Final Frontier is charm

The_Corbomite_Maneuver_Ma
n

Report this Aug. 14 2009, 8:35 pm

I've just watched Final Frontier for the very first time in my life. Impressive video transfer on BD.

Anyway, I found the movie as being very ***FASCINATING***. It retains most of the "old charm" of TOS. Vintage locations, vintage atmosphere. I liked the humor, even. Found the interaction between the classic three... irresistible.

To me, it's CANON. Why shouldn't it?

SaturnsRings

Report this Aug. 14 2009, 8:37 pm

It reminds me a lot of the original series.

lostshaker

Report this Aug. 14 2009, 9:27 pm

I was having this conversation with a friend the other day. Had this movie been the first Star Trek movie I think it may have been received and remembered much differently, because in a lot of ways it is like TOS. But the four movies prior raised the bar so high, it wasn't a good followup to the trilogy of TWOK through TVH. And TMP is still my favorite, but yes, TFF has a lot of charm. It was the first Trek movie I saw in a theatre and I loved it at the time. Then in my teens I turned away from  it and now warming up to it again. The camp fire scene is fantastic.

Admiral_BlackCat

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 12:00 am

The opening scene with Spock flying after Kirk in his rocket boots is classic!
I want rocket boots!!

Mirrorgirl

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 1:55 am

I really enjoy TFF and it does indeed have charm. It falls short in a some departments, but overall it is enjoyable. The campfire scenes are classics :cool:

The_Corbomite_Maneuver_Ma
n

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 11:44 am

Gonna watch #6 tonight, anyway I loved #5. The Shat did a great job in recapturing the original spirit of the series.

Ali88

Report this Aug. 15 2009, 1:01 pm

I thought Star Trek V was the weakest TOS movie but it was overall ok

The movie had a good story but suffered from a draft like script

What's good about Star Trek V:

1. The music score

2. The "search for God" plot

3. The philosophy that God exists inside of you at the end of the movie

4. Sybok- a very interesting character

5. The scenes with "sharing the pain"

6. Kirk climbing El Capitan and what it symbolises

7. Kirk's belief that he'll die alone

8. "Row Row Row your boat"

9. The character moments between Kirk, Spock and McCoy

What's bad about Star Trek V:

1. The special effects

2. The forced humour

3. Uhura/Scotty romance

4. Uhura's fan dance scene

5. The turboshaft scene (78 decks)

6. No Rock Monsters on the Sha Ka Ree planet

7. Certain characters wasted like David Warner's character and Sybok's followers

8. No real explanation given to why the Enterprise had to be sent to Nimbus III to assess the hostage situation

9. No real explanation given to how the Enterprise travelled to the centre of the galaxy in a matter of hours

PrepareToBeBoarded

Report this Aug. 16 2009, 2:34 am

Quote (Ali88 @ Aug. 15 2009, 12:01 pm)
I thought Star Trek V was the weakest TOS movie but it was overall ok

The movie had a good story but suffered from a draft like script

I agree with what you said, I just didn't want to quote the whole thing. Anyways, I didn't like this as much as any of the other TOS films, but that's probably because I was expecting it to be on the same caliber as the three before it.

thereR4lights

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 12:07 pm

its an endering movie... the scenes in the park are deff the best.. i like kirk saying he needs his pain.. but the story was to jumpy and rushed... and to much comic relief... scotty hitting his head... i didnt like that...

but ill say one thing... it better than tmp

thereR4lights

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 1:02 pm

stupid mistakes aside...... tmp is a bore... i d rather be entertained that force fed 2 and a half hours of of the oh so glorious 1701 refit

SaturnsRings

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 3:31 pm

Although I do like TFF I think TMP was much better.

WkdYngMan

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 3:35 pm

Both TMP & TFF have their ups and downs for me. ¿I still like TFF though. ¿As SB63 suggested, some editing could have done wonders. ¿Not sure about the whole thing being a dream sequence as has kinda been suggested in fandom, however, I have to admit that theory works very nicely.

SpaceClown77

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 4:10 pm

Quote (Ali88 @ Aug. 15 2009, 1:01 pm)
I thought Star Trek V was the weakest TOS movie but it was overall ok

The movie had a good story but suffered from a draft like script

What's good about Star Trek V:

1. The music score

2. The "search for God" plot

3. The philosophy that God exists inside of you at the end of the movie

4. Sybok- a very interesting character

5. The scenes with "sharing the pain"

6. Kirk climbing El Capitan and what it symbolises

7. Kirk's belief that he'll die alone

8. "Row Row Row your boat"

9. The character moments between Kirk, Spock and McCoy

What's bad about Star Trek V:

1. The special effects

2. The forced humour

3. Uhura/Scotty romance

4. Uhura's fan dance scene

5. The turboshaft scene (78 decks)

6. No Rock Monsters on the Sha Ka Ree planet

I largely agree with that.

I'll add that TFF fails for me because it hasn't got one single memorable action sequence, which TMP is also guilty of.

That's one of my prerequisites when going into see a new Trek film. All I want is just one riveting action scene for me to enjoy and remember fondly, not too long but not too short either. Just one, that's it.

TWOK has it(Battle in the Mutara Nebula), TSFS has it(Stealing the Enterprise), GEN has it(Destruction and crash landing of the Enterprise D), FC has it(The Dish) etc.

The closest we get to a decent action scene in TFF is when they are riding on those unicorns at night and then storming the city with those silly shields of theirs. :O

SpaceClown77

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 4:17 pm

Quote (thereR4lights @ Aug. 18 2009, 12:07 pm)
but ill say one thing... it better than tmp

I prefer it to TMP myself.

I find TMP a yawn-fest and not worth my time. TFF has got spirit and more intriguing story I'll give it that, whereas TMP feels too sterile and lifeless for me and for most I would imagine.

SpaceClown77

Report this Aug. 18 2009, 4:25 pm

Quote (starbase63 @ Aug. 18 2009, 4:18 pm)
Have you seen The Director's Cut of ST:TMP?

:logical:

I have sadly. The whole film just just doesn't work for me I'm afraid. Too slow and boring, the chemistry of the crew is all but absent, Leonard Nimoy clearly doesn't want to be there, no real sense of urgency etc.

TWOK, now their's a film I really enjoy.