One Important "Forgotten" Topic

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Jul. 24 2009, 4:45 pm

Did anybody wonder why the concept of collecting energy was abandoned after season 1.  I mean yeah the mess hall cut down on replicator usuage.  But it seems to me after the first few episodes of Voyager the topic of power usuage and shortage never really came up again.  Did I miss where they found the Holy Grail of energy that made the reserves never run dry.  Help me out here.

SLagonia

Report this Jul. 24 2009, 10:24 pm

Because it was a stupid problem.  They could run the holodecks 24/7 and eat and drink holographic food with impunity, but the replicators needed to be rationed?

TheDriver

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 12:36 am

These were the kinds of questions Ron Moore asked Brannon Braga after DS9 concluded and Moore was brought onto the VOY writing staff.

Apparently, Braga brushed Moore off, saying something along the lines of "we don't deal with those kinds of things here." Moore then allegedly got miffed because he felt he was being treated like a novice and because he felt the VOY writing staff was insulting the intelligence of its viewers. So he wrote only one episode and left the show.

And then brought the "events matter" and "actions have consequences" style he employed on DS9 to his ultra-successful BSG.

DRAGON_ROSE

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 4:34 am

they did run out of energy at one point didn't they in demon

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 2:25 pm

Yeah they did but I think TheDriver explains why I never did like Berman and Braga.  "We don't deal with these kinds of problems????"  That is simply ridiculous.  I mean every ship has an energy supply and it isn't infinite.  It made no sense that energy was not an issue.  Yeah in Demon it was mentioned but that was about it.  I'm glad that Star Trek said goodbye to the BnB boys it was time for them to leave.  They sound like people who you couldn't tell anything because they believe they are always right.

Dbear1

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 2:33 pm

There was plenty of episodes dealing with trying to get fuel for energy after season one, true life, haunting of deck Twelve, innocence, Flashback and Daemon all mentioned trying to get different elements to fuel parts of the ships.  They just did not make it a primary storyline.

As for eating holodeck food, that really would not provide any nourishment.

captbates

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 2:45 pm

Quote (SLagonia @ July 24 2009, 3:24 am)
Because it was a stupid problem. ¿They could run the holodecks 24/7 and eat and drink holographic food with impunity, but the replicators needed to be rationed?

If I remember correctly the energy from the holodeck systems was not compatable with the replicators.

SLagonia

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 2:49 pm

Quote (captbates @ July 24 2009, 5:45 pm)
Quote (SLagonia @ July 24 2009, 3:24 am)
Because it was a stupid problem. ?They could run the holodecks 24/7 and eat and drink holographic food with impunity, but the replicators needed to be rationed?

Correct, which is stupid.  They can take alien technology and get it to work, but they can't get the ship to work with other parts of the ship?

captbates

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 2:58 pm

Quote (RedShirtGuyNumber1001 @ July 23 2009, 9:45 pm)
Did anybody wonder why the concept of collecting energy was abandoned after season 1. ¿I mean yeah the mess hall cut down on replicator usuage. ¿But it seems to me after the first few episodes of Voyager the topic of power usuage and shortage never really came up again. ¿Did I miss where they found the Holy Grail of energy that made the reserves never run dry. ¿Help me out here.

It did come up from time to time, but would have been annoying if overused.
Voyager acquired new technology all the time, improving the ship and its systems, in "The Void" the replicator system was upgraded to reduce power by a massive amount.

One of the main energy requirements for a starship is Deuterium and this can be found almost anywhere.

captbates

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 2:59 pm

Quote (SLagonia @ July 24 2009, 7:49 pm)
Quote (captbates @ July 24 2009, 5:45 pm)
Quote (SLagonia @ July 24 2009, 3:24 am)

Correct, which is stupid. ¿They can take alien technology and get it to work, but they can't get the ship to work with other parts of the ship?

Yeah, I never really liked the idea, but I suppose it served a purpose on the show.  :O

SLagonia

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 3:01 pm

Quote (captbates @ July 24 2009, 5:59 pm)
Quote (SLagonia @ July 24 2009, 7:49 pm)
Quote (captbates @ July 24 2009, 5:45 pm)
Quote (SLagonia @ July 24 2009, 3:24 am)

Correct, which is stupid. ?They can take alien technology and get it to work, but they can't get the ship to work with other parts of the ship?

Yeah, I never really liked the idea, but I suppose it served a purpose on the show. ¿:O

They would have been better off either scrapping the holodeck stories, or delaying them until the problem was taken care of (or found some other way around it, like being on an alien holodeck).

rocketscientist

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 6:15 pm

Quote (captbates @ July 25 2009, 2:45 pm)
Quote (SLagonia @ July 24 2009, 3:24 am)

Which is ridiculous.  With their technology, there shouldn't have been a problem.

Moore, imo, was right about VOY.  He said BnB weren't playing fair with the audience, that they weren't being that true to their premise, and he was right imo.

And he showed that with BSG.

TransphasicTorpedoes

Report this Jul. 26 2009, 1:51 am

Quote (captbates @ July 24 2009, 3:58 pm)
Quote (RedShirtGuyNumber1001 @ July 23 2009, 9:45 pm)
Did anybody wonder why the concept of collecting energy was abandoned after season 1. ?I mean yeah the mess hall cut down on replicator usuage. ?But it seems to me after the first few episodes of Voyager the topic of power usuage and shortage never really came up again. ?Did I miss where they found the Holy Grail of energy that made the reserves never run dry. ?Help me out here.

It did come up from time to time, but would have been annoying if overused.

I think it's handled just fine.

autumntastic

Report this Jul. 26 2009, 4:48 pm

I do wonder why it isn't brought up much, but then again, it would become very redundant after a few episodes. lol "In this episode: Voyager is still searching for fuel...will they find it?" Though with a lot of science fiction, I notice that small logistics like that - in some cases - sort of get overlooked. What I thought should have been addressed is how come Naomi Wildman looks like eight years old at the end of the series when she can't be more than five?

lostshaker

Report this Jul. 26 2009, 9:51 pm

Quote (autumntastic @ July 26 2009, 4:48 pm)

It's the alien DNA. Much like how Alexander seemed to skip a few years between TNG and DS9. Those aliens mature at warp speed.

Users browsing this forum: darmokattanagra, FleetAdmiral_BamBam