Starting To Get Into Enterprise

Thyla

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 9:23 am

Ok, like many ST fans I fizzled out on Enterprise before Season 2 arrived. I have seen about a dozen episodes in repeats, and I have to confess that I thought they were all very bad.

However:

The new movie got me hungry for some fresh Trek, and I'd heard that Seasons 3 & 4 were not bad. So I picked up the Complete Series (the better bargain on Amazon.com).

I am pleased to say that so far, I am enjoying the 'Xindi' storyline immensely. I've seen 'Expanse', 'Xindi' & 'Anomaly', all excellent episodes. I'm a little disappointed that the writers couldn't have come up with a more optimistic storyline, but the story does keep you watching, and putting these rougher characters under pressure certainly draws out their more interesting qualities. The subtext is obvious, but it does raise important questions regarding morality during war-time. Overall, I'm hooked for the rest of the ride!

It seems that my initial opinion that Archer, Phlox & T'Pol were the most interesting characters holds true, for myself anyway. But Malcolm & Tripp are getting less boring as well.

Oh, for the record: I HATE the theme song!!!

BrotherofShran01

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 9:39 am

Hi Thyla. Welcome to the Enterprise Boards. :) I have watched all of the Star Trek series and I am a big TOS fan. I did not get into Enterprise until half way into Season 2. I think that it was Judgment that got me to watch the show on a regular basis.  I liked season three and loved season 4. I am a big fan of Shran and I love T'Pol (especially Mirror T'Pol). :)  You will find that all the characters are good even thought Travis did not get enough major story lines. Finally, I really don't like the Enterprise theme song. My brother has tried to convince me that it is not that bad, but I still don't like it. I'll take the "Terran Empire Theme music" to that song any day. Take a look at some of the threads, post, and have fun.  :D

grigori

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 9:51 am

Hi Thyla, welcome, look forward to your continued responses to the rest of the series.

Trip (one "p") in some ways grew the most during the series: from the moment he became pregnant to his emotionally-wrenching relationship with T'Pol to the time where he was indirectly cast as the first human parent of an inter-species child (with a tragically painful outcome), he was sort of the front-line recipient taking the brunt of all that could go sideways and wrong in humanity's first foray into the inter-planetary community.

But the character of Archer fascinates me; there's a bit more mystery at first to what motivates him. We know he was sort of groomed from childhood for the part (first Captain of the first human ship of exploration), and was grittier and more earthy than other ST Captains (I'm gonna knock you on your ass), then his considerable moral center takes a huge beating in the Xindi Conflict. But after all that, somehow he manages to pull from deep inside him the likes of this:
"No matter how far we travel or how fast we get there, the most profound discoveries are not necessarily beyond that next star. They're within us, woven into the threads that bind us. All of us, to each other."
Not so two-dimensional after all.

honeybee1111

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 10:13 am

Welcome, Thyla.

Season 2 has some pretty good stand alone episodes. Dead Stop, Minefield, Regeneration and Carbon Creek are all favorites of mine. I know other people, like BrotherofShran, love Judgement.

But Season 3, the show really comes into its own. And while it is very dark in the beginning, keep watching. It does stay true to Trek optimism, despite how challenged the crew is over the whole season. At its core, Archer must realize that his better angels must win out over the rage he feels - the circumstances in the Expanse bend his morals, but he's never fully broken - though he might argue with that - we (and later Captain Erika) see that he will pull through for the better. And that his actions have paved the way for a better world.

In Anomaly, Archer may airlock "waterboard" that Ossarian, but by Stratagem, you'll see Archer using brains rather than torture to get information.

I can't wait to hear what you think of Similitude and Twilight (often cited as the best episodes of the series). ¿I also like "North Star" - which is great homage to TOS and it furthers the optimism subtext that bubbles up through the season.

Trip really does play an important part in the Xindi arc, as he is the one who experienced a direct loss as a result of the attack - and thus by the time the story unfolds, he really has to get over the pain and move forward in order to help humanity survive. It's a great arc. Add to that a literally star-crossed romance with T'Pol, and there is plenty of interest there. ¿Not boring at all. :) ¿I also enjoy T'Pol's arc as well, as her emotional control is challenged by medical circumstances that I won't spoil - but its good stuff.

One thing nice about the DVDs, you can skip the theme song...it was okay for the first two seasons...but it does NOT fit the Xindi arc at ALL.

lostshaker

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 11:01 am

Quote (Yanks @ Aug. 01 2009, 10:01 am)
Welcome. Enjoy. Season 4 is the best season of trek ever made!!!

I would accept that as an axiom.

whyaduck

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 11:01 am

Welcome Thyla. I'm glad you've given Enterprise another chance.

It's funny how different people like different things. I really loved Seasons 1 and 2. A lot of my favorite episodes are in those two seasons. ¿We see Archer and the crew grow through those two seasons to where they can handle the Xindi and whatever comes there way. We see the relationships between the senior officers evolve and grow and find out about their backgrounds. We see Archer's moral underpinnings questioned and put to the test over and over again. As much as he is forced to do what would have been unthinkable to him before his mission, he still hangs on to his ingrained morality and beliefs, though he beats himself up over what he was forced to do and become.

We watch the awe, excitement, and wonderment with which they start the mission change over time. We see Archer's hate and distrust of Vulcans lessen as he works with T'pol. We see T'pol's feelings for humans in general and Archer and Trip in particular grow from derision to respect and love.

They should have had seven seasons to finish developing their stories/characters or at least a few TV movies to continue with the books The Good that Men Do and the other two to wipe away TATV.

Well, I'll get off my soapbox and quit rambling. As you can tell, I love Enterprise and its characters.

Again, Welcome. Join the discussions.

lostshaker

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 11:03 am

And welcome Thyla,

Season 3 by the end does nicely come around to being Trek. And I'm one to throw support for the theme song. It's Abrams' movie I can do without.

whyaduck

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 11:05 am

Quote (lostshaker @ Aug. 01 2009, 11:03 am)
And welcome Thyla,

Just curious, but why don't you think Seasons 1 and 2 "are trek?"

lostshaker

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 11:18 am

Quote (whyaduck @ Aug. 01 2009, 11:05 am)
Quote (lostshaker @ Aug. 01 2009, 11:03 am)
And welcome Thyla,

Just curious, but why don't you think Seasons 1 and 2 "are trek?"

Didn't mean to imply season 1 and 2 aren't, very sorry. This is the farthest thing from what I believe. I LOVE all of ENT. I don't even harbor much ill will towards TATV. My statement was meant to be read in the context of the season itself. You've got a situation that seems pretty bad and towards the end of it, the story and characters come around with a true Star Trek twist. I was perhaps too general for not wanting to give away spoilers.

whyaduck

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 11:22 am

Sorry, to have misunderstood. Your explanation makes sense. Thanks.

grigori

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 11:25 am

Anyhow, is anyone keeping TRACK of all the latecomer fans of Enterprise? I have a thesis to prove here! that of Enterprise's late Renaissance, upsurge in DVD sales, Trekkers who didn't originally want to like ENT but recently have begun to, the NEXT generation of kidlets whom I personally have helped to hook on the show, et cetera ad infinitum...

What I said before: you must factor in a whole hell of a lot more than initial ratings when gauging the greatness of a show. We're proving THAT thesis already.

whyaduck

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 11:33 am

Speaking of the new kidlets, my daughter watched Broken Bow and really liked it. I'm trying to come up with a sampling of episodes for her to watch to give her the flavor of the show.

grigori - any suggestions?

grigori

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 11:41 am

Quote (whyaduck @ Aug. 01 2009, 11:33 am)

grigori - any suggestions?

How old is she again? More cerebral, or action-oriented? ( or like Grigori, a STRANGE combo of both?! )

I think my niece got into the sexiness and romance first. Ah, well.

honeybee1111

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 11:43 am

I tend to think Season 3 of Enterprise compares very favorably to the overrated-after-season-2 BSG reboot - and I think people really over-saturated on darkness. I have gotten several people into Enterprise by showing them season three and saying "here's a treatment of 9/11 that doesn't shove itself off a darkness cliff, it topples there for awhile, but it doesn't fall." It brings us back to Trek optimism in the end. (I also think BSG ripped off the airlock waterboarding straight from Enterprise.)

And, I think as people get into Trek after the movie, they are rediscovering Enterprise. It's a show that if you don't know your supposed not like it, you'll probably like it.

whyaduck

Report this Aug. 01 2009, 1:08 pm

Quote (grigori @ Aug. 01 2009, 11:41 am)
Quote (whyaduck @ Aug. 01 2009, 11:33 am)

grigori - any suggestions?

I think my niece got into the sexiness and romance first. Ah, well.

She's 23. I think a combination, but leaning towards cerebral.  She does like TOS.