The Repair station from Dead Stop

Camorite

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 1:44 pm

I am sure that this has been asked a hundred times already, but i was watching Dead Stop a few days ago and it got me thinking who built that station, and why?

After all the station seemed to have some of the same technology that we see in the 24th century trek series (IE TNG, DS9, and Voyager) in the replicators and even the AI systemt that runs the station. I even remember a co-worker that i had when the episode first aired suggesting that the Borg had built the station (i came back with at least 5 good reasons why it wasn't the Borg).

Personally i think that the station was one of those stories that they had planed on writing more about (similar to those parasites that tried to take over the Federation in TNG), or even somehow tieing it into the TCW story, but in the end either couldn't or forgot about it.

Any thought either way on this?

captbates

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 1:53 pm

This was a good episode with one big problem. Why did the repair station have to look like it came from TNG era, it would have been interesting to find out more about it, but maybe the writers weren't up to the job of explaining why an automated rogue repair station would be travelling around space.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 2:16 pm

I think some in here have suggested it was built by the Cardassians.

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 2:25 pm

Looks like something the Dominion might build.

24thcenstfan

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 2:42 pm

Just one of those interesting origins mysteries. :)

Despite its modern/futuristic veneer, it could have been created thousands of years (in the Trek Universe).  Capable of adapting to the surrounding evolving technology of those it came into contact with.  An adaptive program that allowed it to service craft with different levels of technology.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 2:46 pm

Here is some info from Memory Alpha that might shed some light about the repair station:

* Speculation that the repair station is somehow a precursor to the Borg is incorrect due to the time frame of the Borg established in other Star Trek episodes (see The Origin of the Borg for details). Nonetheless, the similarity between the two (replicating automata that abduct members of sentient species to form a collective) is notable.
* In the video game Star Trek: Legacy, there is a fairly involved history of the Borg that includes V'Ger and the repair station from "Dead Stop". This could be considered a non-canon Borg explanation.
# It is also possible that the builders of the station are the same race which constructed the Tan Ru space probe:

* If the station builders also made Tan Ru, it would explain why that probe was able to so easily meld itself with Nomad; like the repair station, it would have an ability to interface with any alien technology it encountered.

Narada

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 3:08 pm

Who built this station?

honeybee1111

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 3:17 pm

I liked that it remained a mystery. There is a long tradition of Starfleet ships running into races with far more advanced technology, evolution than them. This could include the Preservers, The folks with the whale-loving probe of doom in Voyage Home and lest we forget the Q.

The fact that we don't know is part of what makes it scary. I tend to think the repair aspect of the station is just a honeytrap so the AI can obtain new, humanoid "processors" for its brain. Perhaps it was build by another station just like it, who was built by one just like it. . . who was built by a humanoid race that was enslaved by its own computers.

grigori

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 3:19 pm

Quote (24thcenstfan @ Sep. 13 2009, 2:42 pm)
Just one of those interesting origins mysteries. :)

Despite its modern/futuristic veneer, it could have been created thousands of years (in the Trek Universe). ¿Capable of adapting to the surrounding evolving technology of those it came into contact with. ¿An adaptive program that allowed it to service craft with different levels of technology.

I agree--I don't think it was any of our familiar species.

AND I think that T'Pol was right, to a point, when she said that some cultures aren't motivated by material gain.

IF YOU RECALL--and the timing is crucial--the fake Archer didn't call Mayweather down to the Launch Bay UNTIL the scene moments after Tucker and Reed climbed up into the air vent and started snooping around.

So possibly most visitors to the repair station DO get a good deal, but someone long ago justified adding another brain to their central computer only in cases where a visitor violates the rules.

honeybee1111

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 3:28 pm

Never thought of that! I don't think the writers did either, because I on the commentary PS & MS say that the "payment" arranged is a canard and that the real payment will come later. But it is interesting to interpret is your way, because then it would add to a long list of Trip's first & second season screw ups.

A writer talking about bad design in Trek, posited that the following was the programming (in BASIC, no less) of the whale probe in Voyage Home. Talk about advanced tech:

10. GOTO Earth
20. INPUT "I can has humpback whalez?" A$
30. IF A$="no" THEN GOTO 40
40. DESTROY EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING

grigori

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 3:33 pm

Quote (honeybee1111 @ Sep. 13 2009, 3:28 pm)
10. GOTO Earth
20. INPUT "I can has humpback whalez?" A$
30. IF A$="no" THEN GOTO 40
40. DESTROY EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING

:laugh:

VGer probably WAS programmed in BASIC. Another one of those fabulous skills I acquired, completely useless now, right up there with rescuing Princess Toadstool.

grigori

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 3:33 pm

Oh, yeh, welcome back, Camorite! Where've ya been? :)

whyaduck

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 7:47 pm

Quote (grigori @ Sep. 13 2009, 3:33 pm)
Quote (honeybee1111 @ Sep. 13 2009, 3:28 pm)
10. GOTO Earth
20. INPUT "I can has humpback whalez?" A$
30. IF A$="no" THEN GOTO 40
40. DESTROY EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING

:laugh:

You want to talk about useless (and old), not only did I learn BASIC, but also COBOL, Fortran, and two versions of Assembly (EBCDIC and ASCII) and I remember Ada and Pascal.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 7:57 pm

Quote (whyaduck @ Sep. 13 2009, 7:47 pm)
Quote (grigori @ Sep. 13 2009, 3:33 pm)
Quote (honeybee1111 @ Sep. 13 2009, 3:28 pm)
10. GOTO Earth
20. INPUT "I can has humpback whalez?" A$
30. IF A$="no" THEN GOTO 40
40. DESTROY EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING

:laugh:

My programming languages are not that old, but BASIC (Q Basic), COBOL 74 & 85, Visual Basic 6.0, ASP, ASP.net, and XGEN (4th gen COBOL language). I did not get to Fortran, Assembly (EBCDIC and ASCII), or Ada and Pascal.

grigori

Report this Sep. 13 2009, 8:05 pm

Quote (BrotherofShran01 @ Sep. 13 2009, 7:57 pm)
Quote (whyaduck @ Sep. 13 2009, 7:47 pm)
Quote (grigori @ Sep. 13 2009, 3:33 pm)
Quote (honeybee1111 @ Sep. 13 2009, 3:28 pm)
10. GOTO Earth
20. INPUT "I can has humpback whalez?" A$
30. IF A$="no" THEN GOTO 40
40. DESTROY EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING

:laugh:

All of us together have to be worth SOMETHING as artifacts of a lost age...