

Admiral_BlackCat

Report this Oct. 22 2009, 8:22 am

Quote (yankeetrader @ Oct. 21 2009, 7:35 pm)
Even as a boy Kirk cheated death.

This seems to be a prominent theme with Kirk in STXI. He cheats death at his birth and then drives the car into the quarry and jumps out at the last second.

stovokor2000

Report this Oct. 22 2009, 5:44 pm

Quote (EbonyCHAOS @ Oct. 22 2009, 6:07 am)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondered this.

What a ship "looks" like is hardly an issue.

Its how it "functions" that matters.

And the fact is the Kelvin didnt "look" that much out of place.

We have never seen a ship from that era and the Kelvin looked similar in some ways to the NX class enterprise.

WkdYngMan

Report this Oct. 23 2009, 1:40 am

Quote (EbonyCHAOS @ Oct. 22 2009, 6:07 am)

We've never seen what they look like.  The Kelvin is now officially what we know late 22nd/early 23rd century starships to look like.

EbonyCHAOS

Report this Oct. 23 2009, 5:49 am

I know that we've never seen what Starfleet ships looked like during Kirk's infancy (2230's?), but come on, we've got...what...Daedalus on one end and Constitution on the other with the Kelvin (class unknown) in-between?

The Kelvin would be like reaching the top of the climb on a rollercoaster just before it goes down. :laugh:

Oh what the heck, it's sci-fi...I'll buy it. ;)

Users browsing this forum: miklamar