The Greatest Monologue in Star Trek History

vadic

Report this Sep. 01 2009, 12:12 pm

Need I say more?

("We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted that in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this. Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human")

What's your take?

Vol_

Report this Sep. 01 2009, 1:41 pm

Always gets a few tears from me.

tribblenator999

Report this Sep. 01 2009, 2:53 pm

Nothing beats that. Sure beats Picards monologue for data in nemesis. LOL

Kdbtrekkin

Report this Sep. 01 2009, 6:23 pm

Quote (Vol_ @ Sep. 01 2009, 1:41 pm)
Always gets a few tears from me.

yeah.

another good one is Picards speech to Wesley in his ready room, for him to tell the truth

IKS_Okrand

Report this Sep. 01 2009, 9:41 pm

I totally agree that STII has the best dialogue. However, there are other gems that always stand out to me:

Revenge is a dish that is best served cold. - Khan (probably my favorite ST movie line)

Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. - Spock (my 2nd favorite ST movie line)

Vger23

Report this Sep. 01 2009, 10:15 pm

I like Kirk's intercom address to the crew about the mission of the Enterprise and the need for patience and fearlesness in dealing with the unknown in "Corbomite Manuver."

I also like Kirk's plea to his senior staff in "Return to Tomorrow"

Oh, and Kirk's speech about "one man with a vision" in "Mirror, Mirror."

Those "monologues" are, in my opinion, some of the best Star Trek in any incarnation has to offer.

Lucifer_

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 10:05 pm

Measure of a man has good lines, same with The Drumhead, both from Captain Picard.

Worst monologue goes to Harry Kim in "Endgame."

Zorf24

Report this Sep. 02 2009, 10:44 pm

:cry:

OtakuJo

Report this Sep. 03 2009, 10:44 am

I still think Silarin Prin's monologue in "The Darkness and the Light" takes my top #1 vote for best written and most interesting...

...That I've seen thus far, of course. There may be another. But that whole "creature born of the darkness" thing could have fitted perfectly into a creepy novel or something. Luv it.

Second... Possibly Picards proclamation in "Menage a Troi". ~ I think I'm getting the right episode?? someone correct me if I'm wrong because I don't actually have this one on DVD.

Vol_

Report this Sep. 03 2009, 1:35 pm

whyaduck

Report this Sep. 03 2009, 4:52 pm

I don't know if this is the greatest, but I like it.

"Up until about 100 years ago, there was one question that burned in every human, that made us study the stars and dream of traveling to them. Are we alone? Our generation is privileged to know the answer to that question. We are all explorers driven to know what's over the horizon, what's beyond our own shores. And yet the more I've experienced, the more I've learned that no matter how far we travel, or how fast we get there, the most profound discoveries are not necessarily beyond that next star. They're within us, woven into the threads that bind us, all of us, to each other. The final frontier begins in this hall. Let's explore it together."

Kdbtrekkin

Report this Sep. 24 2009, 12:26 am

Quote (whyaduck @ Sep. 03 2009, 4:52 pm)
I don't know if this is the greatest, but I like it.

that was a good line.

Spot_Data's_Cat

Report this Dec. 27 2010, 4:37 pm

Yes, Data's memorial speech made me cry.

"Life forms...you tiny little life forms...you precious little life forms...where are you?" -Data

HaventGotALife

Report this Dec. 27 2010, 5:02 pm

Quote: Vol_ @ Sep. 03 2009, 1:35 pm

>I love the scene in ST II when Kahn is getting ready to detonate Genesis, sticky blood dripping down his face and saying From Hell's heart I stab at thee .
Go read Moby Dick. It's Melville.

"Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, though tied to thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"

Its stories are about the depth and complexity of human interaction and relationships. It studies us and asks us to look within ourselves, to relate, to ask how would we respond to all that is in their world?

Camorite

Report this Dec. 27 2010, 9:56 pm

though i liked that speach archer made in Terra Prime, i also think that Kirks little speach at the end of Star trek 6 was a good one to.

"What i Hate more then anything else is someone that thinks that they know everything. That must mean that I really hate myself", "Freedom is the right of all setient beings!" (Optimus Prime: Transformers), "That's on small step for man, one giant leap for mankind!" Neil Armstrong 8-5-30 to 8-25-12