A Night In Sickbay

sonofspock1

Report this Sep. 01 2009, 4:45 pm

I watched it last night, as my "Great Work" continues.

I could never really take to it, it was always an episode I think I should love, but I never could. It just never fully gelled for me.

There are things in it I really like, I kinda get the impression that Hoshi runs the Night Shift on the Bridge; the Kretassan homeworld (though we only get one shot of it) is pretty good. Lots of Phlox.  :D

And to be honest, I think Scott Bakula is a pretty good actor, but I think his "angry" acting over Porthos is way over the top.

Sooooo.... Evereyone else?

:rookie:

daniliescu

Report this Sep. 01 2009, 5:31 pm

it was alot better then i thought it would be, had some comic relief (i think there was a bat at one point)

sonofspock1

Report this Sep. 01 2009, 5:38 pm

^ I laughed so hard when Hoshi just caught it, no hastle at all! :laugh:

grigori

Report this Sep. 01 2009, 5:51 pm

Quote (sonofspock1 @ Sep. 01 2009, 4:45 pm)

SonofSpock, I think you hit on PRECISELY why most of us aren't completely comfortable with this episode.

We're always stuck saying, "It had some great moments, BUT..." !!!

The supposed "sexual tension" aspect was awkward and forced, and there was plenty of pathos in the Porthos story--I didn't mind seeing Archer sad or passionate, but you're right, getting angry (especially at Phlox) went a little far, even though I GET that they were trying to depict a guy who's been going longer and longer without sleep.

Having said, I WAS emotionally jerked around by the whole Porthos story: oh, no, here's another one of those "hard lessons" they're gonna learn about space--this one about how stupid it was for Archer to take his dog down to the planet--and Porthos is gonna pay the price! I would've cried unabashedly. And I have NEVER been unabashed.

I loved Hoshi and the bat, too, great comic moment and timing. And those pain-in-the-a$$ Kreetassans just keep coming back to haunt Archer, and he has to keep bending over backwards in the interest of diplomacy (and pet responsibility), although this time apparently an Archer who needs sleep has an obstinate side.

And Phlox's insensitivity about the bond between pets and their owners was prickly, but a necessary reminder that Phlox, too, is "alien".

Dbear1

Report this Sep. 01 2009, 6:03 pm

I think SonofSpock hit the nail on the head on this episode.  It was funny in places and had some good moments, but it also had some awkward moments do to the storyline being a bit off.

The whole Archer/TPol thing came across as forced and really not that believable IMO, and Archer seemed a bit too angry at times about the whole situation, upset is understandable, but it seemed to be over the top at times.

On the good side I agree the whole bat scene was very funny, plus I got a good chuckle out of the Archer and TPol scene on the treadmills.

On the whole I rate this as an ok episode, but not one of my favorites by any means.

ENT567

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 4:32 am

Quote (sonofspock1 @ Posted: Sep. 01 2009, 4:45 pm)
I watched it last night, as my "Great Work" continues.
There are things in it I really like, I kinda get the impression that Hoshi runs the Night Shift on the Bridge; the Kretassan homeworld (though we only get one shot of it) is pretty good. Lots of Phlox. I think my main gripe is the Archer/T'Pol thing, which I never bought for a second. I mean, Sisko and Kira had a lot of friction in the early years, but I suppose Sisko was still grieving after Jennifer, and then there was Kassidy...

Since this is one of my Top 10 episodes, I have to disagree with you here. :)

There is actually no "Archer/T'Pol thing". It's just another tongue in cheek joke like they did in "Shadows of P'Jem".

I think that type of humor doesn't perfectly sit with every one. While I find that writing very witty - there's a mass of emotions seeking a way out, with a whole wide range of situations from tragic to comedic. Really resonates with me. All looks VERY believable becasue the situations and emotions are recognizable even under these sci-fi masks - that's what makes the characters natural and alive. The actors perfectly grasped that and brought to the screen very aptly. I very much like to watch human beings there, not just characters of a sci-fi tv show.
Well, that's the art to my taste, what else can I say :D

You should have seen my anger when I thought veterinarians were not caring enough for my dog's pains when I once had to bring my dog to a clinic after an accident!
In fact, Bakula's anger and worrying look very very true - I've been in a similar situation.

roser5838

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 1:36 pm

This is completely one of my favorite ENT.  I completely agree with everything ENT567 says.  I love how frustrated Archer gets at the Kresstassans.  I love that he cares so much about his dog.  I know I have thought the same thing, that I want my "subservient quadrapeds" (as Phlox would call them) to get as much outside time as they can.  If there is something that is sacred, it should be marked such and not just assumed that someone would know about it!

I thought it was "funny" that Phlox kept telling him it will be a couple of hours before he knows something.  That is incredibly difficult and in the real world it is often a couple of days before the tests come in - and everything is magnified.

I like the scene where Archer and T'Pol are on the treadmill and T'Pol turns up the speed so Archer does and at the end of it T'Pol gets off and Archer asks what she's doing and she says I obviously can't keep up with you.

Plus the whole "tension" thing with T'Pol, I think about When Harry Met Sally, when I think of the T'Pol/Archer thing in this episode.

All in all I really like this episode.  When I first came on this board I put that this was one of my favorite episodes and people thought I was faking it!

grigori

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 5:33 pm

Quote (roser5838 @ Sep. 02 2009, 1:36 pm)
¿I love how frustrated Archer gets at the Kresstassans. ¿I love that he cares so much about his dog. ¿I know I have thought the same thing, that I want my "subservient quadrapeds" (as Phlox would call them) to get as much outside time as they can. ¿

It's a funny episode that way: because I admit that the parts I like, I really LOVE. As a pet owner myself--a single person "partnered" only with that pet--I enjoyed all of our deepest, darkest pet owner secret emotions laid bare, and so realistically.

And the actors PLAYED the humorous bits well, it's just that in retrospect some of it seems a little out of character.

It was good that T'Pol "forgave" Archer for his baser distractions, and that put an end to THAT.

whyaduck

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 7:41 pm

This is one of my favorite episodes. I love it.

+ Though Archer was wrong to bring Porthos down to the planet, his reaction to Porthos' illness is very real. Porthos was more than just a dog to Archer. He was his friend. He was his sounding board. He was unconditional love. He was part of Archer's normal life.

+ Archer and T'Pol. I thought the whole business was funny. Archer never would have had those thoughts about T'Pol if Phlox hadn't put the idea into a a very tired and emotionally upset Archer's head.

+ Phlox's not really understanding Archer's feelings for Porthos reminded us that no matter how smart Phlox is, he still has things to learn about humans. I think he eventually gets Archer and Porthos as the series goes on.

+ T'Pol's comment to Archer at the end and his reaction to it were perfect.

+ The whole episode had a strange feel to it that fit the concept of someone being awake all night.

grigori

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 8:18 pm

Quote (whyaduck @ Sep. 02 2009, 7:41 pm)

Good you mentioned that, duck, because that's absolutely right: as strange as the episode was, I DID get that the disjointed atmosphere was intentional, and very much consistent with being awake when you should be asleep while stressful events are taking place.

Middleman

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 8:58 pm

Sorry, but I thought that the episode made Archer look pathetic and it was an embarrassment to Bakula as actor. I'm surprised that Scott didn't beat Bragga's head in with a baseball bat after the episode aired. (The New York way of settling disputes)

grigori

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 9:00 pm

congrats Mm you're at 2222 posts just now

whyaduck

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 9:17 pm

Quote (Middleman @ Sep. 02 2009, 8:58 pm)

Just shows how different people perceive the same thing. I saw nothing embarrassing about it. Knowing your opinion of an Archer/T'Pol pairing from previous posts, I think part of your perception was the Archer/T'pol storyline.

(I almost posted the Archer/T'Pol kiss picture here, but I didn't want to start steam flowing out of your ears.  :laugh: )

roser5838

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 10:04 pm

Duck - WOW nice photo montage.

The strange disjointed feeling also seemed to be the sleep depravation AND the stress.  The stress of someone you love being in danger because you did something you knew you shouldn't (I think Archer knew he shouldn't take Porthos, but wanted him to get some ffresh air - so not only is Porthos sick, but he is sick because Archer took him to the planet - heck Ihave felt guilty for much less than that with my dogs!  Then there is the stress of having to apologize for eating in front of someone and then realizing that your dog peed on a tree - big whoop.  THEN having to perform some silly ritual for an unreasonable group of aliens AND having to deal with T'Pol reminding you how wrong you were AND Phlox not really understanding the relationship with your dog!  It would be enough to make me very upset!  Unreasonably upset probably!  Plus you keep being woken up by Phlox' toenails, the screech of his bat, the alarms going off, etc.

I liked the storyline and I liked the acting and there were some fairly funny lines!

whyaduck