The City on the edge of forever

Ali88

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 5:36 pm

I though that episode is defiantly the strongest TOS episode and defiantly the best romance story in all of Star Trek and one of the best romance stories ever and possibly the greatest romantic tragedy story ever

This episode was a work of art, not just the art of love, hope and sacrifice but the art of Star Trek

WilburWood

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 5:52 pm

Best Trek ep of them all, any series! :cool:

Edgeways

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 5:59 pm

Undoubtably it was great.  But, it could have been better.  Harlon Ellison's original script was a lot grittier, and had to do with drug addiction.  All in all, one of the top ten episodes for sure.  But "greatest romantic tragedy story ever" would a bit of an overstatement.  :logical:

MrsStarbuck

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 6:03 pm

They should have saved it for a film, it would have been even more awesome with a full 2 hours to stretch out in.

KeiraScott

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 6:05 pm

It would have made a great film. But I don't think it was the best episode...actually I don't think there is a best episode, I think they're all good except maybe Way to Eden, they're just different.
Have you seen any interviews with Harlan Ellison? He was so mad that they changed his story

BrotherofShran01

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 6:20 pm

Definitely one of the classic TOS episodes and in my top ten list. I have that episode on iTunes.

My favorite line:

Edith Keeler: "Wha...what on earth is that?"
Spock: "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to create a mnemonic memory circuit, using stone knives ... and bearskins."

The saddest moment:

McCoy: "You deliberately stopped me! I could have saved her! Do you know what you just did?"
Spock: "He knows, doctor... he knows."
- after Kirk prevents McCoy from intervening in Keeler's death

Prime's Spock was back to the Prime universe

Spock: "A time portal, Captain: a gateway to other times and dimensions, if I'm correct."
The Guardian of Forever: "As correct as possible, for you. Your science knowledge is obviously primitive."

? ?- Spock and The Guardian of Forever, discussing its nature

Time Vortex Planet aka Planet Gateway

MrsStarbuck

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 6:25 pm

Quote (BrotherofShran01 @ July 25 2009, 12:20 am)

? ?- Spock and The Guardian of Forever, discussing its nature

he he...I love the look on Spock's face in that bit!

Renaikan

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 6:28 pm

My second favorite all time Trek episode, right behing Balance of Terror. Favorite scene, near the end of the episode where Kirk is forced to watch Edith die. Chokes me up everytime.

Mirrorgirl

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 9:31 pm

It truly is a classic, tragic love-story told beautifully and sensitively by the cast.

Harlen Ellison had every right as the writer to feel that his story was not being done justice, however there are restrictions to a 1 hour drama that demand tough decisions be made about what is included and what is changed, that is the job of the editors and producers, not the writer. Yes it could have been amazing as a two parter (or a movie) but that's not how things worked out. Instead we got the pithy and wonderfully moving story we did.

This episode is always right up there with fans as a favourite (it is my second favourite ep of all time). But in terms of a Star Trek romantic story, my favourite will always be the movies I - IV, now THAT is a romance!

StarTreKOSNG1Fan

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 11:02 pm

I love that episode too! Its actually one of my favorites from the 1st season and show put toghter! I also liked not just the romance in it, but the humor as well. One of my favorite parts in the episode is when Spock tell Kirk that he is gonna be a liitle more diffiacult explaining himself because of his ears! I think thats really funny!

WilburWood

Report this Jul. 26 2009, 8:34 am

Quote (Edgeways @ July 25 2009, 5:59 pm)
Undoubtably it was great. But, it could have been better. Harlon Ellison's original script was a lot grittier, and had to do with drug addiction. All in all, one of the top ten episodes for sure. But "greatest romantic tragedy story ever" would a bit of an overstatement. :logical:

Is that script available anywhere? I'd be very curious to see it.

Nyackjohn

Report this Jul. 27 2009, 5:14 pm

Quote (Edgeways @ July 25 2009, 5:59 pm)
Undoubtably it was great. ¿But, it could have been better. ¿Harlon Ellison's original script was a lot grittier, and had to do with drug addiction. ¿All in all, one of the top ten episodes for sure. ¿But "greatest romantic tragedy story ever" would a bit of an overstatement. ¿:logical:

Could we get over that PLEASE?? Ellison's script was completely impossible to film in 1966... no ifs ands or buts, no arguement. It could NOT have been done on Network Television. It also would have seriously undermined the characters within the show from that point on.

Having met Ellison in person and having to deal with him was really, really, really unpleasant.

The resulting fusion episode between Ellison's ideas and Roddenberry's fitting them into the Trek universe resulted in the best episode in series television, ever. Why can't we just leave it there?

Edgeways

Report this Jul. 27 2009, 8:28 pm

Quote (Nyackjohn @ July 27 2009, 3:14 pm)
Quote (Edgeways @ July 25 2009, 5:59 pm)
Undoubtably it was great. ?But, it could have been better. ?Harlon Ellison's original script was a lot grittier, and had to do with drug addiction. ?All in all, one of the top ten episodes for sure. ?But "greatest romantic tragedy story ever" would a bit of an overstatement. ?:logical:

I'm over it, NJ. I think maybe you need to talk about it, though.  Obviously this debate has stirred some deeply seeded resentment for this entire line of enquiry.  I suggest not adding to topics you don't wish to discuss.   :)

Anyacat

Report this Jul. 27 2009, 8:53 pm

Quote (Nyackjohn @ July 27 2009, 5:14 pm)
Quote (Edgeways @ July 25 2009, 5:59 pm)

Harlan hated the TV script and that's good enough for me. Harlan may be unpleasant, even deeply deeply unpleasant, but the man knows his craft. If the script was so impossible, why was it purchased in the first place?

Nyackjohn

Report this Jul. 27 2009, 11:47 pm

If he knew his craft, why did he write a script for network television in the 1960s that dealt with a topic that they wouldn't have allowed to be filmed? He knew science fiction, yes... but television, not so much.