Why do people still refer to people by the color

loveroftrekmen

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 5:11 am

Isn't odd that people still call each other by color.

If your from America than your an American.

Do you think of yourself as white, black, yellow?  Or do you think of yourself as American, British, French, or whereever you may be from?

Do you look at other people and think of them as black, white, yellow, etc.?

Do you think it is a psycological problem if you see the world in racial colors like that?  Could it be poor education that causes that?

We are all the same species and in all matters the same as human beings.  Some of us do not do segregate by color.  Why do some people not segregate by color?

I can answer the latter.  I was raised that all people were equal, so I have never even noticed.  I often have friends that say "that guy is white" or "that woman was black", and until they say it I never even noticed.  I am always curious why it didn't even dawn on me that they were a different color, but it did my friend.  I always think of people by their name and sometimes by their country.

ssmukhi

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 6:29 am

If you are questioned by the police for a crime you witnessed, it helps to identify the race of the suspect.

Splurk

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 6:44 am

The point is, there are three things about people, those being:

- race
- gender
- age group

that most people instantly notice, also, most people find it impossible to think of a human being without filling those three in. Some one is either male or female, an age group a race. But it's perfectly possible to leave people's musical taste open, their hair colour, their type of fingers, their eye colour and so on.

So that's probably why. I find it pretty irrelevant and have always been able to leave those three open. Being able to judge age race and gender was some thing that I couldn't as a child, had to learn, and then later on found out just how stupid and arbitrary it is.

I'm still baffled by that most people can see the difference between some one of 15 years old and 20 years old, but I don't think I want to see it, it fuels praejudices, and almost all of those have to do with those criteria one way or another.

I think of myself as 'an entity', not even as a human, to answer your question. I'm not conscious of my age, my gender, my race, my species or any of that at any point. So also not 'I'm from America' or a lack thereof. Kind of like Jadzia Dax.

chr3335

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 7:15 am

Quote (loveroftrekmen @ July 21 2009, 6:11 am)
Isn't odd that people still call each other by color. ¿

If your from America than your an American.

Do you think of yourself as white, black, yellow? ¿Or do you think of yourself as American, British, French, or whereever you may be from? ¿

Do you look at other people and think of them as black, white, yellow, etc.?

Do you think it is a psycological problem if you see the world in racial colors like that? ¿Could it be poor education that causes that? ¿

We are all the same species and in all matters the same as human beings. ¿Some of us do not do segregate by color. ¿Why do some people not segregate by color?

I can answer the latter. ¿I was raised that all people were equal, so I have never even noticed. ¿I often have friends that say "that guy is white" or "that woman was black", and until they say it I never even noticed. ¿I am always curious why it didn't even dawn on me that they were a different color, but it did my friend. ¿I always think of people by their name and sometimes by their country.

Because some groups have decided to identify themselves by their skin color.

Two groups that will always bring it up in america White supremacist and militant Blacks

Splurk

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 7:30 am

Malcolm X: NATION OF ISLAM.

OtakuJo

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 9:12 am

Human beings are natural taxonomists. It is the very first means by which most people learn about their world is by generalising, then specifying.

As in, Furry thing = cat. Oh, so the next furry thing also = cat. Oops. No it = dog.
So, this furry thing is a cat, but not all furry things are cats...

It's one of the most basic lessons, to learn how to classify. And the more similar something / someone is to us, the more likely we are to notice very minor differences.

How many people -- without really looking or being told -- would notice that an archetypal chimpanzee is different to a Banobo?

I think that people will always notice differences, and to acknowledge difference may not be invalid. For example, a racial distinction may mark one person as practising a particular culture or having certain ancestors -- and (as a point that is just as valid for every race and creed, I think.) on the condition that this is not harmful to others, that person should be able to assert his/her distinctiveness.

So from that perspective, racial / ancestral ties are valid. It's only when such distinctions become harmful -- as in for instance discriminatory policies, prejudice, and the white supremacist or black panther movements -- that people call for a homogenised society.

I guess the better situation would be not that we ignore ethnic ties and so on, but to celebrate and embrace diversity in all its forms.

phew. That was weirdly deep. Here's hoping it made some kind of sense.

Splurk

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 10:07 am

Quote (Yourstruly_Jack_theRipper @ July 22 2009, 10:40 am)
If your from America than your an American.

There is the subliminal indirect ant-American slur.
Typical of all LOTM.
LOTM will knock traditions, Judeo/Christian faith/morals and America in almost each and every thread LOTM creates

Don't fall for it guys!

What the hell?

You really see what you want to see, get lost.

akebono62

POSTS: 19767

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 10:10 am

dp- oops!

akebono62

POSTS: 19767

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 10:11 am

Quote (loveroftrekmen @ July 22 2009, 2:11 am)
Isn't odd that people still call each other by color. ¿

If your from America than your an American.

Do you look at other people and think of them as black, white, yellow, etc.?

Do you think it is a psychological problem if you see the world in racial colors like that? ¿Could it be poor education that causes that? ¿

In L.A. County, the only ones who seem to push differences are the Americans of Mexican ancestry and the Americans of African descent.

Euro-ancestored Americans no longer seem to care about labels and the Asian-ancestored Americans I've encountered don't label themselves either.

"Native" Americans seem to be split into two groups: those who consider themselves to be of whatever tribal affiliation they adhere to, or Americans.

Splurk

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 10:14 am

Quote (Yourstruly_Jack_theRipper @ July 22 2009, 11:10 am)

Splurk
Sounds like you and LOTM are one of a kind

I guess yiou need more time to ripen on the vine to open your eyes.

That? Or maybe? Just maybe? You're simply wrong?

Does your ego allow you to consider that possibility?

Iesv Christe. Anti American slur? Get real, you really see any thing you want to see it that.

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 10:28 am

Quote (akebono62 @ July 22 2009, 10:11 am)
Quote (loveroftrekmen @ July 22 2009, 2:11 am)
Isn't odd that people still call each other by color. ?

If your from America than your an American.

Do you think of yourself as white, black, yellow? ?Or do you think of yourself as American, British, French, or whereever you may be from? ?

Do you look at other people and think of them as black, white, yellow, etc.?

Do you think it is a psychological problem if you see the world in racial colors like that? ?Could it be poor education that causes that? ?

We are all the same species and in all matters the same as human beings. ?Some of us do not do segregate by color. ?Why do some people not segregate by color?

I can answer the latter. ?I was raised that all people were equal, so I have never even noticed. ?I often have friends that say "that guy is white" or "that woman was black", and until they say it I never even noticed. ?I am always curious why it didn't even dawn on me that they were a different color, but it did my friend. ?I always think of people by their name and sometimes by their country.

My tribe got rubbed out a couple hundred years ago, so it's hard to affiliate myself with them.

Corwin8

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 12:10 pm

When the people who are hyphenated Americans stop referring to themselves as such, then it will just be a way to id people, as in pink, green, black, white.

But some folks need to seperate themselves into the victim class.

Garfield23

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 12:35 pm

I'm flemish  :question:
But i'm a trek-fan, soccer-fan and beerlover too  :cool:

natenemo

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 1:42 pm

Maybe because it's distinctive,etc... :eyesroll:

draeden06

Report this Jul. 22 2009, 1:49 pm

"How can you be in, if there is no outside?"

Not One of Us by Peter Gabriel