Kirstie Alley

CptArcherNX01

Report this Aug. 11 2009, 8:49 pm

Does anyone know why Kirstie Alley didn't reprise her role as Saavik in Star Trek III?

captbates

Report this Aug. 11 2009, 9:15 pm

Probably because of money, she was a huge star back then.

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Aug. 11 2009, 9:20 pm

She wanted more money than the studio was willing to pay.

optigrab

Report this Aug. 11 2009, 10:48 pm

she would have reprised the role in "generations" but  got a better offer to do "fat bastard" in the austin powers movies.

MANTAN

Report this Aug. 12 2009, 3:34 am

Quote (optigrab @ Aug. 11 2009, 10:48 pm)
she would have reprised the role in "generations" but ¿got a better offer to do "fat bastard" in the austin powers movies.

LMAO OUCH! Oh man that was SOOO low....... but FREAKING FUNNY!

SpaceClown77

Report this Aug. 12 2009, 5:05 am

Well, I don't know about why she didn't reprise her role or not. What I do know is she was far better in that role than Robin Curtis, she just is a better actress. I found Curtis, even though I admit she's much more attractive than Kirstie, to be flat and bland in the role of Saavik. That's one of the things that brought down TSFS in my eyes not having Kirstie back.

ssmukhi

Report this Aug. 12 2009, 7:25 am

According to Memory Alpha

She was offered the chance to reprise the role in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, but according to Alley, she was offered less money for that film than she was paid for Star Trek II and thus declined to return. According to Leonard Nimoy, Alley's talent agent demanded a salary that was higher than DeForest Kelley's after learning that Saavik was to have a large role in the film.[1] Nimoy opted instead to recast the role of Saavik, which was ultimately given to Robin Curtis.

Imagine that, she wanted more than what DeForrest Kelley was getting! The nerve.

TexasAggie97

Report this Aug. 12 2009, 9:34 am

I just watched some of The Search for Spock and wondered how different it would have been to have Kirstie Alley reprise her role as Saavik.  I didn't like Curtis' lack of emotions during the course of the movie especially seeing how Alley had some emotions in TWOK.  Wasn't Saavik part Romulan or am I confusing her with Cattrall's character, Valeris, in The Undiscovered Country?

Admiral_JTK

Report this Aug. 12 2009, 9:43 am

Quote (SpaceClown77 @ Aug. 12 2009, 5:05 am)

Your kidding...Kirstie Alley was sooooo cute back then, then I saw this new Saavik and was like.....what happened with the hot chick? get that back.

captbates

Report this Aug. 12 2009, 3:25 pm

Quote (Admiral_JTK @ Aug. 11 2009, 2:43 pm)
Quote (SpaceClown77 @ Aug. 12 2009, 5:05 am)

Yeah, as a Cheers fan I was well pissed that Kirstie wasn't back for III, and of cousre she was waay hotter.  :)

Is it true that Kirstie is replacing Paula Abdul on American Idol? I know Posh is in for one show.

WkdYngMan

Report this Aug. 12 2009, 3:57 pm

Kirstie didn't join Cheers til a few years later in 1987.  So "Cheers" couldn't have been the culprit quite yet...

WkdYngMan

Report this Aug. 12 2009, 3:59 pm

Quote (starbase63 @ Aug. 12 2009, 3:13 pm)
Saavik wa supposed to be half Romulan according to early versions of the script and the novel adaptation, but the concept never made it to the final script or the final edit.

Actually, a scene was filmed in which we find out she is half-romulan.....

captbates

Report this Aug. 12 2009, 4:10 pm

Quote (WkdYngMan @ Aug. 11 2009, 8:57 pm)
Kirstie didn't join Cheers til a few years later in 1987. ¿So "Cheers" couldn't have been the culprit quite yet...

Nope, maybe I didn't word that correctly. She was better in the role and was missed in III anyway, and once she was in Cheers (becoming a bigger star) it always seemed a poor decision not to have cast her.

Josh_Lyman

Report this Aug. 12 2009, 6:44 pm

Quote (optigrab @ Aug. 10 2009, 11:48 pm)
she would have reprised the role in "generations" but ?got a better offer to do "fat bastard" in the austin powers movies.

:laugh: Awesome, totally awesome.  :laugh: