VOYAGER's RELAUNCH

carolinavoyagerfan

Report this Aug. 22 2009, 10:40 pm

What do you guys think of the dark turn of events in the "Destiny Trilogy"- and with the death of Admiral Janeway in Peter David's "Before Dishonor?" I think Full Circle has been the best of Voyager's relaunch novels overcoming "Homecoming", "The Farther Shore", the Spirit Walk Duology by Chirstie Golden. I have a few bones with the book.
1. Janeway is dead. I know that was not Kirsten Beyer's fault, but Peter David's. But why make her the first dead Captain along with Kirk? Picard and Sisko have many years on them and Picard's fate probably should have been met long before Janeways. Plus Picard is having a kid with Beverly Crusher and he is over 70 yrs old! ?I think it was great that her and Captain Chakotay hit it off and almost had a serious relationship as described in the novel.
2. Although Captian Chakotay suffered deeply physiologically after Janeway's death, and some say exhibited reckless behavior during the Azure Nebulae's Borg Armada, he should still be in command and not Captain Afsarah Eden. Admiral Janeway made a compelling case in front of Admiral Montgomery in Christie Golden's "Old Wounds" and toward the end of "The Farther Shore" to make sure Chakotay was given the captaincy of Voyager.
3. I don't like the fact that a lot of the new crew ONLY contained Lt. Kim and Commander Paris.
4. B'lenna cheating death? That is so unlike her. I am sure her friends would help her out instead she runs the quadrant in secrecy trying to protect her child Miral from the Sons of Grethor.

EXCERPT from UNWORTHY the sequel to Full Circle:
Freed with a thought, the greatest menace to humanity, the Borg, are gone, absorbed into the Caeliar gestalt. But are they? Can this deadly menace that has hovered over humanity for decades truly be gone? Might some shadow of the Caeliar remain? The Federation decides that they have to know, and Starfleet is ordered to find out.
The Starship Voyager leads a fleet into a region of space that has lived in fear of instant annihilation for generations: the Delta quadrant, home of the Borg. Afsarah Eden -- the new captain of Voyager -- is charged with getting answers, to reach out to possible allies and resolve old enmities in the Delta quadrant.

The perfection that was given to the Borg was withheld from Seven of Nine. Left behind, she is living a twilight existence -- neither Borg nor human -- and slowly going mad. The whispers of the Collective, comforting murmurs she has always known, are replaced with a voice deep within her that keeps insisting she is Annika Hansen. Chakotay, the former captain of Voyager, offers to help Seven rendezvous with the ships that Starfleet Command has sent into the Delta quadrant, the probable destination of the mysterious Caeliar.
These are not the friendly stars of the Federation; the unknown and the unexpected are the everyday

Lynx677

Report this Aug. 23 2009, 2:47 am

Personally I'm very dissapointed with the "Voyager Relaunch" books and the current direction of them.

The previous books written by Christie Golden were so-so. Not exactly what I wanted but acceptable in a way. I must also give Christie Golden credit for having an affection for the characters and for correcting some of the damage to the character which Berman and his gang made during the series.

But in recent time, the "Relaunch" has taken a turn to the worse. Now we have the same character destruction and screwing up as Berman and his gang did.

Janeway killed off! How can they kill off the main character?

Chakotay turned to an alcoholic, Kes, Neelix and Tuvok missing and C/7 showing up its ugly head again.

Definitely not what I want to read about.

I mean, Voyager had the best characters of all Star Trek series and what they are doing now is destroying them.

I refuse to read or waste any money on the current "relaunch" books. I will in no way support the destruction of the Voyager characters. I prefer to write my own stories where Janeway is still alive, Chakotay a strong main character and not a wimp and where Kes plays a significant role too.

SLagonia

Report this Aug. 23 2009, 7:27 am

The fact that these books aren't total disasters is a testiment to the writing, because the plot is dirt stupid.  That being said, they're not bad books.

I don't know, maybe you just have to look at them a different way...  It's like the Shatner-verse books, which I happen to love.  If you take them seriously, you could never like them, but if you just sit back and have fun, you can enjoy the exceptionally stupid ride you are on, because even if they are stupid, they're still entertaining.  For some reason, these books are similar (but not as good).

So if you want to read them, go ahead, just take my advise and don't take them seriously.  If you're just looking for Trek books to read, there are many better ones to read first.  Hell, those Shatner-verse books are fun, go read them.  But seriously, there are some really good ones out there.  'I, Q' is probably my favorite.  Either that or 'Ship of The Line,' and if you're a TNG and DS9 fan, try 'Transcendence.'

carolinavoyagerfan

Report this Aug. 23 2009, 12:26 pm

As for Kes- I doubt she could play any further significant role- after all she went physco in Season Six's "Fury". I liked her a lot. But I thought Seven brought more character depth and complexitity to the show and became great friends with Janeway. It was only fitting in "Before Dishonor" that she said the final goodbye to her.  I herd Neelix will be making a cameo apperance in Kirsten Beyer's sequel "Unworthy". Now that Voyager has been fitted with quantum slip stream and is back in the Delta Quadrant- well why not re-write Kes and make a visit to Ocampa too? Also does anyone like that the Borg are now gone replaced by the Caeilar? I thought that was a little uneasy.

Dbear1

Report this Aug. 23 2009, 3:09 pm

I liked Full Circle a lot more then Chirstie Goldens work.  It had a darker feel then the show did, but I found it a good read.

I do agree it would be better to have more of the crew with the return to Delta Quadrant, although the Doctor is also in the fleet on a medical ship.  Plus it looks likely that BElanna will be joining the fleet in some form.  As for some of the other characters, unfortunately Janeway was killed off in a TNG book, which ticks me off BTW, and Tuvok was hijacked by another series of books.

Still I gave Full Circle high ratings, I found it an enjoyable read myself

Lynx677

Report this Aug. 23 2009, 3:34 pm

Quote (carolinavoyagerfan @ Aug. 22 2009, 1:26 pm)
As for Kes- I doubt she could play any further significant role- after all she went physco in Season Six's "Fury". I liked her a lot. But I thought Seven brought more character depth and complexitity to the show and became great friends with Janeway. It was only fitting in "Before Dishonor" that she said the final goodbye to her. ¿I herd Neelix will be making a cameo apperance in Kirsten Beyer's sequel "Unworthy". Now that Voyager has been fitted with quantum slip stream and is back in the Delta Quadrant- well why not re-write Kes and make a visit to Ocampa too? Also does anyone like that the Borg are now gone replaced by the Caeilar? I thought that was a little uneasy.

Personally I do think that Kes could play a significant role-if they bothered to mend the damage made to the character in the horrible episode "Fury". In fact, I actually did that in my "Coming Home"-story. It took me 10 minutes to mend the damage made to the character in "The Gift" and two minutes to dismiss the crap in "Fury" so there's no problem in doing that.

Besides that, the "String Theory" books confirmed that the creature in "Fury" wasn't the real Kes.

However, I must admit that I'm not sure that I really want Kes back in the books considering the trend for character destruction in the recent books. I guess  that they would use the "Fury" crap as plot for further destruction of the character. I prefer to read my own stories.

As for Neelix's "cameo appearance", I guess it will be nothing but a guest appearance. I just hope that they won't kill him off too.

What they should concentrate on is to bring Janeway back. Then we could take a look at how to restore the other main characters.

But I guess that's just a naive dream from my side.  :(

Dbear1

Report this Aug. 23 2009, 3:55 pm

Quote (carolinavoyagerfan @ Aug. 23 2009, 12:26 pm)

Would not Kes be dead by now, if memory serves me right Full Circle ends about three years after Voyager returned?  By season seven Kes would have eight years old and he race dies off at nine years, by the end of Full Circle she would have been eleven I think.

Lynx677

Report this Aug. 23 2009, 5:11 pm

Quote (Dbear1 @ Aug. 22 2009, 4:55 pm)
Quote (carolinavoyagerfan @ Aug. 23 2009, 12:26 pm)
As for Kes- I doubt she could play any further significant role- after all she went physco in Season Six's "Fury". I liked her a lot. But I thought Seven brought more character depth and complexitity to the show and became great friends with Janeway. It was only fitting in "Before Dishonor" that she said the final goodbye to her. ?I herd Neelix will be making a cameo apperance in Kirsten Beyer's sequel "Unworthy". Now that Voyager has been fitted with quantum slip stream and is back in the Delta Quadrant- well why not re-write Kes and make a visit to Ocampa too? Also does anyone like that the Borg are now gone replaced by the Caeilar? I thought that was a little uneasy.

Would not Kes be dead by now, if memory serves me right Full Circle ends about three years after Voyager returned? ¿By season seven Kes would have eight years old and he race dies off at nine years, by the end of Full Circle she would have been eleven I think.

No, not if she had her lifespan prolonged.

According to "Cold Fire", the Ocampa on Suspiria's array lived until they were 20 or so.

In my stories, she's been given a human lifespan by a benevolent entity with certain powers.

I mean, if they could bring back Spock from the dead in STIII-the search for Spock........    :)

carolinavoyagerfan

Report this Aug. 23 2009, 5:42 pm

I enjoyed Kes. I don't think she would have lived past her Ocampan span. But she became very powerful in "Fury" and maybe she was able to harness the power of the Ocampans that lived on Suspiria's array. I do wonder about her fate- that was a long journey back she would have had to make to Ocampa from where Voyager was in the DQ. The trip would be well beyond her lifetime. But if she wasn't the real Kes as expalined in the String Theory, then where is the real Kes?  You are right-the beginning of the book takes place in late 2378 after events in "Enemy of my Enemy" and ends in 2381 (Voyager returned home in Jan of 2378). I know that "Homecoming" and "The Farther Shore" took place immediately after their return in Jan and Feb of 2378. So yes this book takes place around 3 yrs after their return. I thought it was a great read, and perhaps one of the best Trek books along with one of the best Voyager books. I thought "Pathways" and "Distant Shores" were pretty good along with "The Escape" and "Ragnarok". I think it's great that Voyager is back in the DQ, I don't like the fact that Afsarah Eden is in command instead of Chakotay. Kim and Paris are the only crewmembers left on VOY- WTF! But you're right the Doctor is atleast the CMO on the Medical vessel throughout the fleet. I herd that Chakotay and Seven meet up with the fleet through quantum slip stream along with B'LENNA who cheated her death and is awaiting to be with Tom and she herself is using quantum slip stream to catch up to them in the sequel "Unworthy". Neelix will also be visited once they each the DQ.

Lynx677

Report this Aug. 24 2009, 1:51 am

Quote (carolinavoyagerfan @ Aug. 22 2009, 6:42 pm)
I enjoyed Kes. I don't think she would have lived past her Ocampan span. But she became very powerful in "Fury" and maybe she was able to harness the power of the Ocampans that lived on Suspiria's array. I do wonder about her fate- that was a long journey back she would have had to make to Ocampa from where Voyager was in the DQ. The trip would be well beyond her lifetime. But if she wasn't the real Kes as expalined in the String Theory, then where is the real Kes? ?You are right-the beginning of the book takes place in late 2378 after events in "Enemy of my Enemy" and ends in 2381 (Voyager returned home in Jan of 2378). I know that "Homecoming" and "The Farther Shore" took place immediately after their return in Jan and Feb of 2378. So yes this book takes place around 3 yrs after their return. I thought it was a great read, and perhaps one of the best Trek books along with one of the best Voyager books. I thought "Pathways" and "Distant Shores" were pretty good along with "The Escape" and "Ragnarok". I think it's great that Voyager is back in the DQ, I don't like the fact that Afsarah Eden is in command instead of Chakotay. Kim and Paris are the only crewmembers left on VOY- WTF! But you're right the Doctor is atleast the CMO on the Medical vessel throughout the fleet. I herd that Chakotay and Seven meet up with the fleet through quantum slip stream along with B'LENNA who cheated her death and is awaiting to be with Tom and she herself is using quantum slip stream to catch up to them in the sequel "Unworthy". Neelix will also be visited once they each the DQ.

If you want to read about what happened to Kes after leaving Voyager.....  :)

As for the Voyager books, the best books are to be found in seasons 1-3. I highly recommend books like "The Black Shore" by Greg Cox, "Marooned" by Christie Golden, "Her Klingon Soul" by Michael Jan Friedman and the book version of "Caretaker".

There are other great books as well. Most of them are actually better than many of the TV episodes.

My book reviews

Josh_Lyman

Report this Aug. 24 2009, 1:52 am

The Voyager re-launch books are great. The Voyager books take place between seasons 3 and 7.

carolinavoyagerfan

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 1:52 am

I appreciate the links to the story. I am reading Book number 9: The Final Fury. So far I enjoy it. I have been reading the books that were set during the sereis and buying them used online. I like to consider them cannon unless they conflict with the show in some parts.

Lynx677

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 10:48 am

Quote (carolinavoyagerfan @ Aug. 24 2009, 2:52 am)

"The Final Fury" is a very good book. I think that the Furies were great villains, better than the Borg. They should bring them in as villains in some upcoming Trek series.

The Voyager books, at least the season 1-3 books I have are actually easy to fit into the timeline for the show itself. There are some contradictions in some of the books but not worse than it's possible to mentally sort them out while reading the books. I've added some comments about some of the contradictions in my bookreviews.

CommanderSTRONG

Report this Aug. 25 2009, 6:00 pm

Quote (Lynx677 @ Aug. 23 2009, 2:47 am)

Janeway killed off! How can they kill off the main character?

Definitely not what I want to read about.

Well Said!

:D

stovokor2000

Report this Aug. 26 2009, 12:40 am

Quote (Lynx677 @ Aug. 23 2009, 2:47 am)

I like Voyager but thats one of the biggest over statements I ever heard.

Most of Voyagers characters were either under developed or were taken down the wrong path.