Star Trek Uniform sewing patterns

MrsStarbuck

Report this Sep. 14 2009, 8:55 am

So I've managed to talk my sister into helping me to make some Trek dresses, and I went to the Gene Roddenberry site last night to order the sewing patterns. Now the patterns themselves were quite reasonably priced, $15 - 20.

But...get this...to post to the UK cost $75!!! WTF?

There's no way I'm paying that much to have them sent to me. So does anyone know anywhere else I can get the patterns from (and preferably a UK site if at all possible).

Or if anyone else has ever made their own uniforms, how did you do it? What did you use as a guide? Thanks.

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Sep. 14 2009, 9:49 am

I've seen a few on ebay.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Sep. 14 2009, 12:14 pm

Okay, thanks. I shall have a look.

Edgeways

Report this Sep. 14 2009, 9:29 pm

There are sewing patterns?  What site?  I'm very curious.

Edgeways

Report this Sep. 14 2009, 9:38 pm

Never mind, found it.  Cool.

Lucifer_

Report this Sep. 15 2009, 2:58 am

Are you looking for TOS patterns or something else?

The old "Star Fleet Techincal Manual" by Franz Joseph had detailed patterns for TOS female minidress uniforms, right down to the panties. If you can find that, that would be the most accurate version. You may want to leave a couple inches of extra material because that puppy is short, short, short.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Sep. 15 2009, 7:06 am

Thanks ServalanFan (and everyone else), I have seen the patterns in the technical manual, but I didn't know how easy it would be to resize them...but I guess I can have a go.

WorfsGonads

Report this Sep. 15 2009, 10:41 am

American inernational postage rates are insanely priced.  I was trying to get something that was about 500gms( about 1lb), from ebay, shipped out here to here to Australia.  It was going to cost $50 freight.  I got the same thing  from the UK for $13 freight.  That was about 2 yrs ago and I buy nothing from the US now.  Everything I can't get locally, I now get from the UK.

Lucifer_

Report this Sep. 15 2009, 5:58 pm

Quote (ServalanFan @ Sep. 15 2009, 6:59 am)
Quote (Lucifer_ @ Sep. 15 2009, 2:58 am)
Are you looking for TOS patterns or something else?

I photocopied the relevant pages from the book I borrowed from the library and made the TOS ladies uniform and male shirt.
So I got the pattern for free.
The pattern is authentic but it is a very small diagram and you have to enlarge it precisely otherwise you might end up with something 2 sizes too small :eyesroll:
It doesn't have instructions of what goes where but if you know a little about sewing you should be able to do it.
Afterall I did it (though 2 sizes too small) and I'm not a very good sewer.
Its worth a try. If I make another uniform I'll just enlarge the pattern again and lengthen it.

I demand pictures, same for you Starbuck. A location shoot would be even cooler.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Sep. 15 2009, 6:03 pm

Quote (Lucifer_ @ Sep. 14 2009, 11:58 pm)

Location shoot?

You find a way to get me on the bridge of the Enterprise then, and you can have any photos you want! :laugh:

Lucifer_

Report this Sep. 15 2009, 6:05 pm

With some time and photoshop, I can put you just about anywhere.

MrsStarbuck