Seven didn't replace Kes

JOYOFVGR

Report this Aug. 24 2009, 7:43 pm

Naoimi Wildman did....

Kes should have been brought on board as a child, with Neelix being her father figure. That romance was always creepy and should have been more father daughter. I think TPTB realized it and that's why they set Neelix up as Naiomi's Godfather and caretaker.

stovokor2000

Report this Aug. 24 2009, 11:11 pm

Quote (JOYOFVGR @ Aug. 24 2009, 7:43 pm)
Naoimi Wildman did....

Sorry but........No.

Naomi Wildman was introduced in season 2.

Kes left in season 4 and 7 came on board at about the same time.

7 did replace Kes.

Admiral_JTK

Report this Aug. 24 2009, 11:16 pm

and thank goodness
and Scarlett Pomers is pretty hot now

Cherry_On_Top

POSTS: 2039

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 1:51 am

Quote (JOYOFVGR @ Aug. 24 2009, 7:43 pm)
Naoimi Wildman did....

that is a good theory.  I like it.

Lynx677

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 2:22 am

It's correct that Seven didn't actually replace Kes.

The decision to add Seven to the cast came long before they decided to dump Kes. harry Kim was the one who were supposed to "leave" but when a silly poll among the staff of a glossy magazine presented actor Garret Wang as one of "the 50 most handsome", those in charge changed their minds about dumping Harry and dumped Kes instead.

However, Greskrendtregk didn't replace Kes either.

She was introduced in season 2 when Kes was still on the ship. As for the theory about Kes being brought on board as a child, it's just a theory (or a suggestion). I don't think that they ever did plan that scenario.

I didn't find the relation between Kes and Neelix that creepy, I mean Kes was something between 18 and 25 compared to a human and Neelix was 30-35. I've seen worse than that in the entertaining world.

I did find Neelix's interest for Greskrendtregk (or was it her mother Samantha?) more disturbing in that matter.

Cherry_On_Top

POSTS: 2039

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 2:41 am

Greskrendtregk ??????/

sure she was born in season 2.  But she really didn't start interacting with the crew till after kes left.  I think the theory holds very well.  Kes was definitly the character who was new to space and trying to understand life on a starship.  How did Naomi Wildman not later fill that role?

stovokor2000

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 3:18 am

Quote (Lynx677 @ Aug. 25 2009, 2:22 am)
It's correct that Seven didn't actually replace Kes.

It is correct that 7 replaced Kes.

The decision to add Seven to the cast came long before they decided to dump anyone.

But adding 7 ment someone had to go.Its irrelevant that they first wanted to drop Harry Kim because they changed their minds.

"Cause and effect"

In the end the adding of 7 to the cast had an effect and that was to get rid of Kes.

7 replaced Kes.

Unregistered_Guest

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 3:26 am

And thank the lord they did.  I can't even imagine what it would have been like to endure that dreadful character for another 4 years.

EbonyCHAOS

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 5:40 am

I remember when word came out that Lien was leaving the show. The official word at the time (according to TV Guide) was that the writers were finding it difficult to write for her character. So she was written off and a Borg crewmember was added because they felt it offered them limitless story possibilities.

exodus201

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 10:08 am

I found it ironic that as young as Scarlett Palmers was, she had better acting ability than Jen Lien who was a grown woman.  I don't feel Lien ever truly understood the motivation behind her chatacter and I think that's why Kes often felt flat and one dimensional.

Josh_Lyman

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 10:10 am

Jeri Ryan replaced Jennifer Lien.

Lynx677

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 10:41 am

Quote (Unregistered_Guest @ Aug. 24 2009, 4:26 am)
And thank the lord they did. ¿I can't even imagine what it would have been like to endure that dreadful character for another 4 years.

Oh, here we have another "newcomer" who have signed up and immediately starts to bash the character Kes.

I gues that I've seen that before in the land of strange accounts.

Lynx677

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 10:45 am

Quote (exodus201 @ Aug. 24 2009, 11:08 am)
I found it ironic that as young as Scarlett Palmers was, she had better acting ability than Jen Lien who was a grown woman. ¿I don't feel Lien ever truly understood the motivation behind her chatacter and I think that's why Kes often felt flat and one dimensional.

I think that you're unfair here. Stating that Scarlett Pomers was a better actress than Lien is downright insulting.

Neither Scarlett Pomers nor her character added anything to the show. Just another whining kid brought in to add a touch of "cuteness" to the show. We've seen that before, most likely in TNG with Worf's son Alexander  and in DS9 with Jake.

Kes on the other hand was one of Star Trek's best characters and Jennifer Lien did a great job in portraying the character.

JOYOFVGR

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 10:48 am

Quote (Cherry_On_Top @ Aug. 25 2009, 2:41 am)
Greskrendtregk ??????/

sure she was born in season 2. ¿But she really didn't start interacting with the crew till after kes left. ¿I think the theory holds very well. ¿Kes was definitly the character who was new to space and trying to understand life on a starship. ¿How did Naomi Wildman not later fill that role?

Thanks, Cherry, that was my point. Kes was supposed to be a child exploring the world around her. In some ways Seven met that definition because humanity was new to her. But Seven also had the knowledge of the collective, so I didn't see her as innocent.

Naomi filled that role in my eyes and her relationship with Neelix as a father figure reminded me of Neelix and Kes early on. I often wondered how Kes might have interacted with Seven if she stayed on board. My guess is that their relationship might have been similar to Seven and Naomi's.

JOYOFVGR

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 10:50 am

Quote (Lynx677 @ Aug. 25 2009, 10:45 am)
Quote (exodus201 @ Aug. 24 2009, 11:08 am)
I found it ironic that as young as Scarlett Palmers was, she had better acting ability than Jen Lien who was a grown woman. ?I don't feel Lien ever truly understood the motivation behind her chatacter and I think that's why Kes often felt flat and one dimensional.

Neither Scarlett Pomers nor her character added anything to the show. Just another whining kid brought in to add a touch of "cuteness" to the show. We've seen that before, most likely in TNG with Worf's son Alexander ¿and in DS9 with Jake.

When did Naomi ever whine?

I thought that Naomi brought that touch of innocence and curiosity that originally belonged to Kes.