Mirror Universe/No TNG-No VOY

24thcenturyfan

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 6:14 am

I can't seem to understand why the Mirror Universe was never used on TNG or VOY.  There was one episode on TOS, 3 or 4 episodes on DS9, & one two-part episode on ENT.  But none on TNG or VOY. Why not?

LtCmdrHanson

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 6:24 am

IDK, but in my opinion the mirror universe (MU) stories in DS9 stunk. They didn't continue the MU in any way, shape or form that TOS or ENT did, and did well. There's a reasonably good TNG novel called Dark Mirror that deals with the MU, and various short story collections about the MU, if you do read the novels. Even the comics, when DC had the license did a story arc about the MU and it was pretty good.

I don't know if I helped you out w/ info, but have a good day anyway!

OtakuJo

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 9:20 am

Opinions of "this sucked" aren't really going to help much -- as a lot that some people think sucked others are not going to think the same and that's not a likely reason why it isn't there.

Here's what I'm thinking (I cannot of course verify it but it seems plausible given the timing and everything.)

TNG they hadn't thought about bringing back the Mirror Universe. It finished around the second season of DS9 and late in that same year was the episode "Crossover" which was when they reintroduced it.

Voyager, Not sure. But a lot of that was set so far away from the same territories that it probably just didn't belong. They did bring Tuvok in for an episode. "Through the Looking Glass", which was the second DS9 mirror episode.

All in all, I think it worked reasonably well to have one set of MU characters per era. (That being the Empire in the 22nd and 23rd century, and the Alliance / Rebellion in the 24th.) Smiley and the Intendant in particular were such prominent characters in the 24.c. MU I guess you could figure without them but I'm not at all sure how. There are novels which deal with Voyager and Next Gen. mirror universe characters, as well as all the others.

RikersMailbox

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 1:16 pm

Quote (24thcenturyfan @ Aug. 17 2009, 6:14 am)
I can't seem to understand why the Mirror Universe was never used on TNG or VOY. ¿There was one episode on TOS, 3 or 4 episodes on DS9, & one two-part episode on ENT. ¿But none on TNG or VOY. Why not?

Maybe because TNG and Voyager always used the holodeck which was a great device in having alternative episodes with the same characters.  For TNG "Yesterdays Enterprise" and "Parallels" I would consider "Mirror Universe" episodes.

Ali88

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 1:34 pm

There are some TNG episodes that had mirror like universes like that one when Riker was captain of the Enterprise and he was abusing everyone

I remember:

Riker: SHUT UP

Picard: I beg your pardon

Riker: I said SHUT UP, as in close your mouth and stop talking

Picard: Mr Worf, take off my belt

Worf: with pleasure sir :D

subytrek

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 7:51 pm

I remember this conversation except I don't recall the last two lines of dialog.  :question:

lostshaker

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 8:54 pm

VGR's "Living Witness" is a great episode that deals with an alternate take on the characters due to revisionist history.

SaturnsRings

Report this Aug. 17 2009, 9:55 pm

I agree that DS9's take on the Mirror Universe was not that good. Other than the original series I have to admit that the double Mirror Darkly episode from Enterprise was very good..one of their best.

Unregistered_Guest

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 3:07 am

Quote (lostshaker @ Aug. 17 2009, 5:54 pm)

Agreed, Living Witness was very much like a mirror ep. complete with a black leather glove wearing murderous Janeway.

It is one of my very favorite VOY eps., very thought provoking and a true mind-bender.

NuclearWessels

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 9:36 am

I was thinking the doc's holoprogram in "Author, Auther" was a good tribute to TOS's mirror episode....  I mean it even had 2Vok with a goatee!

tribblenator999

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 6:16 pm

why let's see the alliance destroyed the empire in 2295. Earth was obliterated. All species of the empire were slaves so they don't live long. So Picard was born in 2305 and Janeway born in the 2330s. So it's safe to say they were never born. ;)

Kdbtrekkin

Report this Aug. 19 2009, 5:28 pm

I don't really like any of the mirror universe episodes. Though I kind of like the original, and the DS9 where Garak is killed and almost the bringing back of Jennifer. Didn't really care much for Enterprise's except for how hot Hoshi was. OMG. Yeah.

I'm glad they didn't do any in VOY or TNG.

OtakuJo

Report this Aug. 20 2009, 2:52 am

I like that Mirror Garak has to resort to "eeny meeny" to decide which Ferengi to kill first.

And Odo exploding like an overheated marshmallow. That was COOL.

TNG and Voyager had plenty of Alternate Universe episodes. But none of those were in the Mirror Universe.

LtCmdrHanson

Report this Aug. 20 2009, 5:03 am

OtakuJo,

It was my opinion, and I did mention alternate versions of the MU in novel form, if the OP didn't like my comment about the DS9 epis. We agree to disagree.

OtakuJo

Report this Aug. 21 2009, 1:04 am

Quote (LtCmdrHanson @ Aug. 20 2009, 5:03 am)
OtakuJo,

*shrugz* Sure. No wurries.

I got one of the MU anthologies too which is one Voyager, one DS9 and one New Frontier I think -- although I hardly know anything about the New Frontier characters. Personally though if I said the DS9 story in that is better than the other two and the VOY story is #3 for quality, then that would be cool too but not really answering the question either even speculatively.

Not a point about which are good or bad representations of the Mirror Universe. And after all if we didn't have diverse opinions then there wouldn't be enough stories to cater to those diverse opinions.

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam, wissa