A HATER CHANGED

pantherstud

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 11:11 am

Ok, so, after my first viewing of Star Trek I was not a fan. I wanted something else, and I was not happy about it. ¿

However, I recently flew to Argentina this past week and the in-flight movie was Star Trek. ¿I was interested to watch it again, after reading all of the different posts on here, and see how I felt. ¿Well, half way through the movie and elderly lady had a heart attack, and were diverted to Panama where we had to stay an extra day because the radar malfunctioned as we landed. (Another story for another day) Anyway, we eventually embarked once again for Argentina and we were rewarded with another showing of Star Trek. ¿(This time we got to finish it). ¿

After watching it again, I have to say that I do like the movie. ¿It does very much remind me of other films and whatnot, but I realized that I like Trek for many reasons. ¿The depth the show has had intellectually, the action, the characters, the history as a whole (however pitted it might have been), the longevity. . . ¿ And everytime I come across a hole in the storyline or something that was hard to believe, I just accepted and suspended my disbelief to enjoy the show. ¿That's what I did here. If I had it my way I probably would change stuff about the movie, but so would just about everyone else. I am now in a state of excitement for the next movie.

BTW: The score was flat out amazing upon second hearing.

Narada

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 12:13 pm

I also had disappointment after first time viewing but then liked it very much after seeing two more times. It is true they could make improvements but overall it is a very good movie and a success. It may not be perfect but no Star Trek movie is. I am hoping they can learn from this one and make the sequel even more improved !

:cool: ¿:logical:

1701AtoE

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 1:53 pm

Thanks for sharing. I gone in never worried about plot holes but just pure enjoyment of the essence of Trek - characters, humanity,  group problem solving, ships and commanding the ships. The first 10 minutes was probably the most powerful opening of all Trek movies, and possibly all movies in last 40 years (for me, better than Saving Private Ryan).

The holes are initially big, but easily filled second and third time viewing. Others will be filled in the DVD deleted scenes (e.g., Nero's prison time), and all the back stories and comics.

Vger23

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 2:26 pm

It's interesting how sometimes perceptions change over repeated viewings, when you start to remove emotion or bias from the picture. I had a very similar experience with "The Matrix." When I first saw it, I really didn't like it. I almost left the theater. I got so tired of people telling me how great it was and it was soooo awesome and blah blah blah. BUT, I decided to give it another chance and I rented it when it came out on video, and now it's one of my favorite movies.

Similar (but opposite) story for INS. Even though I was somewhat disappointed in INS when I first saw it, I went to see it multiple times in the theater becuase I thought it was pretty cool. Now, I really can't even get through it because it doesn't have a lot of re-watch value like the other movies do.

I think if someone can afford the same leeway to "plothole" issues to Trek XI that they can afford to any (all) of the other Trek movies, there is really no problem. Is it a PERFECT movie? No. Is it a GOOD movie? Yes, I believe it is...very much so.

Narada

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 2:35 pm

Maybe you will like the next one !

SaturnsRings

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 2:46 pm

Quote (BrianHMay @ Aug. 17 2009, 2:36 pm)
Don't hold your breath.

Will you even see the next one?

thereR4lights

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 2:56 pm

Quote (BrianHMay @ Aug. 17 2009, 2:54 pm)
Probably not.

your loss

thereR4lights

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 3:05 pm

thats ridiculous to say... you would gain more hate monger spittle to spew watching it

thereR4lights

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 3:09 pm

thats not what i said... it doesnt matter.. you lose the rest of us win, go XI and get that best movie nominee :kiss:

thereR4lights

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 3:13 pm

really... 90% of trekkies, trekkers and trek fans accept it... who are you to say its psuedo.... get over it

thereR4lights

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 3:17 pm

ok... you are the master of trek... i bow to you, since im a sheep, please tell mr what is and what isnt trek, you egocentric fool... ofcorse its trek

thereR4lights

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 3:20 pm

you have no idea what your talking about...

Vger23

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 3:20 pm

Yet another thread completely ruined by ranting and foolishness.

thereR4lights

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 3:23 pm

im glad we can finaly all agree that XI is f**cin awsome

thereR4lights

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 3:24 pm

Quote (BrianHMay @ Aug. 17 2009, 3:23 pm)
Quote (thereR4lights @ Aug. 17 2009, 3:23 pm)
im glad we can finaly all agree that XI is f**cin awsome

We don't all agree.
learn to read.
This movie sucked.

im glad you finally see my point... welcome to the XI fan club