James Cameron on Transformers and ST

rocketscientist

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 5:28 pm

Here's an interview of James Cameron, regarding his new film Avatar and other sci-fi topics, conducted by the LA Times Geoff Boucher in his herocomplex site:

GB: Or Joseph Conrad¿?

JC: Yes, exactly. And I think returning to classic tales is a powerful thing. Look, right now is a special time because we can basically do anything we imagine. I mean you have to work hard at it, and you¿ve got to have the technique and you have to be willing to throw money at the problem. Sometimes you have to be a little bold and go out on a limb. But if you can imagine it, you can do it. That¿s why we¿re seeing this renaissance of  visual imagination. It¿s just a growth. Films look better now than they¿ve ever looked. Sometimes they get a little lost in it though. I¿ll go to a ¿Transformers¿ film for the fun of seeing the spectacle but, personally, my soul craves a little more story, a little more meat on the bone and characters and that sort of thing. Look, I think it's about finding a balance between story and all of this gimmickry. I think I veer toward classicism, being solidly rooted in the classic stuff. I mean really old-school science fiction. This is a movie I would have loved to have seen when I was a 14-year-old kid in 1968.

GB: Well, certainly, that¿s why it's reassuring for anyone to see movies like ¿Star Trek¿ and ¿Up,¿ which might be my two favorite films this year, because both are examples of technology and craft achieving the fantastic but in service of great storytelling.

JC: Right, ¿Star Trek¿ -- look at that. That is a great example of a complete reinvention. Really, it¿s beautifully done, really. Bravo. And I loved the first season of ¿Star Trek¿ back in 1965 or 1966 or whenever it was, it grabbed me as a kid, but I drifted away from it over time. And this was such a great way to see it come back as re-imagined. What fun.

It's apparent that Cameron, unlike some people here, sees a distinct difference between Transformers 2 and ST XI.  He felt that ST was a great film with great storytelling.

WkdYngMan

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 5:40 pm

It's obvious James Cameron hates the film. ¿Just look at what he said.

JC: Right, Star Trek -- look at that. That is a great example of a complete reinvention. Really, it?s beautifully done, really. Bravo. And I loved the first season of ?Star Trek? back in 1965 or 1966 or whenever it was, it grabbed me as a kid, but I drifted away from it over time. And this was such a great way to see it come back as re-imagined. What fun.

See, obviously the story was so shitty that he actually drifted away from the movie over time. Take that!

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 5:55 pm

It's just more proof that some on these boards don't know WTF they are talking about and need to learn how to express their frustration in a positive manner.

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 6:35 pm

James Cameron is an idiot.
And so is anyone else who listens to endorsements like sheep.

Vger23

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 6:39 pm

Clearly James Cameron was paid to say that and just didn't want to burn any Hollywood bridges.

:eyesroll:

Vger23

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 6:39 pm

Quote (Vice_Adm_Baxter @ Aug. 15 2009, 5:55 pm)

VAB,

I think WYM was being sarcastic...!

;)

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 6:42 pm

Quote (Vger23 @ Aug. 15 2009, 6:39 pm)

:eyesroll:

That's right.

SaturnsRings

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 6:50 pm

I can't wait to see Cameron's new movie Avatar. But I agree with him about his feelings toward the new Star Trek. His opinion is one I agree with.

rocketscientist

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 7:50 pm

Quote (SaturnsRings @ Aug. 15 2009, 6:50 pm)

The buzz on Avatar is really good.

District 9 is supposed to be good too.

SaturnsRings

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 7:55 pm

Quote (rocketscientist @ Aug. 15 2009, 7:50 pm)
Quote (SaturnsRings @ Aug. 15 2009, 6:50 pm)

The buzz on Avatar is really good.

District 9 is supposed to be good too.

Any idea when a trailer for Avatar will be out? I can't find one.

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 7:57 pm

At least Avatar is completely original.
That's more that can be said then for pseudo-Trek.

PhantomCrunk007

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 7:58 pm

Quote (BrianHMay @ Aug. 15 2009, 4:57 am)
At least Avatar is completely original.
That's more that can be said then for pseudo-Trek.

LoL @ BrianHMay,MattJC,HDent.

What a miserable creature. How's life, Matt?

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 8:02 pm

My name isn't Matt, you jackass.

SaturnsRings

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 8:02 pm

Quote (BrianHMay @ Aug. 15 2009, 7:57 pm)
At least Avatar is completely original.
That's more that can be said then for pseudo-Trek.

You can't even carry on a normal conversation without bringing up your obsession with the new Star Trek movie.  :eyesroll:

I am sorry that your mother touched you inappropriately and that your boyfriend found another guy and dumped you.

I feel your pain.

PhantomCrunk007

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 8:03 pm

Quote (BrianHMay @ Aug. 15 2009, 5:02 am)
My name isn't Matt, you jackass.

Sure it's not, Matt.