I Just Watched "Strange New World" From Season 1

Naruto365

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 3:24 pm

This Is By Far My Favorite Enterprise Episode. Yes Better Than Shuttle Pod 1, Heck, Its In My Top 5 Episodes Of Trek. Trip Was Awesome In This Episode (So Was T'Pol). Enterprise Visits An Earth Like Planet But A Hallucinogenic Pollen In The Air Causes The Away Team To Get Really Paranoid And Hostile Towards Each Other. The Plot Is A Little Corny And Predictable But Its Still Good. The Actors Really Did A Great Job And It Was Well Written. After Watching The Entire First Season (I Have Not Seen Any Other Enterprise Seasons) I Still Don't Understand Why It Was Cancelled After A Very Short Time. Some Great Character Development Here And It Really Kept Me In Suspense.

I Cannot Wait To Start With Season 2.

Thoughts?

Dbear1

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 5:30 pm

I have always listed this as one of my favorites from season one.  I usually list Strange New World, Shuttle Pod One and Fallen Hero as the best of season one, in no particular order.

This episode captured the sense of exploration for the crew, this being the first real planet they show them exploring.  It provided a good sense of wonder for me because they showed the planet as almost earth like, but there were enough differences to show they were someplace else.

Once they became affected by the pollen the show really became good.  The conflict between TPol and Trip was well done and very well acted by both I feel.  It showed how much distrust there was between the humans and the Vulcans still and how the drug brought out all those prejudices.

Very good episode by my standard thoroughly enjoyed it.

whyaduck

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 5:34 pm

Naruto. Welcome. The reason I feel Enterprise is the incredible show it is is because of the character driven plots. Watching the crew, their relationships, and their reactions to experiences grow through the series was why, for me, this show worked so well.

Watching them change from naive and awe struck adventurers to what they eventually become (you haven't watched all four seasons yet, so you're in for a real treat) is what makes this show so special to me.

There was plenty of suspense, spookiness, good plots, great effects, a terrific ship, connections to TOS (which some Trek fans found fault with), and for me the closeness to our time gave Enterprise and its crew a connection to me that was missing in the other Trek shows.

It didn't hurt that there were hunky guys and beautiful women on board.

Unfortunately, it seems that many Trek fans had issues with it when it first aired and didn't give it a fair chance.

"Where no dog has gone before."
-Tucker, following Porthos' ebullient departure from the shuttlepod and marking his territory at a nearby tree

"Let me guess... no ghost stories on Vulcan?"
-Tucker, to T'Pol

grigori

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 5:46 pm

Hey Naruto!

I thought ENT had a strong cast, but I think it was in THIS episode that I sat up and took notice: who is this Connor Trinneer guy? Then he went on and, in SOME episodes, acted CIRCLES around even the likes of Bak and Gary Graham etc. Only Jeffrey Combs (Shran) came close.

Dbear1

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 6:08 pm

Have to agree, this is the episode that first showed CT acting skills and also started fleshing out the Trip character, who developed into one of the most popular characters on the show.

Plus I have to admit, Trip and TPol were two the very few sets of characters that it was actually kind of fun watching them fight.

honeybee1111

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 6:12 pm

This is one of my favorite first season episodes. I love that it was shot on location, and I second most of what others have said. The eventual evolution of the humans from star-struck to battle scarred is one of the best things about the show. I also love that this is T'Pol's first foray into "play acting" which she does again and again throughout the series.

sonofspock1

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 8:31 pm

I have to agree. Could've been corny, but they pulled it off.

sonofspock1

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 8:46 pm

Doing a bit of browsing on Memory Alpha.

Kellie Waymire (Crewman Cutler) was only 36 when she died in 2003. I never knew what she died off, an undiagnosed irregular heartbeat. This was only three episodes she filmed, the other's being Dear Doctor and Two Days and Two Nights. A S3 episode I watched a few days ago mentioned her as having her arm cut by an Anomoly.

A downright shame no episode was dedicated to her memory.

Rest in Peace.

honeybee1111

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 9:12 pm

Yeah, Kellie Waymire did a ton of guest shots in the late 1990s. She did multiple episodes of Six Feet Under. She also did one episode of Everwood, and they dedicated a later episode to her. One of the last things she did was a terrific, unaired episode of Wonderfalls, which is on the DVD and also dedicated to her memory. I always thought ENT should have dedicated an episode to her, maybe even The Forgotten.

sonofspock1

Report this Sep. 29 2009, 7:03 pm

Quote (Yanks @ Sep. 29 2009, 3:15 pm)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 28 2009, 8:46 pm)
Doing a bit of browsing on Memory Alpha.

A downright shame no episode was dedicated to her memory.

Rest in Peace.

Yes, totally agree. I always enjoyed her although I never saw her in anything but Star Trek. She lit up the screen for me.

I think they were going to go ahead and make her Phlox's assistant.

Phlox should've had an assitant from day one. Look at the size of Sickbay, and all those stations, just for one Denobulan?

B&B must've gotten used to a One-Doctor Sickbay on Voyager.

Dbear1

Report this Sep. 29 2009, 7:08 pm

Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 29 2009, 7:03 pm)
Quote (Yanks @ Sep. 29 2009, 3:15 pm)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 28 2009, 8:46 pm)
Doing a bit of browsing on Memory Alpha.

A downright shame no episode was dedicated to her memory.

Rest in Peace.

I think they were going to go ahead and make her Phlox's assistant.

B&B must've gotten used to a One-Doctor Sickbay on Voyager.

Actually they periodically show medical technicians helping Phlox, but they never named them.  Example during the Klingon two parter, they showed a female tech filling in since Phlox was not there.

Granted it might have been nice to see a bit more depth on those extras, but they likely did it to reduce cost.  Plus the ship was really small compared to the future vessels.

sonofspock1

Report this Sep. 29 2009, 7:20 pm

Quote (Dbear1 @ Sep. 30 2009, 12:08 am)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 29 2009, 7:03 pm)
Quote (Yanks @ Sep. 29 2009, 3:15 pm)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 28 2009, 8:46 pm)
Doing a bit of browsing on Memory Alpha.

A downright shame no episode was dedicated to her memory.

Rest in Peace.

I think they were going to go ahead and make her Phlox's assistant.

B&B must've gotten used to a One-Doctor Sickbay on Voyager.

Actually they periodically show medical technicians helping Phlox, but they never named them. ?Example during the Klingon two parter, they showed a female tech filling in since Phlox was not there.

Granted it might have been nice to see a bit more depth on those extras, but they likely did it to reduce cost. ?Plus the ship was really small compared to the future vessels.

Besides Nurse Chapel on TOS,Alyssa Ogawa on Next Gen and the "in training" Kes on Voyager, they were the only nurses we got to know and saw helping, the CMO of their respective vessels.

Whenever ST graces the small screen agian, I hope they take a leaf out of the Stargate shows. They had loads of recurring characters throughout the years; Walter, Dr. Frasier in SG-1 and Zelenka, Lorne, Amelia on Atlantis, and that great system will probably be on SG Universe too. It just makes the world of the show more populated, outside of the contracted weekly cast members.

Dbear1

Report this Sep. 29 2009, 7:24 pm

Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 29 2009, 7:20 pm)
Quote (Dbear1 @ Sep. 30 2009, 12:08 am)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 29 2009, 7:03 pm)
Quote (Yanks @ Sep. 29 2009, 3:15 pm)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 28 2009, 8:46 pm)
Doing a bit of browsing on Memory Alpha.

A downright shame no episode was dedicated to her memory.

Rest in Peace.

I think they were going to go ahead and make her Phlox's assistant.

B&B must've gotten used to a One-Doctor Sickbay on Voyager.

Oh I agree totally with on having recurring characters that are part of the show makes sense and fleshes out the show.  Really the only crewmembers outside the main cast I can think of that got reoccurring speaking parts were Cutler, Rothschild (think that was his name), also Hayes and to lesser extent Hawkins in season three.

whyaduck

Report this Sep. 29 2009, 7:33 pm

Quote (Dbear1 @ Sep. 29 2009, 7:24 pm)
Oh I agree totally with on having recurring characters that are part of the show makes sense and fleshes out the show. ¿Really the only crewmembers outside the main cast I can think of that got reoccurring speaking parts were Cutler, Rothschild (think that was his name), also Hayes and to lesser extent Hawkins in season three.

Probably a budget thing. They always had extras on the bridge, in the mess hall, or walking around . As soon as someone speaks, they have to pay the actor more. I bet they figured that the ship carried only approximately 80 people, so they didn't need to show that many speaking characters other than the main cast and guest cast.

sonofspock1

Report this Sep. 29 2009, 7:35 pm

Quote (Dbear1 @ Sep. 30 2009, 12:24 am)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 29 2009, 7:20 pm)
Quote (Dbear1 @ Sep. 30 2009, 12:08 am)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 29 2009, 7:03 pm)
Quote (Yanks @ Sep. 29 2009, 3:15 pm)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 28 2009, 8:46 pm)
Doing a bit of browsing on Memory Alpha.

A downright shame no episode was dedicated to her memory.

Rest in Peace.

I think they were going to go ahead and make her Phlox's assistant.

B&B must've gotten used to a One-Doctor Sickbay on Voyager.

Of course, Enterprise had recuring characters, ie Forest, Soval & Shran; but we could've done with recurring characters on the ship.

The Powers That Be could've done excellent things with the MACOS. Alas, IMO, they just turned up and shot things when needed.

I think I shall take a break from here for a while.  :)