Kate Mulgrew was not the original Captain

UtopiaPlanitia

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 11:46 am

I did not know this.

Mulgrew was called in after the origianl actress quit after 1 day of filming!

Lynx677

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 12:22 pm

I think we should be very happy that things went the way they did in this matter.

captbates

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 4:54 pm

I'm surprised you didn't know this, the season 1 DVD has the deleted scene.
I've found the video on Youtube if you've not seen it.Captain Nicole Janeway

Dbear1

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 6:10 pm

Trust me if the clip is any indication of how this actress would of turned out, lets us just say it would have not been good.  The actress came across as very wooden and boring, least for the part of Janeway.  Plus word is she was a bit of a diva.

Kate Mulgrew was much better for the part of Janeway then their first choice.

Josh_Lyman

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 10:13 pm

Quote (Lynx677 @ Aug. 17 2009, 1:22 pm)

I agree with you 100%.

Lucifer_

Report this Aug. 19 2009, 1:43 am

My gods, I'm glad they went with Kate.

DRAGON_ROSE

Report this Aug. 19 2009, 9:08 am

DRAGON_ROSE

Report this Aug. 19 2009, 9:11 am

Quote (captbates @ Aug. 18 2009, 10:54 pm)
I'm surprised you didn't know this, the season 1 DVD has the deleted scene.
I've found the video on Youtube if you've not seen it.Captain Nicole Janeway

just watched it she doesn't have the same feel as kate. she ( kate) is SO MUCH better.

Gryffindor7

Report this Aug. 19 2009, 9:12 am

Thank you, Genevieve for quitting...and thank you so much, Kate for saying 'yes' ...you're one of the reason I watch Voyager :cool:

DRAGON_ROSE

Report this Aug. 19 2009, 9:24 am

Quote (Gryffindor7 @ Aug. 19 2009, 3:12 pm)

couldn't have put it better.

brcarthey

Report this Aug. 19 2009, 11:03 am

a little more trivia is that ms. bujold wasn't the first choice either.  susan gibney who played dr. leah brahms in TNG was berman's first choice by a long shot. she filmed test scenes with RDM, tim russ, and someone else (roxann dawson, i believe) since they had already been quickly hired, but, TPTB at paramount thought she was too young looking and no amount of makeup would work to make her look motherly/old enough.

one other actress under consideration was chelsea field who married scott bakula in 1996 (also, she worked with RDM in the he-man movie and with roxann dawson in the short lived tv series "nightingales").

frankly, like a few of other actors (ms. dawson, bob picardo and RDM) in this series i can't see anyone else in the role of janeway b/c ms. mulgrew absolutely owned that role.

janeway_delta

Report this Aug. 19 2009, 11:45 am

Thanks for the extra info about the other actresses, I never knew that before now.

Josh_Lyman

Report this Aug. 19 2009, 9:44 pm

Quote (captbates @ Aug. 17 2009, 5:54 pm)
I'm surprised you didn't know this, the season 1 DVD has the deleted scene.
I've found the video on Youtube if you've not seen it.Captain Nicole Janeway

I just watched the clip. Wow, she was really awful.

captbates

Report this Aug. 20 2009, 8:05 pm

Quote (Josh_Lyman @ Aug. 19 2009, 2:44 am)
Quote (captbates @ Aug. 17 2009, 5:54 pm)
I'm surprised you didn't know this, the season 1 DVD has the deleted scene.
I've found the video on Youtube if you've not seen it.Captain Nicole Janeway

I just watched the clip. Wow, she was really awful.

Just goes to show that bringing in a big name doesn't always work. She doesn't look interested, maybe she just realised that 7 years of hard work wasn't for her.

Patsy Kensit was heavily touted in the UK well before filming started, but that was just as eye candy. Not the best idea for a Captain.

captbates

Report this Aug. 20 2009, 8:09 pm

Quote (DRAGON_ROSE @ Aug. 18 2009, 2:11 pm)
Quote (captbates @ Aug. 18 2009, 10:54 pm)
I'm surprised you didn't know this, the season 1 DVD has the deleted scene.
I've found the video on Youtube if you've not seen it.Captain Nicole Janeway

Yeah much better.

BUT...

I wonder how we'd feel if we had 7 years of Boujold, then saw Mulgrew in the same scene.