The Beatles: The best band ever

SpaceTherapist

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 11:11 am

I have been in a real Beatlemania mood recently. In my teens during the 70s I was obsessed with them at a time they were no longer cool according to my peers at the time. But history has demonstrated that they are still very popular.

Even their early music is still fresh and unlike anything that is being played today.

SpaceTherapist

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 11:22 am

Amen brother!

captbates

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 11:24 am

Should always be held up as the greatest band ever.

Music is changing so quickly, but I bet we'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't like at least one Beatles song.

Mirrorgirl

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 11:26 am

My sons (17 & 19) love the Beatles as much as I do. They are timeless. And I voted best band ever, because I could not in all conscience vote just 'they are alright' because clearly they are waaaay better than 'alright'

However I personally believe that Queen are the best/greatest band ever. :)

TwoOfThirteen

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 11:33 am

Rolling Stones was a ballsier band.

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 11:35 am

Quote (TwoOfThirteen @ Aug. 03 2009, 11:33 am)
Rolling Stones was a ballsier band.

I'm torn between the Stones and the Beatles.

SpaceTherapist

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 11:39 am

Quote (TwoOfThirteen @ Aug. 02 2009, 12:33 pm)
Rolling Stones was a ballsier band.

I can agree with that. The Beatles could rock but mostly their music was more of the pop variety and therefore that gave them more of a universal appeal.

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 11:47 am

Is it true that in the '60's there was a Stones camp, and a Beatles camp? You liked one or the other, but not both?

WilburWood

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 1:40 pm

Quote (starbase63 @ Aug. 03 2009, 11:20 am)
The only thing as big before them was Elvis...

Nothing has truly touched their wide ranging influence in all genres since.

:logical:

I heard a DJ on the radio yesterday saying that the joke around London in the late 60's was that either John or Paul could stumble in the studio and fall against the piano and they would have ANOTHER hit record! :D

akebono62

POSTS: 19767

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 1:49 pm

I think the Beatles are part of a small, but elite group of bands that could be considered the greatest.

I vote for these guys:

But, I would include the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and the Who in the top tier.

Sodo

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 1:54 pm

I like them, not necessarily a huge fan though. Still, agree they're the best band.

akebono62

POSTS: 19767

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 3:02 pm

Quote (starbase63 @ Aug. 03 2009, 11:32 am)
Quote (akebono62 @ Aug. 03 2009, 1:49 pm)

I vote for these guys:

Elvis
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Kinks (almost unsung as a forefather of Punk and New Wave)
Jimi Hendrix Experience

:logical:

If you include Elvis, you have to include Chuck Berry, as the Colonel helped influence Elvis' style and sound by incorporating elements of Berry's act and capitalizing on Berry's popularity.

Then, there's Little Richard and Muddy Waters, too-
Waters having influenced the early sound of the Rolling Stones and Richard's flamboyance influencing many of the rock elite- certainly Freddie Mercury, to a degree.

WilburWood

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 3:07 pm

Quote (starbase63 @ Aug. 03 2009, 2:29 pm)
Quote (WilburWood @ Aug. 03 2009, 1:40 pm)
Quote (starbase63 @ Aug. 03 2009, 11:20 am)
The only thing as big before them was Elvis...

Nothing has truly touched their wide ranging influence in all genres since.

:logical:

That was probably inspired by a remark attributed to Lennon around 1965, saying that they could record the Beatles scratching themselves and it would sell.

:logical:

Well, their songs certainly have legs, no one could argue with that.

Dewleaf

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 4:51 pm

I like The Beatles but, my personal favorite is Queen followed closely by Styx.

Mirrorgirl

Report this Aug. 03 2009, 8:41 pm

Quote (akebono62 @ Aug. 04 2009, 3:49 am)

I vote for these guys:

Yep, I'd go with all this.

Queen are the only band to have had Number One hits written by every member of the band. And of course they had Freddie Mercury - greatest front man in history.