Everyones thoughts on Khan for ST XII

Blockman

Report this Sep. 07 2009, 10:35 pm

I've seen some peoples thoughts scattered around in a few various threads, but I was looking for what EVERYONE on the Star Trek Boards thinks about the subject. I'm not just talking about a simple Yes or No either.

I'm eager to see a well collected, thorough discussion of what everybody on the Star Trek Boards thinks!

Don't anyone cop out now :)

janeway54

Report this Sep. 07 2009, 10:50 pm

Not no, But Hell NO! Both he and the acter playing him are dead. Or didn't you know that yet.

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Sep. 07 2009, 11:03 pm

They definitely need a new interesting villain and not Khan for TREK XII

Year_Of_Hell

Report this Sep. 07 2009, 11:39 pm

Well he would be alive, just floating around on the Botany Bay at the time of XII.
They would need an excellent script, and a great actor to pull it off.
But it would be better if they could come up with their own original character.

Captain_Storma

Report this Sep. 08 2009, 4:38 am

I think they will do it, here is why:

- Orci and Kurtzmann often refered to BATMAN GEGINS when they compared their STAR TREK to the original franchise
- THE DARK KNIGHT had a terrific BO performance, something that Paramount will want to mirror for the TREK sequel
- Khan is a fan-favorite
- Khan is Kirk's Joker

They tried to jump on the wagon of BATMAN BEGINS and CASINO ROYALE with XI, I really think that they will continue that pattern.

WkdYngMan

Report this Sep. 08 2009, 5:04 am

If he's done right maybe (meaning he would need to quote classic literature throughout the film,) but I wouldn't want him as the main focus of the film funnily enough.

Of course this also means scouting out Khan's posse at a Male Revue somewhere.  I'd like to see the casting director in that situation.

SaturnsRings

Report this Sep. 08 2009, 5:45 am

Star Trek XI proved you can successfully recast the main characters so I am sure Khan can be recast successfully too. So if that happens and the story is good I am open to it.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Sep. 08 2009, 6:06 am

Quote (Captain_Storma @ Sep. 07 2009, 10:38 am)
I think they will do it, here is why:

- Khan is a fan-favorite
- Khan is Kirk's Joker

^ This post makes sense to me.

If I had it my way, I'd much rather they came up with someone new, rather than just keep retreading old ground.

But I agree that TDK could now become the template for all franchise restarts. And look what happened there...people were saying "you can't recast The Joker...Jack Nicholson will always be The Joker"...and then Heath came along and blew Jack out of the water IMO.

If they DO go with Khan again, I think the 'right' person could give an amazing performance...and I guess it's kind of safe territory for Abrahams...he KNOWS that Khan works as a villain, he KNOWS that the fans already love him (Khan, not Abrahams...he he).

So, personally...no, I don't want them to do Khan.

Realistically...I can totally see it happening, and I would be receptive to it as long as it's done right (please don't ditch the Moby Dick references...they're what make it so epic! )

Vger23

Report this Sep. 08 2009, 9:46 am

I would prefer they not use Khan, the Borg, or any more cameo / special guest appearances in the next Trek film. They have successfully established an audience with this first film. Now they need to do something original and unique that stands on its own.

Skyjammer0

Report this Sep. 08 2009, 9:53 am

I think he may just do it. He has already referenced the character in Fringe (see it?).

It could be done, but I would hope that they don't go dark like The Dark Knight did. That has no place in the ST universe.

I would prefer that they didn't use that character, however. I really felt cheated with ST:TMP. I felt as if they had just re-hashed as TOS story, "The Changling."

Funny though, didn't feel that way about TWOK. Maybe it was because they used the actual character rather than a re-hash of the episode.

Be that as it may, remember that JJ is targeting a new audience. Who doesn't know the famouse line in TWOK" "Khhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn!" Maybe the newbies would be interested in seeing who this Khhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn! is.

I do miss the Klingons however.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Sep. 08 2009, 9:56 am

Quote (Skyjammer0 @ Sep. 07 2009, 3:53 pm)

If they do it, then Chris Pine just has to say this line!

:laugh:

Skyjammer0

Report this Sep. 08 2009, 9:57 am

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Sep. 08 2009, 9:56 am)
Quote (Skyjammer0 @ Sep. 07 2009, 3:53 pm)

If they do it, then Chris Pine just has to say this line!

:laugh:

That would rock. And they gotta get in the line "He's dead Jim!"

DarthRage

Report this Sep. 08 2009, 11:14 am

With Khan, we're basically looking at a remake of Space Seed, correct? Why? Why retread an old epsiode? Everyone assumes it would be a TWOK take, but that occured years after their first encounter. And in the new timeline, we haven't met Khan yet. So if we see Khan, he will be in cryostasis on the Botany Bay. Kirk never screamed "Khan!" No ear infestation. No Capt. Terrell. No Carol or David Marcus. Let's go with something new please.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Sep. 08 2009, 11:24 am

Quote (DarthRage @ Sep. 07 2009, 5:14 pm)

Why does it have to be a remake? Why can't they just take the character and the basic concept and do something new with it.

I hear what you're saying, and I do agree that the best way would be to have a completely new character.

All I'm saying is that, if they HAVE to go with Khan (and there's a really good chance they will) I think, as long as it's handled the right way, then it doesn't have to be as bad as people are making out.

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Sep. 08 2009, 11:44 am

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Sep. 08 2009, 8:24 am)

I think TREK would be better off with a new good quality villain, anything else IMO  will hurt TREK.

You are right provided it's handled the right way. I seriously doubt they understand the passion of Khan.

Users browsing this forum: alfamav