Lack Of Minority Superheroes

Gold_53

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 9:19 pm

Something I happened to notice when I was making the upcoming Superhero movie poll is there is really no minority superheroes. I don't mean they don't exist, but I mean mainstream ones. I can't think of a single mainstream superhero that is a minority.

For example:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
The Flash
Green Lantern
The Hulk
Aquaman
Daredevil
Spider-Man
Captain Marvel
The Punisher
Iron Man
Captain America

Even all the original superhero teams don't have any minorities

Justice League Of America: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman and the Martian Manhunter.

X-men: Professor X, Beast, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman

The Avengers: Ant-Man, Wasp, Thor, Iron Man, The Hulk, and Captain America

The Fantastic Four: The Human Torch, Mr. Fantastic, the Thing, and the Invisible Woman

Now granted some teams added minorities in later incarnations but were probably just to be politically correct. Like the X-men adding Storm, Colossus(Russian), Nightcrawler(German) etc. etc.

Then there are minor superheroes that were created that are minorities like for example Luke Cage, War Machine, and Black Panther. Probably the closest thing to a mainstream somewhat well known superhero is the John Stewart version of Green Lantern

Finally I can recall the old 70s/80s cartoon series called Super Friends which included token minority superheroes that were only used infrequently if ever you really honestly only saw them on a regular basis in the intro of the show

Superfriends Intro - Youtube

Apache Chief (Native American)
El Dorado (Hispanic)
Samurai (Asian)
Black Vulcan (African American)

I have to wonder if it was just a sign of the times being that most mainstream superheroes were created between 1938 and and 1968 during a time when America was still going thru establishing Civil Rights and still segregating different races from each other. Still odd that very few minority superhero characters have been created since then that have reached main stream success.

I guess you could say Spawn reached some main stream success even though the live action movie was awful and the animated series not very well known. Al Simmons was African American though. Maybe I'm forgetting about some significant minority superhero but I don't think I am.

Maybe Wonder Woman should be African American in the movie afterall.

:logical:

HedoIsBarisManco

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 9:26 pm

Turkish Superman

My Webpage

Turkish Batman

My Webpage

Turkish Spider Man vs Captain Turkish America

My Webpage

Yup, no minorities either  :O

Gold_53

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 9:36 pm

Quote (HedoIsBarisManco @ Aug. 16 2009, 9:26 pm)
Turkish Superman

My Webpage

Turkish Batman

My Webpage

Turkish Spider Man vs Captain Turkish America

My Webpage

Yup, no minorities either ¿:O

Turkish anything isn't Mainstream lol.

:p

RomanLion

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 9:41 pm

I thought the character's name was "Black Lightening"....

Yeah, you have a point, prior to the 1970's, there were no minority superheroes, and even after, they haven't produced many or developed them well.

I also don't think Colossus and Nightcrawler were 'minorities' much less than they were attempts to create the "New X-Men" as an "international team" as opposed to the old X-men who were purely American. (Wolverine was Canadian, Storm was African, etc.)

norwegian

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 9:43 pm

The Thing is Jewish.

Gold_53

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 9:46 pm

Quote (norwegian @ Aug. 16 2009, 9:43 pm)
The Thing is Jewish.

That was not revealed until 2002.

Gold_53

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 9:48 pm

Quote (RomanLion @ Aug. 16 2009, 9:41 pm)
I thought the character's name was "Black Lightening"....

You may be right about the international team part with the new X-men team. As for Black Vulcan/Black Lightning just watch the youtube vid I linked you will see they call him Black Vulcan.

Splurk

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 9:48 pm

There are less minorities in fiction, oh wow...

Gay poeple are also underpictured, there's Northstar and Mystique, evil females are bi, always. Just look at the mirror universe. I bet Hoshi did T'Pol.

Gold_53

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 9:50 pm

Quote (Splurk @ Aug. 16 2009, 9:48 pm)
There are less minorities in fiction, oh wow...

Yeah homosexuals in comics is still a taboo subject even now.

RomanLion

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 9:51 pm

Quote (Splurk @ Aug. 16 2009, 9:48 pm)
Just look at the mirror universe. I bet Hoshi did T'Pol.

Well, that would have raised the ratings...

Seriously, though, GR said he'd do gay characters on TNG, and never followed through.

norwegian

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 9:53 pm

They've probably cured gay people by the 22nd century.   Joking, just joking.

RomanLion

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 9:57 pm

Quote (norwegian @ Aug. 16 2009, 9:53 pm)
They've probably cured gay people by the 22nd century. ¿ Joking, just joking.

You joke about that sort of thing, but maybe not...

Assume that homosexuality is a genetic cause. Two recessive genes get together, and the fetus is singing showtunes...

So if you identify those genes and people make genetic decisions not to get married or have kids if that gene is present...

and suddenly, we are deprived of our supply of interior decorators and girl's gym coaches.... a national tragedy.

Gold_53

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 10:15 pm

Really no real reason that Wonder Woman would have to be white IMO I mean she is supposed to be from a invisible island populated by Amazons. She could very well be black or hispanic and still be believable IMO.

RomanLion

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 10:23 pm

Quote (Gold_53 @ Aug. 16 2009, 10:15 pm)

I wouldn't mind seeing Beyonce as Wonder Woman, but I don't think she's muscular enough.

She's gotten chunkier of late...

The perfect person to play her would have been Lucy Lawless 10 years ago, but I think the boat has sailed on that one.

Corwin8