S T A R T R E K

ThankYouGeneR

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 5:46 pm

S T A R T R E K
Intolerance: unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs

In the beginning there was supersition to explain what seemed beyond human understanding. One or some 'decided' there was an explanation of the unknown and it became 'fact' because it made perfect sense to them/him/her. Many or most humans believed the explanation to be 'fact' too. It made perfect sense to them. And all was sorta peaceful.

Except... then another human(s) had a different take on it and these other humans felt deeply that their different explanation was 'correct'. These humans supported the 'new' view as 'fact'. And there was conflict.

As the number of humans grew so did the number of 'different' absolutely irrefutable truenesses for explainations. And conflict became a fight to get everybody to see the 'facts' the 'right' way. Oh my.

Then evolved the Si-fi writers who penned great writings on "what if...".

Myraid people really really took to the Si-fi what-ifs and human imagination just exploded with energy. Lots of people began to 'decide' that what made perfect sense to them was 'fact', and there were more conflicting 'facts' than anyone could shake a stick at.

Once again many humans decided their 'facts' should be everybodys 'facts', because they were 'facts' after all, and the conflict became anger and struggle.

Down the road a guy, who liked writing and wanted to make television shows, had a thought: "What if, in the future, we learned that these differences are fine to have but they don't need to cause anger and stuggle and unkindness anymore?"

And he wrote a television script.

Through many rewrites, a pilot change, cast changes, and much talking and determination on his part, there became "S T A R T R E K". A "WagonTrain" like show set in space. And it was good.

A lot humans watched the show but not enough to support the sponsors who were taking a chance financing this 'new kind of show', and "S T A R T R E K" was cancelled. Oh my.

The fans of this show, who were not numerous enough to keep sponsors from losing big bucks, became united with the effort of "The Man" who stayed determined, and kept promoting the show idea by taking the issue directly to them.

"The Man" kept promoting, the fans wrote myriad letters and ferverently watched the reruns, thereby letting sponsors know the show might earn income rather than watch their 'investments' go down the toilets. And the viewers grew. And grew.

"The Man" and the fans showed there would be enough support (viewers) now that if a new television show related to "S T A R T R E K was created, the sponsors would not be flushing money down their toilets. And it was good. At first.

When the fans found out the captain, crew, and spaceship were going to be "changed" for the 'new' show, there was conflict. Oh my.

But "The Man" went to the fans and assured them it would be okay. And though some fans went kicking and screaming heresy, eventually most agreed the new StarTrek:Next Generation was good. And there was mostly peace. It lived a long life with only minor grumblings about continuity and holodeck water being real outside the holodeck and such. And many many more humans became fans of StarTrek. And it was good.

Now the sponsors were proud that a StarTrek series could earn a living for the hundreds of people it took to make a 'series'. So when 'another' StarTrek show was proposed, they knew the fans would support it and agreed that it was okay to create 'another' StarTrek series. But some of the fans began to grumble that it MUST conform to their 'facts' about the StarTrek universe. It must follow 'canon'. And there was conflict. Oh my.

However, many more fans supported the new show than left the fan base. And some went kicking and screaming but eventually accepted the new series. And it was good.

And we had another StarTrek series, and movies, and many many more fans, some of whom were inspired to actually go to the stars, and/or become tolerant of differences, and/or work in entertainment and make more StarTrek series and/or write books. And it was mostly good.

And "The Man" died.

And the fans began to disagree. Some fans knew they had the 'facts', tollerating nothing but their own irrifutible 'facts', other fans had their own 'facts' that were irrifutable. And there was conflict.

And 'factions' formed. And there was anger. "The Man" was not there any longer to assure the fans that it would be okay.

Time went by. Technology soared. Factions polorized. DVDs were watched and StarTrek was kept alive.

And some StarTrek fans in the entertainment industry began writing new movie scripts. Others wrote new series scripts. Other fans kept watching DVDs and arguing over the 'facts'.

Time went by some more, and there came a general change in the general populas regarding sci-fi entertainment. More humans began to "get" it. More humans began to enjoy it. And more began to go to the theaters to see it. And sci-fi tv shows were gathering large numbers of people who liked and watched them. Movies too. And it was good.

So, as time goes, fans who are now writers, producers, costumers, techno-wizards, directors, musicians, and all manner of grown up things began to feel the urge that the time was soon coming when THEY could offer THEIR gifts to the StarTrek universe and humans would respond well and money wouldn't go down toilets. And these humans started gathering together. Slowly at first, then with growing confidence. So when the 'idea' was finally formed, and writers began to write, and stories began to fall in place, and excitement started to make lots of other things fall into place, a basic plan took shape. Everything was in place for another chapter in StarTrek. And they felt it was good.

However, without "The Man" to tell the fans it was okay, there came chaos.

Factions became more polorized. Fans became fearful. 'Facts' became absolutes. And tolerance went down the toilets. Oh my.

And the movie went forward, attempting to show the fans that they were greatly respected, and that their StarTrek history would be reverenced enough to use a 'canon' accepted view of an alternate universe, making an heroic effort to use as a guide those great actors who had gone before, using amazing technology that "The Man" wouldn't have turned away from if it had been available for him.

And war ensued, forgetting that "The Man" himself had the thought: "What if, in the future, we learned that these differences are fine to have but they don't need to cause anger and stuggle and unkindness anymore?"Oh my.

grigori

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 10:34 pm

Quote (ThankYouGeneR @ Sep. 02 2009, 5:46 pm)

...using amazing technology that "The Man" couldn't have turned away from if it had been available for him.

Nice take, TYGene.

I'm also in the camp that anyone making Trek to entertain me ought to use all the CGI beeps and whistles at their state-of-the-art disposal to entertain me--it's what you DO in sci-fi! cutting edge.

"The Man" would never have limited himself to a decades-old view of future tech just for the sake of some minor canon factoids.

The spirit of the law always trumps the letter of the law.

Unregistered_Guest

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 10:55 pm

These boards are no place for such colorful language.

GalaxyClass14

Report this Sep. 03 2009, 12:28 am

Word up man

ThankYouGeneR

Report this Sep. 03 2009, 1:11 pm

Quote (starbase63 @ Sep. 02 2009, 10:52 am)
Quote (grigori @ Sep. 02 2009, 10:34 pm)
Quote (ThankYouGeneR @ Sep. 02 2009, 5:46 pm)

Nice take, TYGene.

The spirit of the law always trumps the letter of the law.

Using state of the art effects has always been something the movies tried to keep up with...

But in the old days, the effects were there to enhance the story and it's believability...effects should never BE the story, or worse, overshadow the story.

THAT is what makes good sci fi.

:logical:

ohhhhh, Starbase 63, sometimes I really like BIG special fx in my sci-fi. Sometimes THAT is what 'makes' good sci-fi for me.

Other times I like less or maybe none.

I'm hoping what I'm trying to convey here is that 'what makes things best' are personal, like art and food and archecture and pets and literature and colors and hair styles and music and clothing styles and entertainment and life styles and furniture and spirituallity and personal computers and cars and deserts and mountains and shoes and matteresses and camping and, etc.

I really support another's view on what makes something right to them. I really do. Often I view sci-fi, including StarTrek, in the same way as another person.

Sometimes my personal 'right way to do' StarTrek is quite similar, but just a little different.

Sometimes another person's 'right way to do' StarTrek is not at all for me. But even though it is not at all for me, I do "get" their view. I understand THAT makes the very best/worst/boring/okay StarTrek for them. And I fully support them having their view. It just might not be what makes it best for me.

And I certainly know that 'my' 'right way to do' StarTrek is not absolute or correct and irrifutable. Obviously. It's just personal. Just the way "I" like it. And "my" way is not THE way so I support everybody preferring StarTrek exactly the way they feel/know, & for their "own" reasons and conclusions and logic.

The_Rack_of_TPol

Report this Sep. 03 2009, 1:57 pm

What??

Cynic321

Report this Sep. 03 2009, 3:01 pm

And it was good.

There's the rub. Star Trek the series was good.

Star Trek (2009) was good enough.

ThankYouGeneR

Report this Sep. 03 2009, 3:54 pm

to:

I fully support you in your logic.

It is not for me, but I "get" it

ThankYouGeneR

Report this Sep. 03 2009, 4:47 pm

I would not ever presume the way I "enjoy" StarTrek is THE absolute, correct, or irrifutable way. It is just personal.

asian_marine

Report this Sep. 03 2009, 7:10 pm

you know most people don't read really long post like that right?

grigori

Report this Sep. 04 2009, 1:24 pm

I read it. :O :laugh:

ThankYouGeneR

Report this Sep. 04 2009, 2:30 pm

Quote (grigori @ Sep. 03 2009, 2:24 pm)
I read it. :O :laugh:

Oh, grigori! Thanks!

ThankYouGeneR

Report this Sep. 04 2009, 7:35 pm

Quote (starbase63 @ Sep. 03 2009, 5:29 pm)
Quote (ThankYouGeneR @ Sep. 03 2009, 4:47 pm)

[]

You went on so much about Roddenberry in your initial post, I thought you liked things Roddenberry's way.

If I was mistaken, I apologize.

And just for the record? Star Trek is two words. ;)

:logical:

<smiling>You are kind.

I'm sure it's not a mistake at all but my general inability to clearly state what I'm thinking! And I do have what might be considered a mutant power of typing a fellow to death.

Attempting to clarify..... myself <bigger smile>

I am deeply grateful to GeneRoddenberry. He was a person who wanted to write tv shows. I adore tv. He came up with a brilliant & meaningful idea for one where, sometime in the future, earth would be a place of full equality for humans, tolerance for each human's beliefs, and war hunger crime had fallen away. This idea went straight to the core of my being. "Just imagine!" I said to myself. And the man was persistent in his quest and valued me, as a fan of his show & idea.

One time I got mad at him, REFUSING to watch Star Trek for three weeks because he made Spock stop being happy on the spore planet!

Time went by, I enjoyed some episodes, was bored with some episodes, internalized some episodes as my personal creed. Thru all of this the core belief that "he gave me"... equality,tolerance, peace... was unshaken and solidified.

I knew that Star Trek was a tv show. It had budgets, time constraints, needed to earn money to continue. Compromises had to be made for myriad reasons by many many people. Nobody could get everything they wanted in exactly the way they wanted all the time.

I preferred shows in spaceships, spacestations, and with spacegadgets. Just me. <laughing at myself> I know other fans had different things that appealed. Through it all though remained the core belief in ...equality, tolerance, peace...

Now I believe I've come to my point. StarTrek for me (see how I've changed how I spell it now), and for others, is not a tv show or a movie or a book or an animated series anymore. It does not belong to a single person anymore. It is a phylosophy of life.

The shell of it IS the tv shows and movies and books. I like mine served up with mindblowing effects, music, spaceships, spacestations, spacegadgets. Other people have settled on various other ways to have it served to them. I will not get it the way I want it all the time. I, also, must let others get what they want some of the time. But through all of this the core remains the same and remains strong ...equality, tolerance, peace... and because of my core belief that GeneRoddenberry gave to me ...equality, tolerance, peace... I can not presume to know what motivates each person in the choices they make about StarTrek. But I can stand fast in the "idea" GeneRoddenberry gave and developed in me. Because of this it is easy for me to be comfortable with each person's choice (or belief) in how the shows are/should be made. Though I am often saddened when someone is not tolerent of mine.

Thank you Gene Roddenberry. You are a hero to me.

anothercrewman

Report this Sep. 19 2009, 2:23 pm

Hey. Are you a writer?:) These posts are really good. You believe in the soul of Trek don't you. I think you know something about how films are made too don't you. :cool: I liked what you wrote here.

galaxyquest009

Report this Sep. 22 2009, 3:41 pm

I could wax rapsodically about such things :) But time to earn a living. Wouldn't mind coming back and talking more. I'll bring something to snak on.