The Nexus and all it's plot holes

Ali88

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 12:47 pm

I want to explain to everyone all the plot holes and logical errors that the Nexus had in Star Trek: generations

1. If you enter the Nexus, you can leave and go ANYWHERE ANYTIME. Picard goes back 10 minutes before Soran launched the solar probe at the Veridian star. Why not go back and save his brother and nephew and then take out Soran when he was in Ten forward a couple of days later.

2. In the nexus, we learn that you can enter anyone else's nexus at anytime. Picard only enters Kirk's and no one else's. He didn't meet 100 other people in the nexus and convince them to come back and help stop Soran- he only takes Kirk back with him.

3. How many people are in the Nexus from the real universe? Surely there's more people than just Kirk, Picard and Soran- how long have they all been there?

4. Soran wnats to stay in the Nexus for an eternity- wouldn't you get bored in the Nexus after a while?

5. To this day, Soran is still in the Nexus. Why didn't Picard and Kirk enter Soran's Nexus and kill him or something. Even though Picard and Kirk stopped the solar probe and Soran died from the launcher explosion, SORAN IS STILL IN THE NEXUS

6. Time has no meaning in the Nexus. Kirk and Picard could spend millions of years in the Nexus and then go back and stop Soran

7. If there are people in the Nexus at all time, doesn't that mean that someone could leave the Nexus at any time, go back in the past and change the timeline at any moment?

8. Even if Kirk and Picard failed to stop the solar probe from hitting the veridian star- what's the problem? Kirk and Picard can just go back into the Nexus again and leave again like a week before and kill Soran when he's sitting on the toilet or something- WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THAT THE FIRST TIME?

9. HOW does Kirk cross over 80 years in the Nexus? Guinan said that from Kirk's viewpoint, he arrived in the Nexus at the same time as Picard. Does this mean that from everyone's perspective, everyone enters the Nexus all at the same time no matter what century they came from?

10. WHY did Soran let Picard go into the Nexus with him if Picard could leave the Nexus, go back and stop Soran?

11. When Picard left the Nexus and went back 10 minutes Veridian III, shouldn't there have been two Picards on Veridian III?

12. Picard said to Kirk "CAPTAIN, LOOK, I NEED YOUR HELP"

WTF????????!!!!!!!!! PICARD DIDN'T NEED KIRK'S HELP IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Soran said to Picard he spent 80 years looking for another way to get into the Nexus and said launching the solar probe at the veridian star was the only one

Soran is a 300 year old scientist- I'm not a scientist but here are other ways of getting into the Nexus that I thought of in a couple of minutes:

1. Fly near the ribbon and beam yourself into it

2. Fly into the ribbon in a space suit, like the one Spock wore in The Motion Picture (Spock did in the "Bring Back Kirk" CGI trailer)

3. Fly into the ribbon with a ship- the Enterprise B did and that ship didn't get destroyed

Ali88

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 1:02 pm

Quote (starbase63 @ Sep. 28 2009, 12:48 pm)
So let me guess, it's "Pick on Star Trek: Generations Week," Ali?

:logical:

It's not picking on the movie itself but more on the plot device in the movie

SaturnsRings

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 1:28 pm

This is why there are times you need to put your brain on hold and just enjoy some entertainment. Sometimes analyzing a film is fun and then there are times when it can just take all the fun out of a movie.

That doesn't mean that Ali88 doesn't make some great points.

Despite the plot holes there is much to enjoy about Star Trek: Generations.

Narada

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 4:33 pm

It is true though the Nexus is filled with many problems even though it is only a plot device for entertainment. Besides the plot holes there are also symbolic meanings that some fans dislike. One symbolic meaning of the Nexus that I dislike is that Kirk is fooled by the Nexus. He is found chopping wood here which means he is sleeping. I know this is part of the theme and it has implications but I do not prefer to believe Kirk would let this happen to himself. I do not mind of Kirk dying as much but there are also problems with this.

It is still a pretty good story and brings the Captains together but the problems in the OP are all true. I will not go into detail but all these statements have truth and there are probably more. Generations is not a favorite movie of mine also for other reasons but I still watch it sometimes. I very much like William Shatner and Malcolm McDowell and the Next Generation cast and writers. I wish for their sake and ours the movie could be better.

SaturnsRings

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 4:43 pm

Quote (Narada @ Sep. 28 2009, 4:33 pm)

I agree Narada, my biggest complaint with the whole Nexus is that Kirk is so out of character in that part of the movie.

Narada

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 4:49 pm

Quote (SaturnsRings @ Sep. 28 2009, 4:43 pm)
Quote (Narada @ Sep. 28 2009, 4:33 pm)

:logical:  :logical:  :cool:

Ali88

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 4:58 pm

Quote (SaturnsRings @ Sep. 28 2009, 4:43 pm)
Quote (Narada @ Sep. 28 2009, 4:33 pm)

WHICH PART? You mean when he's in the Nexus chopping wood and cooking eggs?

Vger23

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 8:32 pm

I think many of these issues are completely legit, and others have some basic creative explanation. I always just put these things aside when I watch "Generations" and try to allow myself to just enjoy the movie. Overall, it's not one of my favorites amongst the Trek movies...but still quite entertaining.

I always had a problem with this:

Data says that any ship which approaches the Nexus has either been destroyed or severely damaged. We this this first hand as the gravometric distortion destroys the Lakul and her sister ship and nearly destroys the Enterprise as well. It is portrayed as a violent, gut-wrenching environment to be close to the Nexus.

So...if this is the case...why does it just glide peacefully over Picard and Soran as they stand on Veridian III? Wouldn't it just as easily kill them? Shouldn't it at least be the cause of some massive atmospheric disturbances?

That never made sense to me.

Still, it's Star Trek, so a "poor" Star Trek movie is still more enjoyable than 90 percent of other movies out there.

SaturnsRings

Report this Sep. 28 2009, 8:39 pm

Quote (Ali88 @ Sep. 28 2009, 4:58 pm)
Quote (SaturnsRings @ Sep. 28 2009, 4:43 pm)
Quote (Narada @ Sep. 28 2009, 4:33 pm)

WHICH PART? You mean when he's in the Nexus chopping wood and cooking eggs?

Yes, up until Kirk decides to join Picard I don't think he was acting like the Jim Kirk we all knew.