Stargate Universe

scnj

Report this Sep. 09 2009, 8:37 pm

I did a search and didn't see anything else on this, so here's the thing. The team behind Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis are developing a new show, Stargate Universe. The premise is that a team unlocks the ninth chevron on the Stargate and it transports them to an ancient ship millions of light years from Earth and they can't get home.

It strikes me that there are not so subtle similarities to a certain show we all know and love. Here is the trailer, what do you all think? I personally think it looks more like the recent Battlestar Galactica than Voyager in tone, but maybe not in plot. Either way, I'll be checking it out. There's been a massive sci-fi gap in my tv intake since BSG ended.

WorfsGonads

Report this Sep. 09 2009, 11:45 pm

I actually thought the stargate show was compltete rip-off of ST in general.  Go to new planet, meet alien of the week, either befriend them or sort them out.  And everyone was ok at the end of the day.   Except that the gate was their starship.

scnj

Report this Sep. 09 2009, 11:51 pm

Yeah, I never really thought of that.

Lynx677

Report this Sep. 10 2009, 2:05 am

I also find a lot of things in Stargate being rip-offs from Star Trek. When I first watched Stargate a cuple of years ago, I wasn't that impressed but after watching both Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis on  re-run last year, I started to like it more. Some good stories and characters and not that much of character destruction which has ruined Star Trek for me.

I find Stargate a decent series to watch actually.

However, it can't be compared with TNG and seasons 1-3 of Voyager.

Josh_Lyman

Report this Sep. 11 2009, 1:43 am

Quote (scnj @ Sep. 08 2009, 9:37 pm)

Personally, I don't think Stargate comes anywhere near Voyager seasons 4-7.

exodus201

Report this Sep. 11 2009, 8:58 am

Seeing as how Trek has been around since the 60's and is iconic, is it real any surprise that other sci-fi space based shows are compared to it? ?Look at all the cop or hospital dramas on TV that borrow heavily from shows like "St. Elsewhere", "Trapper John M.D." or "Hill Street Blues" or how "Fringe" borrows from the "X-Files". ?It just shows how much Trek has become cemented in our culture and is paid homage too by being a template to many other shows.

Isn't imitation supposed to be the highest form of flattery?
There would be no BSG if it wasn't for Star Wars or space Marines like in "Stargate" if it wasn't for "Aliens".

WorfsGonads

Report this Sep. 11 2009, 10:39 am

Quote (exodus201 @ Sep. 10 2009, 9:58 am)

Isn't imitation supposed to be the highest form of flattery?

Who is better the innovator or the imitator.
ST for me.

exodus201

Report this Sep. 11 2009, 10:53 am

Quote (WorfsGonads @ Sep. 11 2009, 10:39 am)
Quote (exodus201 @ Sep. 10 2009, 9:58 am)

Isn't imitation supposed to be the highest form of flattery?

Who is better the innovator or the imitator.
ST for me.

Good question.
I can't really answer because I like both.
I like to see how each show stands up on it's own merits.

chagraway

Report this Sep. 11 2009, 11:37 am

I really like Stargate and I don't think it to be any form of rippe off, it is about star traveling. If I talk about a pen or a crayon ar'nt thay both used for the same purpose? :)

Lynx677

Report this Sep. 11 2009, 2:05 pm

Stargate is watchable but Star Trek is much better.

DrunkOnRomulanAle

Report this Sep. 11 2009, 2:55 pm

I've seen the original movie and a few episodes of stargate. I got the impression that it was more fantasy that sci-fi. I guess the egyptian originated from other galaxies or some crap like that. Although it's debatable, to me it seems too much like fantasy, which is why i don't like it.

Dbear1

Report this Sep. 11 2009, 5:23 pm

As someone that likes both franchises, I really do not consider it a rip off.  It was simply a show in the same genera.  Pretty much any space based SCFI you are going to see someone say it was either based on Star Trek or Star Wars or both.

Sometimes it becomes almost silly, I remember reading that Lucus sued the creators of the original BSG because of how they did their space battles, he lost once it came out he had based his battles scenes on a WWII movie called 12 o¿clock high.

If you look close enough at any show, you can say it is a rip off from a previous show.  So I really do not worry about it, unless it is ridiculous, which I do not consider this example as.  I am much more concerned about if I find the show entertaining and I like the characters.

exodus201

Report this Sep. 11 2009, 5:55 pm

Quote (Dbear1 @ Sep. 11 2009, 5:23 pm)
As someone that likes both franchises, I really do not consider it a rip off. ¿It was simply a show in the same genera. ¿Pretty much any space based SCFI you are going to see someone say it was either based on Star Trek or Star Wars or both. ¿

Sometimes it becomes almost silly, I remember reading that Lucus sued the creators of the original BSG because of how they did their space battles, he lost once it came out he had based his battles scenes on a WWII movie called 12 o?clock high.

If you look close enough at any show, you can say it is a rip off from a previous show. ¿So I really do not worry about it, unless it is ridiculous, which I do not consider this example as. ¿I am much more concerned about if I find the show entertaining and I like the characters.

Well said.

WedgeBob

Report this Sep. 11 2009, 7:01 pm

Right, I have yet to warm up to either the Stargate or the BSG franchises myself, even tho those were the two most legit competition to ST, I still have yet to be convinced that they are as good, if not better.

captbates

Report this Sep. 12 2009, 9:42 am

Here's the Full Trailer SGU

It's hard to argue against Stargate NOT "ripping off" Trek. Just look at the show in general, a team which comprises of a group travelling to different planets every week, who could come straight from any Trek show. We have The Commander, the Scientist/engineer, the alien/tough guy, the "hot chick" and the Dr/alien expert. Even the idea of the Gate itself and the Goa'uld are lifted striaght from the episodes contaigon and conspiracy
Add to that the numerous references to Trek including Character names, the use of Trek actors, and even episode "ideas" we have already seen in Trek, and it can't be denied that Stargate IS basically Trek set in our time, Especially now that they have proper access to spaceships.

To the OP-
I can remember when Voyager was being promoted that everyone was saying how similar the idea was to Battlestar because they were trying to find Earth. It turned out nothing like the original show, and "looking for Earth" and "Trying to get home to Earth" may sound like the same idea, but in context are totally different.
So I don't consider Universe a VOY ripoff, there's only so many ideas they can play out, either we go out and explore space/planets, or have a "Base" in some distant part of space, or somehow end up lost trying to make our way back home. Sure, these have all be done in Trek but apart from "a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away"  there's not much else to go on, for now.