Arik Soong

IKS_Okrand

Report this Sep. 14 2009, 4:48 pm

I haven't seen any of the episodes regarding him, but was Arik Soong anyway related to Khan Noonien Singh and Noonien Soong from TNG? I know that their names can't be a mere coincidence, so I'm...confused. :question:

sonofspock1

Report this Sep. 14 2009, 5:24 pm

Arik Soong is an ancestor of Noonien, creator of Data, Lore and B-4. But his field of expertise was eugenics, which involved Augments, just like Khan. Arik Soong even mentions Khan in one of his episodes.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Sep. 14 2009, 5:58 pm

Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 14 2009, 5:24 pm)

It was in the ENT episode "The Augments"

sonofspock1

Report this Sep. 14 2009, 6:01 pm

Quote (BrotherofShran01 @ Sep. 14 2009, 10:58 pm)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 14 2009, 5:24 pm)

It was in the ENT episode "The Augments"

I used to be very good with episode names. Not so much anymore.  :blush:

captbates

Report this Sep. 14 2009, 6:04 pm

Quote (IKS_Okrand @ Sep. 13 2009, 9:48 pm)

No, he is the father figure to a group of augments, and tries to revive all the stored augment embryos on Cold Station 12. Later realising that the warning of "superior ability breeds superior ambition" was correct, he turns to cybernetics, saying that it might take a generation or two to complete, which leads us to Noonien Soong, most likely Arik's great grand son.

An encounter between the Augments and the Klingons later leads to the incident which causes the Klingons to lose their ridges and become more human, giving us the Klingons seen in TOS.

roser5838

Report this Sep. 15 2009, 10:46 am

Quote (captbates @ Sep. 14 2009, 6:04 pm)
[quote=IKS_Okrand,Sep. 13 2009, 9:48 pm]

Cool THAT'S why there are different Klingons.  There is talk about them on another thread, but I haven't seen the DS9 episode so I didn't realize THAT'S how there are 2 versions of Klingons.

whyaduck

Report this Sep. 15 2009, 11:22 am

Quote (roser5838 @ Sep. 15 2009, 10:46 am)
Quote (captbates @ Sep. 14 2009, 6:04 pm)
[quote=IKS_Okrand,Sep. 13 2009, 9:48 pm]

Cool THAT'S why there are different Klingons. ¿There is talk about them on another thread, but I haven't seen the DS9 episode so I didn't realize THAT'S how there are 2 versions of Klingons.

roser - watch the Enterprise Season 4 episode Divergence (after watching Affliction). It explains it.

roser5838

Report this Sep. 16 2009, 11:41 am

Quote (whyaduck @ Sep. 15 2009, 11:22 am)
Quote (roser5838 @ Sep. 15 2009, 10:46 am)
Quote (captbates @ Sep. 14 2009, 6:04 pm)
[quote=IKS_Okrand,Sep. 13 2009, 9:48 pm]

Cool THAT'S why there are different Klingons. ?There is talk about them on another thread, but I haven't seen the DS9 episode so I didn't realize THAT'S how there are 2 versions of Klingons.

I am reading Kobayashi Maru and as I read it, Archer is speaking to Krell and the writers bring up the events from that episode.  Then I had one of those "DUH" moments.

What are people talking about when they bring up the DS9/VOY episodes for the 2 types of Klingons?  I think it might be being discussed on another thread.

whyaduck

Report this Sep. 16 2009, 11:59 am

roser - This video at about 5 minutes into it. (TrekFan posted the url.)

"They are Klingons and it is a long story."
"What happened? Was it genetic engineering?"
"A viral mutation?"
"We do not discuss it with outsiders."
:laugh:

captbates

Report this Sep. 16 2009, 6:39 pm

Quote (roser5838 @ Sep. 15 2009, 4:41 pm)
Quote (whyaduck @ Sep. 15 2009, 11:22 am)
Quote (roser5838 @ Sep. 15 2009, 10:46 am)
Quote (captbates @ Sep. 14 2009, 6:04 pm)
[quote=IKS_Okrand,Sep. 13 2009, 9:48 pm]

I am reading Kobayashi Maru and as I read it, Archer is speaking to Krell and the writers bring up the events from that episode. ¿Then I had one of those "DUH" moments.

What are people talking about when they bring up the DS9/VOY episodes for the 2 types of Klingons? ¿I think it might be being discussed on another thread.

There are two "types" of Klingons, ones with ridges- ENT, TNG, VOY, DS9 and the movies (incl. TOS films) they are more aggressive and (should) show no fear.
TOS Klingons (and some in the ENT series) are almost Human, displaying similar emotions. We see in ENT that one of the "infected" Klingons feels fear for the first time after the experiment using Human augment DNA goes wrong. Instead of creating super soldiers for the Empire after learning how easily the Augments "took out" a Klingon crew, the experiment arguably made their race weaker.

Users browsing this forum: sonofspock1