Star Trek closed October 1

SaturnsRings

Report this Oct. 04 2009, 4:23 pm

Star Trek officially closed from theaters on October first according to Box Office Mojo.

Final box office numbers were:

Domestic:   $257,730,019     67.0%
+ Foreign: $126,723,993   33.0%
= Worldwide: $384,454,012

I thought it would do about 250 million domestic but wish it had done more in the foreign box office. Anyway it was both a financial and critical success.

How do you think the DVD sales will go?

SpaceClown77

Report this Oct. 04 2009, 4:33 pm

Quote (SaturnsRings @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:23 pm)

Final box office numbers were:

Domestic: ¿ $257,730,019 ¿ ¿ 67.0%
+ Foreign: $126,723,993 ¿ 33.0%
= Worldwide: $384,454,012

How do you think the DVD sales will go?

Cool.

I thought it would do better worldwide(I wish it would've been the first Trek film to hit $500 mil, but hey, maybe next time.)

DVD/Blue-Ray sales will probably be strong. They usually are for a popular film such as this.

SaturnsRings

Report this Oct. 04 2009, 4:38 pm

Quote (trekbuff @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:34 pm)
Quote (SaturnsRings @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:23 pm)

Final box office numbers were:

Domestic: ? $257,730,019 ? ? 67.0%
+ Foreign: $126,723,993 ? 33.0%
= Worldwide: $384,454,012

How do you think the DVD sales will go?

I predicted $300 million and folks thought I was nuts.

I have a feeling a lot of fans will buy two copies.

Funny how it was constantly said STXI wasn't being made for existing fans and it was probably many of us buying multiple tickets making so much money for the film.

I believe it will be a lot of fans buying the DVD. The interesting thing is the fans may buy two copies, but not 10 or 20. The DVD sales could end up being no where close to ticket sales.

Do you know of any site on the net that tracks DVD sales? I would like to keep an eye on this one.

I will buy the 2 disk copy and I will upgrade once I get a blue ray player.

SpaceClown77

Report this Oct. 04 2009, 4:38 pm

Quote (trekbuff @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:34 pm)
The interesting thing is the fans may buy two copies, but not 10 or 20.

Why on earth would anyone buy 10 or 20 copies?

RomulusRemus

Report this Oct. 04 2009, 4:41 pm

Quote (SaturnsRings @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:38 pm)

I will buy the 2 disk copy and I will upgrade once I get a blue ray player.

The-Numbers.com has a chart with DVD sales updated weekly, but it's about a week behind.
BoxOfficeMojo.com used to have a DVD rentals chart too, but I guess they pulled the plug on that.

SaturnsRings

Report this Oct. 04 2009, 4:45 pm

Quote (RomulusRemus @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:41 pm)
Quote (SaturnsRings @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:38 pm)

I will buy the 2 disk copy and I will upgrade once I get a blue ray player.

Thanks! :)

SaturnsRings

Report this Oct. 04 2009, 4:51 pm

Quote (trekbuff @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:49 pm)
Quote (SaturnsRings @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:45 pm)
Quote (RomulusRemus @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:41 pm)
Quote (SaturnsRings @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:38 pm)

I will buy the 2 disk copy and I will upgrade once I get a blue ray player.

Thanks! :)

It is now your job, SR, to keep us updated.

:D

I will do that! :)

SpaceClown77

Report this Oct. 04 2009, 4:54 pm

Quote (trekbuff @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:47 pm)
Quote (SpaceClown77 @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:38 pm)
Quote (trekbuff @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:34 pm)
The interesting thing is the fans may buy two copies, but not 10 or 20.

Why on earth would anyone buy 10 or 20 copies?

I believe that was my point, dipstick...

Oh. I get it now.

For a minute their I thought... never mind.

WkdYngMan

Report this Oct. 04 2009, 5:53 pm

Quote (SaturnsRings @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:23 pm)
How do you think the DVD sales will go?

Well.  They seem to be doing well in pre-sales as it is.  Just wait til a formal ad campaign starts in a few weeks.

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Oct. 04 2009, 10:53 pm

Quote (SaturnsRings @ Oct. 04 2009, 1:38 pm)

I will buy the 2 disk copy and I will upgrade once I get a blue ray player.

Why upgrade and buy twice?  When you should focus on enjoying what you already own.

By the time most everyone is upgraded to Blu-Ray they will come out with a newer more advanced system for you to upgrade too.

Unregistered_Guest

Report this Oct. 05 2009, 7:35 am

Quote (RomulusRemus @ Oct. 04 2009, 1:41 pm)
Quote (SaturnsRings @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:38 pm)

I will buy the 2 disk copy and I will upgrade once I get a blue ray player.

Checked out the-numbers.com.   Very interesting site, lots of data.

There's a problem though.   The DVD sales numbers are only estimates, or educated guesses, because the companies guard the numbers like they are state secrets.  What's with all the secrecy?  The studios can't wait to publicize every penny of the box office reciepts but won't release DVD sales data.  Anyone know the reason for that?

As that website states, even Walmart will not release any sales numbers for DVDs so the site has to guess as to what they are.

Also, the numbers are for DVD only, no Blu Ray sales are included.  This could really skew the reports for STXI sales.  STXI BR has been in the top ten of Amazon's best sellers list for 80 days.  Really good considering it is still in pre-order status.  The DVD version is way down on the list.  So with BR outselling DVD, how accurate can the-numbers.com report be?

BTW, Wolverine sold approx. 2.5 million in its first week.  Will ST out do that?  Probably.  The leader this year so far is Twilight, selling 3.5 million first week.

Unregistered_Guest

Report this Oct. 05 2009, 7:38 am

Quote (Vice_Adm_Baxter @ Oct. 04 2009, 7:53 pm)

Great!  Can hardly wait.  I love and live for progress.

RomulusRemus

Report this Oct. 05 2009, 2:04 pm

Quote (Unregistered_Guest @ Oct. 05 2009, 7:35 am)
Quote (RomulusRemus @ Oct. 04 2009, 1:41 pm)
Quote (SaturnsRings @ Oct. 04 2009, 4:38 pm)

I will buy the 2 disk copy and I will upgrade once I get a blue ray player.

Checked out the-numbers.com. ¿ Very interesting site, lots of data. ¿

There's a problem though. ¿ The DVD sales numbers are only estimates, or educated guesses, because the companies guard the numbers like they are state secrets. ¿What's with all the secrecy? ¿The studios can't wait to publicize every penny of the box office reciepts but won't release DVD sales data. ¿Anyone know the reason for that?

Also, the numbers are for DVD only, no Blu Ray sales are included. ¿This could really skew the reports for STXI sales. ¿STXI BR has been in the top ten of Amazon's best sellers list for 80 days. ¿Really good considering it is still in pre-order status. ¿The DVD version is way down on the list. ¿So with BR outselling DVD, how accurate can the-numbers.com report be?

BTW, Wolverine sold approx. 2.5 million in its first week. ¿Will ST out do that? ¿Probably. ¿The leader this year so far is Twilight, selling 3.5 million first week.

The-Numbers.com is the only site I know of that has any DVD sales data.
If anyone else knows of a better site, they are free to post it.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Oct. 05 2009, 5:02 pm

Cool! I hope the sequel does the same then maybe we will get another Trek TV Series.

Admiral_BlackCat

Report this Oct. 06 2009, 2:35 am

I think DVD sales will be comparable to "Batman Begins" or even "Ironman".

Users browsing this forum: Drunkin Druid, wissa