BSG vs ST

UB313

Report this Oct. 05 2009, 5:28 am

Ok, I just watched all of series 1 of Battlestar Gallactica (the reimagined) and was wondering how people thought it compared to Star Trek.

Basically, I found it stylish. The action and SFX are clearly a massive breath of fresh air to any ST fan. Of all the STs it seems most similar to DS9 in style, which is probably a good thing.

But that said, on the basis of season 1 of BSG I'm still undecided. All I can find on line is rave reviews, which often play up how different it is to ST. But I'd say it has its flaws just like ST. E.g its less episodic than ST, and yet the overall plot does not seem to develop that much in season 1.

Can I expect an improvement in the later seasons of BSG?

axilmar1

Report this Oct. 05 2009, 6:03 am

The action and SFX are clearly a massive breath of fresh air to any ST fan.

Not for me.

No. BSG, DS9 and B5 are soap operas in space. It's not want I want to see from a sci-fi series.

The above is clearly my opinion and there is no need for a massive flamewar to follow.

TheDriver

Report this Oct. 05 2009, 7:37 am

The reason BSG is so similar to DS9 is the fact Ron Moore served as an executive producer and writer on DS9, and he was the executive producer and head writer on BSG.

So yeah, there are a lot of similarities.

For my tastes? BSG is absolutely superior to TNG, VOY, and ENT. However, it's tough to say whether DS9 or BSG is better as they're both "kindred spirits."

And hey, TOS is in a world of its own. There can really be no comparison.

Unregistered_Guest

Report this Oct. 05 2009, 7:50 am

Quote (Yanks @ Oct. 05 2009, 3:27 am)
[quote=UB313,Oct. 05 2009, 5:28 am]Can I expect an improvement in the later seasons of BSG?

If you are like me, you'll be on the edge of your seat until the end of season 2 and RAZOR.

Then it's all down hill...

Agreed. It does tend to slow way down and get very repetitive midway into season 3 and most of season 4. So glad they wisely decided to abandon plans for a fifth season.

That said, wait for it.......... the finale is spectacular!  Well worth the wait, easily one of the best series ends in all of TV history.

The end compares well with the end of DS9.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Oct. 05 2009, 9:11 am

The Star Trek Destiny series that I finished reading and the TNG Lossing The Peace that I am reading now make Trek feel like BSG. This book series is good.

tribblenator999

Report this Oct. 05 2009, 11:03 am

Star Trek is the benchmark of sci fi. :)

lostshaker

Report this Oct. 05 2009, 11:35 am

Quote (tribblenator999 @ Oct. 05 2009, 11:03 am)
Star Trek is the benchmark of sci fi. :)

^ Truth.

Like others have said BSG was good the first 2 seasons - the four hour premiere was great - but I would have traded it for Trek without thinking or missing the revamp one bit.

After New Caprica I wanted almost everyone to die. Helo, Athena, and Hera were the only ones I wanted to live. I was glad for the show to be over. I'm debating on giving 'Caprica' a try. I've seen the pilot, but I don't know if I'd want to watch a series.

Admiral_JTK

Report this Oct. 05 2009, 12:54 pm

Quote (Yanks @ Oct. 05 2009, 8:40 am)
Quote (Unregistered_Guest @ Oct. 05 2009, 7:50 am)
Quote (Yanks @ Oct. 05 2009, 3:27 am)

Then it's all down hill...

That said, wait for it.......... the finale is spectacular! ?Well worth the wait, easily one of the best series ends in all of TV history. ?

The end compares well with the end of DS9.

I was not pleased with the ending. Not that what we got was bad, but we still don't know the "plan". It's been the back story from day one, and not included in the closer. good thing that we get a made for TV movie in November.

Also, the only character I actually felt something for was Rosilin. All the other ones had betrayed each other so often I just didn't care.

I agree with much of this, and yes I also found the BSG finale to have been amazing - I watched the unaired version on DVD and was thoroughly enjoyed with it - I have no idea what the difference is between that and the aired version, but I do love how they ended the unaired version at the very end.

As for "The Plan"....there is going to be a DVD release of BSG: The Plan on Oct. 27 which SHOULD touch upon what you're missing Yanks.

Admiral_JTK

Report this Oct. 05 2009, 2:16 pm

I honestly couldnt say Yanks, I never watch anything when it airs on TV anymore - I usually wait for DVD release if I dont DVR the show, which is what I did with almost all of BSG. All I can tell you is that I have BSG: The Plan on my DVD rental queue and it states releasing Oct. 27.

Lucifer_

Report this Oct. 08 2009, 11:14 pm

Quote (tribblenator999 @ Oct. 05 2009, 11:03 am)
Star Trek is the benchmark of bad sci fi. :)

Fixed.  :O  :whatthe:  :bugout:  :laugh:  :p

lion_tone

Report this Oct. 09 2009, 2:28 am

BSG is the *only* television sci-fi series that deserves to be mentioned along side Star Trek TOS. I would go so far to say that BSG is more pure sci-fi (in a classic sense) than TOS ever was. TOS has the advantage of being a *game-changer* in terms of TV culture, and all following Drama/Sci-fi, where BSG was an end-product of sci-fi storytelling, and onscreen technology. Star Trek TOS will always be #1, and finally had a worthy successor in BSG to hand the baton to.

BSG is much more the child of TOS than any "Trek" spin-off ever was.

UB313

Report this Oct. 09 2009, 10:35 am

Must say I tend to agree with axilmar1 on the basis of season 1 of BSG.

OK as military drama, but as sci-fi, a bit dissapointing. What drew me was not the grittiness or moral ambiguity of characters, but actually the cool back story involving the Cylons. War with machines, ok, not original, but as space opera I thought it could be interesting.

But no attempt is made to explain the Cylons' zealousness. Except one phrase "the humans are our parents. But parents have to die for the children to come in to their own"! Er, no. And why can the Cylons only speak for themselves when they appear in human form?

And why do they have hundreds of fighters which just fly aimlessly round and round their basestars?

Yes, powerful robots they may be. But the humans have a major advantage in that the Cylons cannot move around without announcing their presence with that loud cluncking noise. Nor do they seem to have any sensory enhancements or anything since Helo and Sharron manage to evade them pretty easily. Not exactly T1000s.

Not only would it be nice to know what this "plan" is. But also why did they attack every 33 minutes?

And why was it so hard for BSG to find water, a compound that should be present in abundance in most solar systems? And why does a fleet which can jump instantaneously at FTL speeds have such low technology? This may be dismissed as "techno-babble" by some, but I actually appreciated ST's attempts to make stuff plausible scientifically.

Characters: I like Adama - you can admire him like Piccard. But as funny as Baltor is, its hard to put up with a man who is so utterly, unambiguously narcissistic. Or to respect anyone who would be so foolish as to trust such a clearly deranged and shifty character. And where's the fun in knowing there are hidden Cylons when you also know that the only man who could ever reveal them will never do so?

You get the same bang for your buck regarding the hidden Cylon theme just by watching the single DS9 episode "the adversary", or maybe "iPS/bIL" (which reminds me of the season 1 BSG finale).

Hawklord

Report this Oct. 09 2009, 2:58 pm

I like 'em both. And add B5, too.

The way that BSG is better than Trek is that there is no techno-babble.

Except in the mini-series. The scene where Lee operates an FTL engine to move Galactica out of the way of some Cylon missiles, and then gives some BS explanation of what happened.

That, and there were no aliens, either.

No humanoids with bumpy foreheads to be found, or goofy-looking, obvious puppet aliens.

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Oct. 09 2009, 3:10 pm

Quote (lion_tone @ Oct. 08 2009, 11:28 pm)

BSG is much more the child of TOS than any "Trek" spin-off ever was.

:whatthe:  :eyesroll:

You seriously just lost all credibility  by saying BSG is the child of TOS  more than a TREK  spinoff.....

lion_tone

Report this Oct. 09 2009, 7:42 pm

Quote (Vice_Adm_Baxter @ Oct. 09 2009, 3:10 pm)
Quote (lion_tone @ Oct. 08 2009, 11:28 pm)

BSG is much more the child of TOS than any "Trek" spin-off ever was.

:whatthe: ?:eyesroll:

You seriously just lost all credibility ?by saying BSG is the child of TOS ?more than a TREK ?spinoff.....

How did I lose credibility? Did I ever claim to have credibility? Does taking crappy pics wearing Star Trek uniforms give one credibility?

Ronald Moore has stated MANY times how much he was influenced by TOS. In fact, his very *thinking* was influenced by TOS. The way BSG handled drama and music was MUCH like TOS, being almost operatic in nature. You can draw a direct lineage from Star Trek TOS, to Star Trek II, to BSG.

TNG, and the spin-offs, had very little TOS DNA left in it, as Berman tried to distance (fake) Trek from the original series and movies. It had virtually no drama, no music, and no flawed people. It was about perfect people finding other (flawed) people with prosthetic foreheads.

Users browsing this forum: miklamar