Xindi Nomenclature

Splurk

Report this Jul. 18 2009, 12:34 am

Apparently in broadcasted versions, I find some versions that call them the 'Xindi-Primates' and others that call them the 'Xindi-Humanoids' (absurd since it was already established that Reptilian bipedals like cardassians are also 'humanoid')

Is this because some conservative audiences would object to the species resembling humans most to be called 'primates' and especially Dolim calling Sato a 'primate female'? I found that one of the strongest moments namely, for a reptilian lifeform, we'd be just a primate species, not all that different from your random other hominids like gorillas or chimps.

Memory-Alpha seems to call them primates, but this site calls them 'humanoids'.

ENT567

Report this Jul. 18 2009, 6:07 am

;)
Cardassians were not known at ENT times.
Maybe Cardassians are a bit less "reptilian" (in all senses) than Dolim and co?

Damien

Report this Jul. 19 2009, 8:09 pm

I call the Human race Human, Homo Sapiens, people... usually I just use 'people' but sometimes I call the human race far worse names. Using 'Primate' is far more accurate than 'Humanoid'... humanoid covers a lot of ground as you pointed out

I have never heard even the wildest rumor about catering to a conservative audience (I would be very sad to find out this was true), I think it was just the ENT writers using different words for the same thing

honeybee1111

Report this Jul. 19 2009, 9:50 pm

Oh, I don't think that ENT was conservative or ever tried to appeal to conservatives. At the time ENT was tanking in the ratings, I was depressed over the fact that Trek's overt humanism (if not precise liberalism) wasn't appealing to the masses. I've always thought Trek was screamingly liberal in some cases and moderately so in others. Battlestar Galactica is a far more politically conservative show, in my opinion.

I always thought the Xindi were an over-the-top metaphor for the so-called Muslim World. At first, our heroes don't even understand that there are more than one kind of Xindi - let alone five separate groups. Eventually, Archer has to learn about the history and culture of each group to figure out the nature of the first attack and how to stop the second...and must use a mixture of intelligence, espionage, diplomacy and applied military might to complete his mission.

As for the nomenclature, it may have been changed for various international broadcasts for clarity - or the writers tried to fix mistakes in nomenclature.

But I will say that that I wish that at least one of more suspicious-looking Xindi Species (Insectazoid or Reptilian) would have turned out to be good. That would have been a nice message. But hey, you can't have everything.

grigori

Report this Jul. 19 2009, 9:58 pm

Quote (honeybee1111 @ July 19 2009, 9:50 pm)

interesting, 'bee...room to extend the allegory, too.
anyway, I like it!

Report this Jul. 20 2009, 8:04 pm

Quote (Splurk @ July 18 2009, 12:34 am)
Apparently in broadcasted versions, I find some versions that call them the 'Xindi-Primates' and others that call them the 'Xindi-Humanoids' (absurd since it was already established that Reptilian bipedals like cardassians are also 'humanoid';)

Memory-Alpha seems to call them primates, but this site calls them 'humanoids'.

I thought the Xindi primates were the sloths?

honeybee1111

Report this Jul. 20 2009, 8:46 pm

I thought the Arboreals were the sloths...that was always very confusing, two essentially primate, mammal Xindi....

whyaduck

Report this Jul. 20 2009, 9:57 pm

Quote (GoodGirlsDo @ July 20 2009, 8:04 pm)
I thought the Xindi primates were the sloths?

Primate:

whyaduck

Report this Jul. 20 2009, 9:58 pm

Quote (honeybee1111 @ July 20 2009, 8:46 pm)

Aboreal:

stovokor2000

Report this Jul. 21 2009, 4:07 am

Quote (ENT567 @ July 18 2009, 6:07 am)
Cardassians were not known at ENT times.

Thats actually incorrect.

The Vulcans knew of Cardassians as early as 2245 and thats a few years before the NX was launched.

stovokor2000

Report this Jul. 21 2009, 4:50 am

Quote (ZeroArmour @ July 21 2009, 4:27 am)
Quote (stovokor2000 @ July 21 2009, 4:07 am)
Quote (ENT567 @ July 18 2009, 6:07 am)
Cardassians were not known at ENT times.

Thats actually incorrect.

The NX class was launched in 2151, so either you put in the wrong date, or your facts are wrong.

I did make a mistake with my facts.

I got some info from 1 series mixed with an other.Must be the meds.

Archers crew did encounter at least 1 Cardassian but there was no indication that they reconised them.

stovokor2000

Report this Jul. 21 2009, 5:23 am

Quote (ZeroArmour @ July 21 2009, 4:53 am)
Quote (stovokor2000 @ July 21 2009, 4:50 am)
Quote (ZeroArmour @ July 21 2009, 4:27 am)
Quote (stovokor2000 @ July 21 2009, 4:07 am)
Quote (ENT567 @ July 18 2009, 6:07 am)
Cardassians were not known at ENT times.

Thats actually incorrect.

I did make a mistake with my facts.

I got some info from 1 series mixed with an other.Must be the meds.

Must have missed that, when did they see a Cardie?

The episode was called "Dead Stop"

The crew stops as this weird space station for repairs and while there they find out that it kidnaps members of every crew to visit.

When they rescue Travis they discover a room filled with alien bodies....one was a Cardaian.

I dont have any pics if your going to ask.

grigori

Report this Jul. 21 2009, 12:44 pm

I think the Cardassian species was also MENTIONED, in a list of others, in some episode (by the Vulcans or something), but I'll have to look into that as well.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Jul. 21 2009, 12:49 pm

Quote (grigori @ July 21 2009, 12:44 pm)

Background info about Dead stop from Memory Alpha:
Among the many alien bodies are a Klingon, a Vulcan, a Cardassian, a Xepolite, a species that closely resembles the Vaadwaur, and a member of Kago-Darr's species.

honeybee1111

Report this Jul. 24 2009, 4:42 pm

The cardassians were sort of "Dawn-ed" into TNG weren't they? (Like Buffy's sister in season five). They hadn't been mentioned before but they suddenly appeared as this enemy species with a border on the federation and a long history of conflict - including the Bajoran occupation. The implication was that they had been in conflict for many years.

Dead Stop is one of my favorite, favorite episodes by the way. Enterprise did scary better than any Trek series as far as I am concerned. Regeneration, Dead Stop and Impulse are all terrific homages to classic horror scenarios.

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam, wissa