Inner Light Question

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 8:55 am

I just got done watching The Inner Light which I think is probably the best TNG episode there is.  There is one thing that has always confused me.  It would be very difficult for me to believe that after a person experienced something like that,  (Living an entire life, falling in love and raising a family) would not be permanently affected by those events.  Maybe having that experience could have caused Picard to evaluate his decision to think of only his career.  I mean it seems like after enjoying a family maybe he would want one some day, but there was nothing in the events of the TNG series or the movies that indicated that he had changed at all.  What do you guys think?

DarthRage

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 9:36 am

I agree that that event will be with him the rest of his life. How could it not? I always thought it would have caused him to maybe pursue a family of his own? Or, maybe that's exactly what it did. Gave him a family, a family he never had, and in his heart, the only only family he will ever have. To have Picard go through that, and then ignore the consequences puzzled me as well.

honeybee1111

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 1:06 pm

I believe there was at least a reference or two to Picard's experiences in the Inner Light later in the series - and the fact that he kept that flute signified he wasn't going to forget.

But I think the irony and/or beauty of The Inner Light is that it showed Picard the road not taken. He knew he could never have a family and be the great man he was.

I do agree that it was a little bit of a stretch that he psychologically recovered so quickly. :)

DarthJester

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 6:34 pm

After a lifetime out of Starfleet he was ready to return to his captains seat... that bugs me. Was he really ready to take command after being away from it for so long? He must've forgotten something etc.

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 11:59 pm

Yeah I often wondered that myself.  Did he forget things after the experience?  I always thought it was a shame that this episode was overlooked in the future.  Did anyone think that Generations did something horrible when Picard learned of his brother and nephews death and then he stated, "Now there will be no more Picards."  I thought the BnB boys screwed up when they allowed that.

Sevrin

Report this Jul. 24 2009, 12:46 pm

This is a downfall of the TNG series as a whole, virtually nothing that happens in one ep has an effect on other eps. I would have thought that Picard's torture in Chain of Command would have had many many echos through the rest of the show, but I don't believe that it is even mentioned again. Also the relationship he has in Lessons, I saw in the DVD extras that they wanted to develop it over several eps but they weren't allowed.

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Jul. 24 2009, 4:39 pm

Yeah I think this might have been why Star Trek began to fade out, I mean I remember when Enterprise ended how incredibly annoyed I was that they went from a really good story with Terra Prime and Peter Weller to that ridiculous season finale.

DarthJester

Report this Jul. 24 2009, 4:55 pm

Quote (RedShirtGuyNumber1001 @ July 23 2009, 1:59 am)
Yeah I often wondered that myself. ¿Did he forget things after the experience? ¿I always thought it was a shame that this episode was overlooked in the future. ¿Did anyone think that Generations did something horrible when Picard learned of his brother and nephews death and then he stated, "Now there will be no more Picards." ¿I thought the BnB boys screwed up when they allowed that.

I have wondered WHY was it necessary to kill Robert and his son, just because Soran would be menacing when he says "The time is a fire in which we burn" to Picard? That was just stupid, one of the reasons Generation sucked, heavily.

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Jul. 24 2009, 5:13 pm

I agree they could have left that on the cutting room floor.  I don't think Picard saw that as a mind rape.

nthdrone

Report this Jul. 24 2009, 6:57 pm

Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series was a good example of one episode having ramifications on the succeeding episodes and even succeeding seasons. The new BSG did the same. Yeah, this was one of the weaknesses of Trek.

SLagonia

Report this Jul. 24 2009, 11:14 pm

Well, within the context of the episode, we saw that it effected him deeply.  The way he clutches that flute at the end is gutwrenching.  Of course the episodic nature of the program made it so that it was rarely ever brought up again, which is a shame.

SLagonia

Report this Jul. 24 2009, 11:15 pm

Quote (Yanks @ July 24 2009, 1:21 am)
Quote (trekbuff @ July 24 2009, 5:48 pm)
Hi honeybee1111!

Welcome to the boards!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote (honeybee1111 @ July 22 2009, 1:06 pm)

Yup. I would have taken a couple of weeks to regroup, think about life's choices and gone from there. That had to have a large effect on Picard, not necessarily traumatic. To finally settle into that "life" only to be shocked back into reality...

I never saw it as a mind rape and was surprised to recently hear the experience referred to in such terms. The people of Kataan new they were doomed and did what they thought would let them live on in some way and let someone know they existed. I don't think it did permanent harm to Picard, but it sure effected him.

The Kataan had no idea what effect there mind beam would or could have on another species.

Build a temple for gods sake.

That said, I loved the episode.

A temple would never have gotten the point across.  Notice we saw almost nothing of their culture or government in the episode.  This was not a list of acomplishments or a scientific achievement, it was the life of one person.  This is how they wanted to be remembered - As each of them lived.  When you do that, you make it so that every one of them lives on again in the heart of the host.

Vold

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 7:44 am

Actually having thought of having a family like a real one, some people rather not to get married again.
A one in a life thing.

captbates

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 8:45 am

Quote (DarthJester @ July 23 2009, 9:55 pm)
Quote (RedShirtGuyNumber1001 @ July 23 2009, 1:59 am)
Yeah I often wondered that myself. ?Did he forget things after the experience? ?I always thought it was a shame that this episode was overlooked in the future. ?Did anyone think that Generations did something horrible when Picard learned of his brother and nephews death and then he stated, "Now there will be no more Picards." ?I thought the BnB boys screwed up when they allowed that.

Remember that they needed a plot device for Picard to leave the Nexus, it was important to the film that they were killed, but I agree, it did seem kinda harsh and should have been written differently.

captbates

Report this Jul. 25 2009, 8:54 am

Quote (RedShirtGuyNumber1001 @ July 21 2009, 1:55 pm)
I just got done watching The Inner Light which I think is probably the best TNG episode there is. ¿There is one thing that has always confused me. ¿It would be very difficult for me to believe that after a person experienced something like that, ¿(Living an entire life, falling in love and raising a family) would not be permanently affected by those events. ¿Maybe having that experience could have caused Picard to evaluate his decision to think of only his career. ¿I mean it seems like after enjoying a family maybe he would want one some day, but there was nothing in the events of the TNG series or the movies that indicated that he had changed at all. ¿What do you guys think?

I think of the events like a memory graft Picard was always aware who he really was, although his real life did start to fade into the background, and when he was released by the probe his own personality returned to the forefront, pushing the memories of Kataan into his sub concious, more like a very vivid dream, always there to remember but not so strong as to influence his every day actions. Yeah it had a profound effect on Picard, but obviously the probe was designed NOT to change the person it linked to.