The Cloud

MrsStarbuck

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 6:06 am

Oh my god, I LOVED this episode so much! Janeway is just fantastic. She's so like me in a morning, needing her coffee before she can do anything :laugh:

Actually, I felt a little bit sorry for her at the start, because, while the crew seem to be forming bonds and growing close, she, for very understandable reasons, is still aloof from them all, and seems not to know how best to connect with them.
In TOS, Kirk had Spock and Bones to lean on, but for Janeway there doesn't seem to be an equivalent...yet.
Which is why I loved her scenes with Chakotay. I think it's wonderful that, even this far into the future, his tribe have still retained traditions like animal guides and spirit walks. I'd love to know what animal his guide is...do you ever find out?

The scene where Janeway was meeitng her animal for the first time was lovely, and the music almost brought a tear to my eye. It's such a shame she was interrupted and I hope she goes back to it.

Tuvok annoyed me a little at the beginning, the way he belittled Harry on the Bridge. His comment about it being inappropriate to admit you'd never seen something before to me was totally unwarranted, and also quite a 'snipe' for a Vulcan. I'm glad Harry got his own back, as it were. can I expect to see more tension between these two?

So now I am going to completely disagree with my sister, because I think Paris is great! Considering the darker tone of Voyager in general, I think a character like Paris is essential to provide some lighter moments. His 'bar' is fantastic (this is the first time I've ever seen a holodeck in action), although the 'French' woman has a dreadful accent!
I love the concept of people on Earth picking pockets 'just for the tourists'. Very clever.

There were also some nice moments between Torres and the Doctor. I adore his character, and his dry, sarcastic wit.

As to the actual plot of the nebula really being a 'creature', it reminded me of the TOS episode 'The Immunity Syndrome'. I'm glad that Janeway saw the importance of repairing the damamge they had done to it.

I adored the scene at the end when Janeway visits Paris's bar, and it's nice to see Harry making an effort to integrate her into their group. I hope there'll be more scenes of the crew having 'down time' because it's great to watch.

ssmukhi

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 7:24 am

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Oct. 15 2009, 6:06 pm)

:laugh:

Indeed. "There's coffee in that nebula! "  :laugh:

Oh YES! Wait for the episode "Resolutions".

Downtime, you'll get LOTS of that! Wait till you get to the episodes "Fair Haven", "Spirit Folk" etc.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 7:56 am

"There's coffee in that nebula!" I LOVED that line!

Looking forward to the other episodes you mentioned Ssmukhi. I can honestly say, and I know I've only seen four episodes so far (or five if you count Caretaker as two) that every single one so far has been brilliant.

ssmukhi

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 8:04 am

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Oct. 15 2009, 7:56 pm)
"There's coffee in that nebula!" I LOVED that line!

I'm looking forward to read your reviews as well.  :cool:

MrsStarbuck

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 10:17 am

Quote (ssmukhi @ Oct. 14 2009, 2:04 pm)
I'm looking forward to read your reviews as well. ?:cool:

Thanks :)

I think it's quite possible that you've commented on...if not every single review that I've written, then at least 95 percent of them all so far.

I'm honoured!

brcarthey

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 10:33 am

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Oct. 15 2009, 10:17 am)
Quote (ssmukhi @ Oct. 14 2009, 2:04 pm)
I'm looking forward to read your reviews as well. ?:cool:

Thanks :)

I'm honoured!

"the cloud" like most season one episodes was more light-hearted fun in learning about the characters.  who knew that janeway was also a pool shark?  but, i'm not surprised that torres tried to kill her spirit guide.  that brought a smile to my face.  and the emh is already showing some signs of growth with his wanting to be heard on the viewscreen.

it's interesting that you like paris so much now. i wonder how much you will like him as the series progresses.  he and torres are my favs, but i wasn't sure about either of them at the beginning b/c of their attitudes.

next up, "eye of the needle" :)

MrsStarbuck

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 10:54 am

Yes, I should have commented more on the Doctor because you've both mentioned that scene where he's waving his arms to get attention (which was really funny).
I've noticed a couple of the characters attempting to 'humanise' him a little bit...Kes suggested that maybe he should learn some counselling skills, and Torres told him to reprogramme his opening speech to something more 'appropriate'. It will be interesting to see what, if anything comes of all this, because when I watched my first ever Voyager episode (Q2) I honestly didn't know that he was meant to be a hologram.

As for Paris and Torres, the other thing I learned in Q2 (or Unimatrix Zero) was that they're a couple. Now I have to say, from what I've seen in these first four episodes I can not imagine them getting together at all! So I am very intrigued to see how this all comes about!

kludge77

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 11:05 am

This is an great episode for characters!

NEELIX: And how about some Takar loggerhead eggs with that this morning?
JANEWAY: Just coffee.
NEELIX: It's a tiny bit richer blend than you're used to, but you'll learn to love it. ¿

That was hilarious!

Or this bit:

NEELIX: Kes! Now look what she's gotten us into!
KES: Do all nebulas look like that?
NEELIX: I wouldn't know. I'm smart enough to go around nebulas when I encounter them.
KES: These people are natural born explorers, Neelix.
NEELIX: These people are natural born idiots, if you ask me. They don't appreciate what they have here. This ship is the match of any vessel within a hundred light years, and what do they do with it? 'Well, uh, let's see if we can't find some space anomaly today that might rip it apart!'

It was fun to see how your average Joe alien navigated space...avoiding problems. Not at all like humans. (no wonder the Q fear us)

The cloud was a lifeform... Yeah, I think most Trek fans saw that coming, but still a really fun show!

brcarthey

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 11:09 am

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Oct. 15 2009, 10:54 am)

yeah, i found that the torres, paris and the emh were the characters that grew the most.

btw, in unimatrix zero paris and torres were only dating, but by Q2 they were married and torres was pregnant with their first child.  how's that for character growth/change?  :D

MrsStarbuck

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 11:34 am

Quote (brcarthey @ Oct. 14 2009, 5:09 pm)
btw, in unimatrix zero paris and torres were only dating, but by Q2 they were married and torres was pregnant with their first child. ¿how's that for character growth/change? ¿:D

And considering I've watched them in this order: Q2 then Unimatrix Zero then season 1...that makes it the most startling character development ever! :laugh:

MrsStarbuck

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 11:37 am

Quote (kludge77 @ Oct. 14 2009, 5:05 pm)
This is an great episode for characters!

NEELIX: And how about some Takar loggerhead eggs with that this morning?
JANEWAY: Just coffee.
NEELIX: It's a tiny bit richer blend than you're used to, but you'll learn to love it. ?

That was hilarious!

Or this bit:

NEELIX: Kes! Now look what she's gotten us into!
KES: Do all nebulas look like that?
KES: These people are natural born explorers, Neelix.

Hmm...sorry, but I'm still kind of struggling with Neelix. Although I did love the scene where he tells Janeway how beautiful she looks, and she gets all coy about it.

But you're right, it was a great character episode. I'd say that most of the main characters seemed to have at least one good moment in this ep.

kludge77

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 11:40 am

Neelix annoyed the living daylights out of me! BUT the other crew reactions to him was great.

Neelix IS Jerry Lewis.

Tuvoc, Tom, Janeway and the Doctor all play great off of Neelix.

IE the captains look when he pours sludge into her cup!

MrsStarbuck

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 11:43 am

Okay, now THIS I agree with. He is a great comedic foil for the rest of the cast.

Jerry Lewis, lol...I can totally see that!

kludge77

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 11:50 am

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Oct. 14 2009, 8:43 pm)

Jerry Lewis, lol...I can totally see that!

There you go.

Let it play that way, and you might find him more ...likeable? bearable? enjoyable even.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Oct. 15 2009, 11:51 am

Got it. Thanks for the tip ;)

Now just tell me how to appreciate Tuvok :laugh: