Your local grocery store

Lucifer_

Report this Jul. 15 2009, 10:13 pm

simple enough topic...What grocery stores are in your locality and which ones do you shop with? I'm kind of interested in hearing the names of chains and mom 'n' pop stores from around the nation and the globe as well as places that might not fit the norm for a grocer.

The main choices in my hometown consist of Meijer, Wal-Mart, Cub Foods, Kroger, Aldi and a Trader Joe's. There also used to be a local supermarket called "Woody's" but they closed down a few years ago because of the all the corporate competition; when my local Wal-Mart became a "super" Wal-Mart, Woody's just couldn't compete. Out of the above choices, it's Aldi for teh win, unless I need specialty items not found there.

A bizarre international supermarket in the Fairfield, OH area called "Jungle Jim's" is another favorite place of mine to shop. They have just about anything food related from around the world you could possibly imagine. They also have an aisle of nothing but hot sauces ranging from the bizarre to the exotic. Inside the store is a replica of the USS Minnow and they also have statues and large animatronic displays of characters associated with different food brands adding to the amusement park atmosphere of the place. Their most recent addition was a 6 foot replica of the statue of Liberty visible as you walk into the world famous international market.

If I can't make it to Jungle Jim's, the Saigon Fish Market in Miamisburg, OH still meets my international needs, mainly oriental sauces, Korean kim chee and ramen noodles...not the crap they sell in regular stores, I'm talking about the good stuff with hardly any English writing on the packages, which is far superior.

akebono62

POSTS: 19767

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 1:41 am

Quote (Lucifer_ @ July 15 2009, 7:13 pm)

Natural/Organic

Stater Bros

Vons

LA County, CA

* hard to categorize.

OtakuJo

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 1:53 am

I don't like to shop (for groceries, anyway.) It's necessary, but boring.

Still.

I go to the Warehouse, Countdown, occasionally New World, and the Asian grocery shop a little way down from where I live.

loveroftrekmen

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 2:01 am

New Seasons - Organic NW chain. ¿Supplies local produce and fruit and meat. ¿Fresh and Organic. ¿Carries mostly products without chemicals, high frutose junk, or any nasty perservatives. ¿Again mostly local. ¿larger than most safeways, so you can always find what you want. ¿Big chain in Oregon, so there is one everywhere. ¿You never have to eat processed, chemical, make me sleepy junk in this town. ¿:)

For speciality items we go to Uwajimaya for Japanese foods.  NW chain in seattle and portland.

Dewleaf

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 2:01 am

I shop at either Albertsons, Krogers, Tom Thumb, Minyards or Walmart for my groceries.

Commodore_Dingbat

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 2:52 am

Tesco
Asda
Morrisons
Lidl
Netto

The local open market for fruit, veg and meat.

Savers for toiletries as its sooooooooo much cheaper

akebono62

POSTS: 19767

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 3:08 am

Quote (Commodore_Dingbat @ July 15 2009, 11:52 pm)
Tesco
Asda
Morrisons
Lidl
Netto

The local open market for fruit, veg and meat.

Savers for toiletries as its sooooooooo much cheaper

How do you like Tesco?

I like Fresh and Easy- Tesco's US franchise.

Lucifer_

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 3:26 am

Gods, I love some of the names being thrown out...Sprouts, HOWS, Tom Thumb. :D

juliansgirl7

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 10:54 am

For me. it depends on who has the 2 litre Cokes on sale, and it's between king Kullen, Waldbaum's and Pathmark. Starting tomorrow at Pathmark, the sodas will be only 69 cents a bottle-Yay! the other two stores never had it that cheap! the lowest they ever went was a buck a bottle(considering the reg price is about $2 per bottle). If no store has Coke on sale, then I'll just go to Waldbaums and get the soda elsewhere(Cross-Island Fruits)

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 10:56 am

VONS, Stater Bros., Albertsons, Food4Less among others.....

chr3335

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 10:59 am

Mostly the NEX and the Commisary but really don't do much shopping.

juliansgirl7

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 11:21 am

^You're in the Military?-Or is it your spouse?

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 11:40 am

Giant
Freeds
Landis
Weiss
Acme
Superfresh

Avenger_Class2009

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 12:37 pm

Trader Joe's
Grat place to get healthy stuff and things

Trader Joe's

chr3335

Report this Jul. 16 2009, 1:54 pm

Quote (juliansgirl7 @ July 15 2009, 12:21 pm)
^You're in the Military?-Or is it your spouse?

I am in the US Navy